Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do you love your grandchildren the same as your children?

(101 Posts)
musicposy Fri 06-May-11 13:56:53

Hi there, I'm not a gran yet so hope you grans don't mind me posting - I have two teenage girls.

I always wanted 4 children, but at 45 this year, I'm having to accept it's not going to happen. I had a miscarriage last year which was devastating and the only thing I can think is at least one day I may have grandchildren.

But, and it's hard to envisage how it feels to have grandchildren. Do you love your grandchildren the same as your children? And if so, isn't it hard only seeing them sometimes and not being the one to parent them? If you wanted a large family but instead get lots of grandchildren, does that feel the same? Do you feel as close to them as you do to your children?

Sorry if these questions are hopelessly naive! Just that I think people are likely to be honest on here. wink

Lindyloo Mon 09-May-11 23:33:47

Although I loved my children dearly, I did not really enjoy the practical side of being a mother. I missed my work dreadfully, disliked housework and being dependant on my husband. (It simply was not done to work after you had babies in those days). It is only with the perpective of age that you realise what a short period of your life that is. I wish I had enjoyed them instead of feeling trapped.

When my first grandchild was born I came to love him so fiercely it hurt. I truly would have died for him. Every minute with him was precious and now he is a grumpy teenager it still is. It seems like a second chance to help raise a child and do it better this time.

harrigran Mon 09-May-11 23:38:54

Grandchildren come without the pressures you have as a parent. I was smitten from the first second I saw them. They are so accepting of your faults, they really do not mind when you sing out of tune or tell silly jokes. Last week my two returned from holiday and the eldest ran up to me and said " oh grandma, I have missed you " and that was after spending a week with her other Granny. The youngest is just starting to talk and calls me Ga Ga, that just about sums me up.

gobsor Tue 10-May-11 00:41:52

Hi everyone here goes with my first post on this site. I think if anything being a Grandma is more intense than being a Mum. Rea son being I think you have more of an overview, and being a step away are able to see things or understand things that when you are a Mother maybe you are a bit too close to, or too involved if that makes sense.I think you also see Grandchildren changing and growing more, as when you are a Mum you have so many other things day to day to think about. I adore my five Grandchildren, and they give such joy(mostly!) that I think being a Grandma is far better than I could ever have imagined. To see them growing and learning is such a joy! Ah well I'll have to go now, as three of the younger ones, nearly six, five and four stayed over last weekend,and I haven't got round to tidying up yet !!!

Phil Tue 10-May-11 08:53:58

Its not the same as your own kids. You are not with them 24 hours a day, the bonding is not so strong.
Dont know if I should post a comment as I am a Grandad. Think the world of the grand kids though...................................Phil

Carrotcruncher Tue 10-May-11 11:56:05

I have been a grandma now for just over 2 years and I have another one on the way. When I held my Grandson for the first time I experienced something so brillant. It was like a part of me will continue long after I have gone, pride with my son. It was tinged with such great saddness as my Ex had died a year before and he was not there to experience the joy of his Son getting married and then to hold his Grandson in his arms, ( I still feel guilty that I am the one who can do this). But I never thought I could experience such happiness and it is very difficult to express the emotion I feel when I see him. Which is only two or three times a year in person, luckily I see him on Skype and thank heaven for that. He is now jabbering away in his own talk and to see him and my son interact is so brillant, it just makes my life worth living. I am not in the best of health and at times feel like life is not worth the effert, then I look at the pics and then on Skype and all that changes. In effect he is saving me.

quidlibet Tue 10-May-11 12:00:15

Ihave 2 granddaughters, they are sisters, but although I love them both the relationship is so different. With the eldest its what I see as a normal granny/grandchild thing, with the younger its like batting my head against a wall, the child seems to irritate me.
Now tell me is it me thats got it wrong, or is this quite normal.

gma Tue 10-May-11 13:06:48

I have 4 grandchildren- 3 boys (14,9,8) and a little girl (3) and I love them so much!! We live fairly close to them, but not too close!!! We see them frequently. I look after our grand daughter one day a week, as Mummy teaches, and did the same with the others. Its a really special day for us, just playing, going to the park, cooking, reading stories and having fun. We are never taken advantage of. They are such a great part of our lives and count ourselves so lucky.

everso Tue 10-May-11 17:43:38

My first post too!

I'm a grandmother to 4 year old twins - a boy and girl - with another baby due in July. My daughter and s.i.l. married in October 2005 and they didn't intend having a family for ages. Nature had other ideas though, and by December 2006 the twins had arrived.

I was thrilled when my daughter told us she was pregnant, but I had no idea just how much I'd love them when they finally arrived. They are the dearest little things and I can't get enough of them.

I've said (sort of jokingly) that when you're a grandmother you have the best of all worlds, and, frankly, I'd have by-passed being a parent and gone straight to being a grandparent wink

anita Tue 10-May-11 19:05:38

I had two daughters and both of them had two sons. Instead of loving and coping with two girls through all the growing up, I had four grandsons to enjoy. I loved the time with my girls but I have watched my grandsons slightly from the side lines, baby sitting etc is a given. The little boys that I once could swing up into the air now look down on me from the great height of six foot plus. As for loving them, yes I do, absolutely. And their mothers are still my delight.

rosiesposies Tue 10-May-11 19:48:43

Hi my first post to ....
Looking back I think I was far too strict with my children now I have three grandchildren I admit to spoiling them rotten !!!
I absolutely adore them and whatever they ask for they get !!
on the other hand I sometimes wonder If I just give in for peace sake !!! Is it the age thing smile am I passed it !!!!

gma Tue 10-May-11 19:58:09

First post of many hopefully!!

emmasnan Tue 10-May-11 21:28:22

I have a granddaughter and I adore her.
I was totally unprepared for the love I would feel for her. I love my son's unconditionally and I see the love I feel for her as an extention of that.

Magmar Tue 10-May-11 21:44:14

I think some of the thrill of being a grandparent is the fact that your grandchildren are always so thrilled to see YOU! It's such a special relationship. I was in the doghouse recently for allowing my grandson (8) to stay up while I was babysitting to watch Million Pound Drop with me as we were both so enjoying it and he's such a delight. Grandparents are allowed to be naughty as their services are often required and therefore we can't be chastised too severely! I spoil them to bits and pander to their every whim and love it. So different to being the disciplinarian parent.

Nannyperdie Tue 10-May-11 23:09:59

Hello all, new member here, so a little bit shy!! blush

I have to say that I adored my children from the very first moment, but the love I feel for my beautiful grandchildren is even more intense. I think it's because you can love them without the huge responsiblity you have when you have your children. And of course, it's absolutely essential to spoil them rotten, which you're not supposed to do when you have your children!!

Like somebody once said, "if I'd known how great it was to have grandchildren, then I'd have had them first".

lionlilac Wed 11-May-11 08:56:27

I love my children very much 'but' at times they can be a wee bit overbearing, opinionated and somewhat patronizing. My grandchildren on the other hand are fun, grateful and make me feel years younger.

KittyVentura Wed 11-May-11 09:44:43

Just as a heads up - From a new mum.

Comments like this one "It seems like a second chance to help raise a child and do it better this time" make us new mums feel very un-nerved and threatened. It's all well and good on here (this is your forum and you should be able to speak your minds) but just make sure your daughters and daughters in law never get wind of any of you saying this.

A grandchild is not a chance for you to try and have a second go at being a mother and a comment that implies this will make every mum cringe and hold her child tighter, thus further away from you.

xx

lionlilac Wed 11-May-11 11:31:51

Doubt it. Just had another phone call in which they want to stay.

crimson Wed 11-May-11 11:45:56

I expected to fall in love with my first grandchild the moment he was born, but I was so concerned for my daughter when she was in labour that all I cared about was her wellbeing. I realised at the time that I would have felt differently had it been a daughter in law that was giving birth, and that the baby would have been the main focus of my concern. Of course, I now love him more than anyone in the world along with my children, but it was a love that grew, not the instant love that I felt when mine were born. I hope I don't sound callous, because I was surprised at how I felt at the time. I would rather have gone through another labour myself than see my daughter going through it!

lionlilac Wed 11-May-11 11:52:43

My daughter has just told me she is six weeks pregnant and instead of instant excitement, your very first thought is 'I hope you are going to be alright'

harrigran Wed 11-May-11 14:00:09

How sad crimson that you would think of DIL with less concern than a daughter. I would be devastated if anything happened to my DIL.

crimson Wed 11-May-11 16:10:10

Well, it hasn't happened so I'm only guessing how I'd feel. I suppose all circumstances are different, and the fact was that my daughter was in hospital for a few days prior to the birth with complcations, so all of my motherly instinct went into wanting her to be safe. Oh, lionlilac, when I was first told of my daughters pregnancy I just sat and shook for ages. All I know is that now, a few years down the line, all I can say is that I feel so blessed to have my two grandchildren [and living close by as well]. I kept a lot of my childrens toys and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see the boys playing with toys that were their mums!

SkyesGran Wed 11-May-11 17:15:13

Hello to all Grannies/Grandmas/Nannas and Nannies,

This is my first post.

I absolutely love being a Granny to my Granddaughter, Skye. She is simply adorable and I love her to bits.

Did not think I would love her as much as my Son and Daughter but I really do. You do fall in love with them, just as did with my 2 children, but it is easier being a Granny.

My Daughter and Son in Law lived with me until Skye was 2 months old so I was very hands-on and we bonded really quickly and easily.

Being disabled, I am not able to take her for walks in her pushchair, and I get very tired quickly but the joy that she brings is immeasurable.

I also love to see her parents dote on her. She is such a happy, smiley baby. She makes life worth living. (smile)

lionlilac Wed 11-May-11 17:17:51

Oh Crimson I have thirteen other grandchildren, but with each one I still panic if daughter/daughter-in-law will be alright. Cook most Sunday dinners for at least 14 (once 23). I'm blessed that they live close by, but my children and grandchildren seem to think they still live with us as well!
Moan but love it smile

SkyesGran Wed 11-May-11 18:35:39

Hello to all Grannies/Grandmas/Nannas and Nannies,

This is my first post.

I absolutely love being a Granny to my Granddaughter, Skye. She is simply adorable and I love her to bits.

Did not think I would love her as much as my Son and Daughter but I really do. You do fall in love with them, just as did with my 2 children, but it is easier being a Granny.

My Daughter and Son in Law lived with me until Skye was 2 months old so I was very hands-on and we bonded really quickly and easily.

Being disabled, I am not able to take her for walks in her pushchair, and I get very tired quickly but the joy that she brings is immeasurable.

I also love to see her parents dote on her. She is such a happy, smiley baby. She makes life worth living. (smile)

SkyesGran Wed 11-May-11 18:38:55

ooops, posted twice. That's the memory gone too!