Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Did you want to Know.

(10 Posts)
sj Sun 15-May-11 15:53:04

Hi Folks

Did you want to know when baby was on the way, or was it a case of let us know when the baby is born.

I know some grannys attend the birth, as yet Im unsure whether this will happen or not. Im basically on standby if needed.

I was wondering if you wanted to know or where told when labour started, or whether you got the call following the happy arrival.

sj

Mouse Sun 15-May-11 16:21:58

My grandchildren are only 11 weeks and 5 weeks old and I was there at both the births. Both were amazing, emotional, unforgettable experiences that I wouldn't have missed for the world. I feel honored that my girls asked me to be there along with their partners. Although the experience was also a little traumatic because neither birth was as straight forward as they could have been, I am so glad I was able to be there.

Swedenana Sun 15-May-11 17:28:10

With my first GC I was there when my daughter did the pregnancy test - couldn't really avoid it as she was only 17 at the time. With her second pregnancy (she's expecting now, 11 years later), she was so excited that she just couldn't keep the news to herself and she told me about a week after her positive test and I was sworn to secrecy. With my dear DIL, she miscarried her first child at 9 weeks so was much more wary of telling anyone before she reached 4 months. I have to say that I'm not a fan of having just about every family member present at the birth, as seems to be almost the norm in America. Just my opinion, but I think that it's a special and very private, personal moment for the parents. I don't think I could bear to be there if things weren't going according to plan either. Mouse, you're braver than me!

Nonna2 Sun 15-May-11 17:29:42

I was present at my Grandson's birth as well, and have already been informed that me presence will be required for this one too grin

It is an amazing experience and I feel really honoured to have been asked - not every woman wants their mother there, preferring to keep the magic between her and her partner to strengthen their bond.

If you are not going to be there then when to know is a difficult one ... I think personally I'd prefer to wait until the baby has arrived - mainly because I'm a real worrier and I'd be itching to keep ringing for regular updates and fretting about possible complications, which wouldn't be either good for me or anyone else LOL.

mollie Sun 15-May-11 20:44:13

I got a text to say labour had began and one or two throughout the day to keep me in the loop and then had a call when it was all over. I paced about all day wondering what was happening and hoping all was OK but that call with the news was so exciting...

maxgran Fri 20-May-11 14:43:13

I would hope I would always be told when the birth was imminent !
I was with my daughter when she had my first grandchild. It was the most emotional and wonderful experience of my life and I am forever grateful she let me share it, especially as prior to her being pregnant we were always at loggerheads.
I never thought she would want me there but apart from giving birth to her son - she also gave birth to a whole new relationship between her and myself.

harrigran Fri 20-May-11 17:51:14

I was not present for my grandchild's birth but was rung at regular intervals, in the end it was an emergency C section. When my DIL was pregnant the second time they told me early in the pregnancy but she lost the baby. I was with her afterwards, she was traumatised. The third pregnancy she did not tell us and I understand why, but lovely granddaughter informed a family gathering that Mummy had a baby in her tummy so we all got to see the scan picture. As chief babysitter I could not be at the birth but stayed a week to help as it was another C section. You can bond with the baby without being present at the birth, as the saying goes "a baby brings it's own love"

em Fri 20-May-11 18:04:25

Although I didn't attend the births of my grandchildren I knew as soon as things started as my daughter was living with me first time. Second time I had regular bulletins from dad and visited asap.With the next 2 I looked after the 2 older ones while mum and dad were in hospital and we had regular updates. The big girls and I were so excited to visit as soon as their baby brother arrived but I made a point of waiting in the corridor while the girls saw mum and were introduced to the baby. Two minutes later, I joined them and they were thrilled to show me the new arrival. Next time, we had to visit the special care unit, but once again, the girls were first to meet their new sister.I do think it's important for Gran to know her place in the pecking order!

Heather Fri 20-May-11 22:12:47

I have one grand-daughter, the baby (3 1/2 years old!!) of my eldest daughter. Right at the VERY beginning I told my daughter that she was pregnant and to take a test. Which she refused to do for a couple of days having just given the boyfriend the elbow. But, guess what, Mum was correct! (Despite us living about 100 miles apart and I 'picked up' on it during telephone calls!)
Therefore, as my girl was alone I was, of course, her birth partner. It was the best - and worst, experience EVER. Of course to meet the baby so soon was wonderful BUT to see MY baby going through it was so difficult. Over all, though, it was a privilege.

pinkprincess Sat 21-May-11 00:53:27

I have no daughters but DS2 has given me five grandchildren from his two marriages.I did not see any of them born-I did not expect to.For all the ones after the first I have looked after the older ones while DS and his wife were at the hospital.
The one that stands out the most is the third one, she was ten weeks premature and when her mother went into labour I had a plaster on my lower leg as I had broken my foot.I spent the night at their house with the two other children having arrived in a taxi with my plaster cast on and sitting up all night praying that everything would be alright.Baby was born by EMCS and was in SCBU for six weeks but is now a very healthy teenager.
I was first told I was going to be a grandmother for the first time on my front doorstep.DS did not know how I would re act as they were not married and were aged 18 and 17.I was over the moon.When the baby -now 19-was born I had just finished a night shift and DS phoned to say all was OK and the baby was a girl.I had always wanted a daughter so I was in heaven.There were three more girls born and one boy.Lovely.