Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Loft hatch

(9 Posts)
Whiff Mon 01-Aug-22 11:10:51

Do any of you DIY experts know what I can put round the outside of my loft hatch to stop draft and dust . My loft hatch is in my bedroom it has a drop down ladder attached . It's not really drafty as it has thick insulation it's more the dust. I live in a bungalow . I wondered if there was anything I could do myself or do I need to contact who installed it.

Any advice would be helpful . Thank you.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Aug-22 11:12:40

It sounds like you might be better off contacting the installer - nothing comes through our loft hatch.

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 11:15:34

Hi Whiff, ours doesnt drop a lot of dust as there is a sort of recessed rim around the opening for the lid to sit in which I think must catch a lot of the dust. I never gave it any thought until now but there must also be dust lying on the loft side of the cover,which must then fall down when the cover comes off unless the cover folds up and back on to itself ie stays in the loft.

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 11:18:27

I'm going to check ours again but can't until next week as the ladder I need isn't available until then. If it is draughty it sounds like it isn't sealed and of course dust will be blown down.

M0nica Mon 01-Aug-22 11:19:02

I do not know what type of loft hatch you have. We have a ladder attached to a drop down hinged hatch. We have just put thick draft excluder foam around the edge of the hatch hole so that the hatch presses closely against it when it latches up.

You could put it on the edge of the hatch, it would have the same effect.

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 11:19:28

Sorry Whiff misread your post can see now you've already said it is not draughty.

Grantanow Mon 01-Aug-22 12:23:42

It's just a matter of improving the edge seal. Foam as suggested above would probably be a good solution.

geekesse Mon 01-Aug-22 12:34:22

The previous owner of our house attached a large square of stiff old carpet on the loft side of the hatch door. The carpet overhung by about 6 inches all the way around. When you lower the loft door to close it, the carpet forms a sort of seal which stops dust and draughts.

Whiff Mon 01-Aug-22 14:42:04

Thank you all . I will contact installer as I can't do it myself. Foam sounds a perfect solution. My loft is empty as I wouldn't have anything put up there . Made that mistake in my old house. And forgot so much stuff was up there until I moved. Took my son a whole day to empty it . And it all went to the charity shop. Though after being up there 20 years if I didn't need it in all that time it could just go. Didn't even look in the boxes.

Thank you again