Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Dr Alice Roberts

(11 Posts)
gracesmum Mon 31-Oct-11 22:41:28

Yes!
At last we have got the recognition we deserve. Instead of helping our DD/DILs being a modern phenomenon, according to Alice Roberts in tonight's "Origins of Us" (Beeb 2) - it seems we (Grans) having been bringing up our children's children since time immemorial and in fact - seem to have been responsible for the survival of the human species !
It is a fascinating explanation of why we survive long past our child-bearing years.
Way to go Grans! Yay!smile

nanny1 Tue 01-Nov-11 07:47:49

gracesmum I was with a few grans flying about on broomsticks last night so missed it but will catch up on iPlayer.

absentgrana Tue 01-Nov-11 08:59:40

I would also reckon that grannies and women in general were probably also responsible for the development of language. There are lots of claims that it developed when the men went out hunting, but in modern hunter gatherer societies the whole community, including women and mobile children, go out hunting and prefer to work on the principle of making loads of noise until the prey, unless it's small, is driven into a pit or over a cliff. Whereas you need language to say "The berries on the bush over by the big tree aren't ripe yet, but there are some terrific mushrooms just down the path." You also need language to bring up children – grunting doesn't work. grin

nanny1 Tue 01-Nov-11 09:10:50

Oh absent you did make me laugh smile Perhaps that's why some, most men have a problem with communication.

Charlotta Tue 01-Nov-11 09:37:43

I read in a book by Germaine Greer that naturalists had observed that it was the old chimps that stayed awake nights to watch over the safety of the sleeping group.
I often look back to post war times and think of the grandmothers who had to bring p their GCs even at my age. When mine have been for a few days I am so worn out, my heart goes out to the post war Grans who did so much after so many men had fallen as soldiers. On the other hand I think - If I had to bring them up they would behave better. I would see to that!

jingle Tue 01-Nov-11 10:02:28

Yes, that does explain why we are "allowed" to carry on once we are no longer useful for reproduction. I have wondered about that.

Right darling daughters, I need another grandchild NOW!!! Don't want anyone getting the idea I am no longer useful! shock

jingle Tue 01-Nov-11 10:06:16

I think, these days, when we look after grandchildren, we put a lot more effort in that, perhaps, our grannies would have done. It's just expected these days. And we see them, in some cases, less often so we feel the need to try harder.

I was looked after, of necessity, by my Granny, and I was content to play quietly while she got on with her everyday chores. I was very happy like that, but today my grandchildren say, "What are we doing today"?

grandmaagain Tue 01-Nov-11 10:09:27

I watched Dr Alice last night too it gave me a lovely feeling to think we really are a neccessary part of our GCs development and we are pre programmed to care as much about them as we do. So often I feel the strain of being what I call the "jam in the sandwich" (I have an elderly mother to care for too)as I juggle part time work, a husband, mother and granchildren but now I feel more comfortable with always putting the GCs first, I thought it was just me being soppy but it is'nt it's genetic.

Annobel Tue 01-Nov-11 10:18:41

Nuclear families are against the natural order as is the social mobility that causes young people to move away from parental homes to find work and start their own families miles from grandparental help. I was a young parent in that position as are my own DSs. When I was a child, I was round the corner from my maternal granny and my unmarried aunt and uncle. It was my second home. But my paternal granny lived on the other side of Scotland and was a very different proposition.

jingle Tue 01-Nov-11 10:23:54

I wish mine lived closer.

Well, I think I do. shock

Butternut Tue 01-Nov-11 10:48:09

So do I jingle, so do I sad