Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Shed

(22 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 18-Mar-19 20:53:43

I have a brand spanking new Granny’s Shed. It was hideously expensive and I paid for installation by a chunky man covered with tattoos.
It arrived during a fortnight of gales and downpours so my pot of equally expensive paint has not been opened.
Tomorrow is forecast to be dry all day so I shall do a Fairy Godmother act and transform my shed from bright preservative orange to tasteful Pebble Grey.
I am ridiculously excited!

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Mar-19 21:23:17

Watermeadow pebble grey sounds lovely.
Are you painting the door the same colour?

What will you be using your new shed for?

A hideously expensive shed can't possibly just be used for lawn mower and few garden tools.smile

Artist studio?
Peaceful refuge?
Craft room?

Whatever it is enjoysunshine

Charleygirl5 Mon 18-Mar-19 21:28:34

My shed is on its last legs- you have made me jealous!!! That is a lovely colour- mine is a tasteful green.

I no longer need a lawn mower because a fellow cuts my grass. My shed is used for old paint pots and the equipment I used when in hospital the last twice. I do not want to get rid of it because I will need it again and I doubt if it will be given away the next time around.

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 22:00:12

DH collects sheds. They are not allowed in the main garden but in the bottom part, fenced off he has two and a half wooden ones, two metal ones and a green house.

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Mar-19 22:06:43

Anja Half a shedgrin

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 22:14:50

Yes! He’s built a sort of lean to onto the side on one ?

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 22:15:58

He keeps the straw bales for the chickens in there and one of the local cats that gets chucked out at night kips down there.

mcem Mon 18-Mar-19 22:19:20

D'S and DiL are about to have a super new extension built.
Meantime, at the far end of the garden there's The Shed!
Half devoted to tools and work bench for indoors and garden.
The other half?
He has built a bar which will house a fridge and wine rack.
A dartboard is installed. There's a screen connected to 2 different games consoles.
A collection of memorabilia of his grandfather's service in WW2 and the Fire Service!
When the new furniture goes into the finished extension, the old leather sofa will be moved to the shed, along with the dogs' spare beds!
Now isn't that a shed?

BradfordLass72 Tue 19-Mar-19 03:43:47

I don't have room or the finance for a shed, I wish I had because it would be ideal for me to go back to bone carving.

However, this sounds interesting:
" I paid for installation by a chunky man covered with tattoos."

Perhaps I should start saving up for that bit? grin

Alima Tue 19-Mar-19 06:23:29

I am insanely jealous. Our shed lost its roofing felt on Saturday, courtesy of storm Hannah. It is currently sporting a bright blue tarp until the new stuff arrives.

NanKate Tue 19-Mar-19 06:55:50

I would love my own shed with lighting and heating and a comfy sofa where I could go to when I fancied some solitude. There would be a small kitchen in it just for making drinks and heating food in a microwave. A small fridge with chilled wine and Prosecco in it.

Nothing against DH but he never stops working and he makes me look idle.

It would be stocked with books, magazines and of course my IPad.

Finally there would be a little porch on the front with two rocking chairs where I would invite DH to join me on warm evenings.

ninathenana Tue 19-Mar-19 07:13:10

My neighbour has a large shed, well more like a summer house. It has a central door with a window either side and almost spans the width of their garden. She has a work bench for her crafting and it has heat and lighting. I think she's missing a trick though. No comfy chair, no kettle or fridge.
watermeadow I hope you will enjoy your tastefully painted shed for many years. smile

Jane10 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:16:11

Now lots of adverts for sheds has popped up. Wonder why?!

Auntieflo Tue 19-Mar-19 08:04:36

Watermeadow, your new 'garden room' (too nice to be a shed) sounds lovely. We have an old, but still good, shed, that like Alima's, has lost most of it's roofing felt.
It is patiently waiting for a chap to fix it.
Meanwhile, our DD has a summer house that I have earmarked for my retirement home. BUT, only when the CH is installed smile

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:56:51

BradfordLass72 — bone carving?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:04:46

Sheds are wonderful, aren't they? Mine is just big enough for a couple of chairs and a small table.
Years ago late husband and I visited a garden in Devon which was big enough for a Portakabin! Not a pretty building in itself but inside there was space for a kitchenette and a separate sitting room - fantastic. We can but dream.

Alima Tue 19-Mar-19 09:07:07

Hope you get to paint your new shed today watermeadow. Will you post a photo?

shysal Tue 19-Mar-19 09:28:01

I bought a hideously expensive shed several years ago when the Posh Shed Company featured on an Alan Titchmarsh TV programme, after which they offered a discount for viewers.
My shed has to be right outside my french windows due to the patio being the only level space in my steep garden, so I figured it was worth splashing out.
Due to my habit of never throwing anything away in case it comes in useful I now can't even find space on the floor to put a foot inside! I have adorned the shed with fairy lights, bug hotels and plants so it is not too much of an eyesore.
Enjoy yours watermeadow, I don't think your will regret the expense.

NanKate Tue 19-Mar-19 10:32:26

I think it is lovely Shysal.

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 11:41:22

Shysal ! Clear it all out, furnish it and use it ( that’s a command!) grin It’s so lovely, I want one now.

PageTurner Wed 20-Mar-19 04:07:11

I love your shed, Shysal. I hope you can do a declutter so you can enjoy it this summer.

GrandmainOz Wed 20-Mar-19 07:20:05

Out here in woop woop (rural Australia) it's compulsory to have a shed. In fact I think it may be enshrined in aussie lawsmile
It's not totally unusual for the shed to be bigger than the owner's house.
My OH has adopted this particular local custom with aplomb.
Ours has a dartboard, satellite tv, comfy chairs, and his all important beer fridge.
At our last property he had a full size pool table too.
We're downsizing in May.
I'm trying to get a new kitchen and bathroom installed. All my OH cares about is where on the block he can squeeze in a new shed.
Words have been exchanged!!