Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Bee in your Bonnet?

(84 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 07-Feb-16 12:35:29

Here you are - a thread all ready for discussion of Age UK Enterprises!

POGS Sun 14-Feb-16 10:50:08

Who knows MiniMouse. It was a personal question after all .

MiniMouse Sat 13-Feb-16 16:09:18

Pogs the same thought crossed my mind, too! Perhaps Realgrandad has decided to test the water from a different angle? hmm

POGS Sat 13-Feb-16 10:29:10

Granddaughter

I have noted your user name, political thought and style of writing not only on this thread but on others you have posted on emulate Realgranddad .

I can't help but note you started posting the moment Realgranddad seemed to disappear.

Are you two by any chance related or a pure coincidence. I am not being rude nor am I trying to 'frighten you away' as you mentioned in a previous post. Simply asking an honest question which you have absolutely no pressure to reply to.

wot Thu 11-Feb-16 18:52:03

Granddaughter never did get back to us, did she? How annoying!

Elegran Wed 10-Feb-16 21:40:29

There are plenty of places where the input is valuable and welcomed, but inevitably there are far more posts from female posters than male ones - women do more chatting in Real Life too. It is unrealistic to imagine the forum being artificially manipulated to be any different, people post what they want, and reply to what they want.

I think some grandads start to feel outnumbered. Some (probably the ones who talk a lot offline too) do continue to post, but others lose interest.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 21:34:27

Grandaughter I can't understand your post there. Can you try again?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 21:31:47

If RealGranddad was in the Battle of Britain, he'd be about ninetyfive. Perhaps he is.

Granddaughter Wed 10-Feb-16 21:27:48

Ana, a wide range pf view is fantastic and most welcome. Its when they get out of hand and insulting as they have during the last few weeks, Kitty RealGD etc

I enjoy many of yours post even when they are snappynot able to .

Just ask why are we able to keep Granddads on the Net ?

Elegran Wed 10-Feb-16 21:25:50

The average age in not really relevant - we certainly have posters whose ages range from well under 50 to almost 100 - a range of fifty years or so, so there is no such thing as a "typical" age. Posters of the same age differ widely in their views, too, just as in Real Life.

Incidentally, if Realgrandad spent some of the 1940s dodging flak in the cockpit of a fighter plane, then he is about 100.

durhamjen Wed 10-Feb-16 21:24:46

How old are you, Granddaughter?

Ana Wed 10-Feb-16 20:48:36

What's wrong with a wide range of views anyway?

annsixty Wed 10-Feb-16 20:45:14

If you want to collate the ages I am a regular poster and I am 78. One of the older GNers and posters.

Granddaughter Wed 10-Feb-16 20:08:20

I wonder what the avge age is on GN ? The views are so wide they must be many from different era's.

Many views are so catty they annoy me, yet many are considerate and respectful, but far to many seem to be wanting a squabble and take no notice of older citizen views. In fact, they are only one's they believe are right.

I would love to hear the views of granddads if they have not been frightened away.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 22:54:25

stevepottinger.co.uk/no-one-likes-an-angry-poet/

This one is not on his website, but this is the one I saw first before I was given the book.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 22:46:56

stevepottinger.co.uk/poems/comrade-osborne/

Another poem, Eloethan, which you will probably relate to. It's also a link to lots of others by him, some of which are in the book.

Jalima Tue 09-Feb-16 20:04:00

I can definitely relate it to DH, but I am still all sweetness and light grin

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:03:34

Should we stand by our beds?

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-16 19:58:15

I love that poem durhamjen and, sadly, I can relate to it blush

Jalima Tue 09-Feb-16 19:51:44

Well, that was short-lived!!

I think most of the posts consisted of kindly advice on how to join in non-gender-specific threads (which was, in the main, ignored).

Perhaps, I need to return to the world of academia for an upgrade
I did think you would manage to stay on here until at least the end of half-term Realgg.

mcem Tue 09-Feb-16 19:38:46

And pompous!!!!

wot Tue 09-Feb-16 19:22:30

How rude!!!!!!!!

Realgranddad Tue 09-Feb-16 18:34:23

Hi jinglbellsfrocks.

Touchy, ding dong's, the reference to academia, was nothing to do with having a degree. My association was with how out of touch I am from my student days, and I inferred I need re-educating, perhaps I should have said back to school.
My mentioning of the discussions at an older people meeting I did not consider to be waffle, nor were my comments of how I got it wrong when I joined gransnet. it was more of an apology for the clangers I dropped.

It seems that it does not matter what I say, it seems I am going to upset a gran. Instead of returning to academia. perhaps, I should dream of returning to the air attacks of the 40's, where I believe I attracted far less flack when sitting in a cockpit, even though it was a living nightmare at the time.

Bye Bye grans, I feel I should now sign off in case I am waffling to much.
Not sure if I shall be coming back.

James (Retired RAF Aircrew)

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:54:31

Sorry, it's on Amazon and tax,

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1217040-Amazon-and-tax

mcem Tue 09-Feb-16 17:53:50

I've just counted 49 forum topics and if out if those you can find only 2 which fit your non gender-specific criteria I'm inclined to think that perhaps you're too narrowminded set in your ways for GN.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:52:58

I had an excellent poetry book for Christmas. It's called "More bees bigger bonnets".
It begins

They told me
I'd calm down
as I got older
but to be honest
I find that age is bringing
more bees, bigger bonnets.

Realgrandad, I mentioned the Dispatches programme on another thread. Gillybob said she was going to watch it.
I think it was on the Google not paying tax thread.