Any handy grandads able to help?

(16 Posts)
shandi6570 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:18:31

Yes, great to see you back wobblybits

Cherrytree59 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:13:38

Sorry to see that you didn't get your ramp sorted Hootysad

But hello Wobblybitssmile

Wobblybits Thu 15-Mar-18 18:03:31

As other have said rubber is very difficult to plane down or sand. If it is a ramp, could you not shorten it from the thickest end, it would then be thinner.

GrannySmith420 Thu 08-Mar-18 08:07:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

P0PS Fri 09-Feb-18 00:15:45

If you have a jigsaw take an old blade and sharpen the cutting side to "Stanley" knife blade sharpness and try that.

Rubber is normally cut using a sharp blade in a bandsaw (no Teeth).

watch your fingers !

HootyMcOwlface Mon 02-Oct-17 13:39:48

I have wrapped it back up and shoved it in a cobwebby corner of the garage. Ramp? What ramp!

Thanks for trying to help! Much appreciated. I like the idea of heating it up, I don't think it will be any good for this though it is too big - think big rubber doormat/scraper, but 1 metre wide and 4cm thick at thickest end)

silverlining48 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:59:58

A local handyman/woman (!) to take a look befire you get rid?

mcem Sun 01-Oct-17 22:28:38

Yes lucky and that's why I asked!
Hardly inundated with suggestions from the males of the species but as usual, a few practical grans have tried to help.

If you have an electric drill you could make a series of holes which might make cutting easier.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 21:17:49

Good advice, that. I've wasted many an hour, trying to modify things and failing!

midgey Sun 01-Oct-17 20:56:20

Put it on Gumtree or Shpok and start again!

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 20:02:27

Would it be malleable if you immersed it in boiling water?
More to the point, would being malleable be a help to you?

HootyMcOwlface Sun 01-Oct-17 19:49:32

Rubber is really tough, gillybob. Don't think I'd be able to do it with a knife, as there is too much to do and I will need it to be level. I had to use a jigsaw to cut the corner off, as it was much too hard going with a hacksaw. Thanks though!
That's what I was thinking re sander, but not sure what else to try. I wonder what an angle grinder does?!

Perhaps chalk it up to experience and hide it in a corner of the garage!

Luckygirl Sun 01-Oct-17 18:57:13

This is Grandads' shed!!

mcem Sun 01-Oct-17 18:11:33

Hope you find a solution but may I just ask why your post was addressed to grandads?

gillybob Sun 01-Oct-17 17:51:21

How about slicing the rubber with a very sharp knife or using a sharp planer? Being very careful with fingers of course !! I think it depends on how hard/soft the rubber is and how much needs taking off.

I think a sander will just clog up with the rubber.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 01-Oct-17 15:34:02

I've bought a rubber ramp for my backdoor to go inside. Unfortunately although I measured the threshold rise carefully(!) I didn't notice my upvc backdoor has a longer bit on the inside so it won't shut with the ramp in place. )Also discovered the floor is uneven, being slightly higher one side.)

The rubber ramp is 4cm thick (max end) x 1 metre wide.

My question is, I was wondering, if there was a way of shaving a bit off the depth of it using a sander or something else? Or am I just being daft and need to order a thinner one. (Can't send it back as I've cut a bit out of the corner to fit in the doorway). Thanks x