Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Sleepovers.......... ......

(3 Posts)
jogginggirl Fri 20-May-11 22:31:47

Oh thank you nanapippa......your comments have helped so much. Bless the little button, she is now asleep, I have been twice to check (I really just wanted to cuddle her). I agree that perhaps pre-school has unsettled her and she is a very intelligent and sensitive little girl. I think your advice for tomorrow is sound. Hopefully, we will have a reasonable night and then see how she is, I would hate to force her to stay for a second night if she is unhappy and I know her parents wouldn't want it either. But, thank you for responding- it really helped

nanapippa Fri 20-May-11 21:36:03

How upsetting for you jogginggirl, and NO you are not odd. It breaks my heart too when the grand kids are upset. I think maybe it is that she is a little disturbed by starting pre-school (understandibly) but how you handled it was so right, and I expect she will be fine in the morning. If it were me I would probably chat about it with her in the morning if she wants to, and tell her how brave she was and that you understand why she was upset but that you love her. I am sure this is what you would do anyway so I hope you don't mind me saying these things. I feel it was the right thing to do to stick it out rather than letting her go home, as I feel they have to learn and feel a sense of achievement doing things that are hard for them at times. As long as they get lots of love smile Hope she sleeps through for you tonight.

jogginggirl Fri 20-May-11 21:21:54

Hi, I am new here. I have my 3-year old grand-daughter staying over for the weekend. Something she has done many times before. Tonight though she was really upset at bedtime, she cried for mummy but especially Daddy. She's asleep now after I sat with her for ages and tried to re-assure her. Has anyone else had this experience? A grand-child who has always been happy to stay and then seems unhappy.......... She has just started a pre-school class - her first experience away from mummy and daddy or grandma/nana. I feel so silly as I got really upset at seeing her so upset.............am I odd?