Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Compromises

(17 Posts)
bagitha Fri 13-Jan-12 17:46:17

Blank walls painted a pale colour are obviously for drawing on. You said that Italian man did it a lot.

Polished wood headboards are for scratching designs on with a hairgrip.

When your sister tears some wallpaper off, the kind sibling colours it in with the same design as the wallpaper so that no-one will notice.

kittylester Fri 13-Jan-12 17:23:40

Being sent out of the bathroom when my granddaughter is pooing but accepting that it is necessary to be watched while you do! confused

Carol Fri 13-Jan-12 17:16:42

Haha! nanapug grin My nephew was in his bedroom and needed the loo, being told by mummy 'won't be a minute.' Eventually he poo'd in the bottom drawer and ripped his noddy poster off the wall to wipe his backside. 'It's OK, mummy - don't need a poo any more' he shouted. Serve her right!

nanapug Fri 13-Jan-12 17:00:04

Not so sure about this one, what do you feel? Is it ok for all three DGCs (5,6 and seven) to make a pooh mountain in the loo by all taking it turns to go?!!! Must admit to having a job not to laugh wink

JessM Fri 13-Jan-12 16:51:38

Any roadside vegetation or wall is a good place to pee if you're potty training
You can throw a smelly pair of underpants away if they are too yucky
it is really fine to eat popcorn from under Nana's seat in the cinema if you are bored with the film (but your sister is not)

gracesmum Fri 13-Jan-12 16:17:02

There is always a space for pudding no matter how much you are too full to finish your sausages/fish fingers
"one more" book can be an infinite number
"Colouring" is much more useful than breakfast
wellies are fine for the house
Granny cannot see you when you are hiding especially not when you peek out from behind the sofa (but she will find you when you want her to)

Ariadne Fri 13-Jan-12 15:58:39

Love it!

If you happen to scratch Grandpa's car he won't be cross, even though your Daddy can remember what happened when he did that.

bigburd Fri 13-Jan-12 15:53:40

loved reading these lol recognised a few activities that we regularly take part in here at grannys house.i have 2 granddaughters aged 5 and 18mths and one more on the way.
Im so glad that other grans experience the going to the toilet as a group ,was thinking i might be the only one!
Theres also sitting watching grandpa in my pocket , humf or Peppa even after the cherubs have gone home!!!
Cheddars dipped in custard are yummy when one for you and one for me is on at mealtimes.Also cat treats are good granny here try one (Yuuuk) cant convince her otherwise!!!
Mr Tumble and Granddad Tumble and Aunt Polly are Not the same person !!
Yes there are small people living inside the television !!!
And yes my little cherub i agree totally that im too fat and my dress is hideous (note to self never wear the dress again/get the diet started as soon as ive finished my custard and cheddars)
Yes you can wear your lovely new boots to bed tonight (just don't tell mummy)
PS isn't Justin Fletcher a saint x

Butternut Fri 13-Jan-12 11:54:47

grin

Carol Fri 13-Jan-12 10:11:51

Got your word, too, Butter

Gally Fri 13-Jan-12 10:01:09

Yep butter got it too I think. I'm watching annobel.......

Carol Fri 13-Jan-12 09:49:02

Fabulous - here's some more:

*The dog also needs to look at whatever has landed in the toilet.
*Spots and scratches will be inspected and the cause of them must be disclosed - 'did the cat do it? did you fall over? Have you got the measlies?'
*Cheddars, jam and Dairylea cheese make a nutritious meal.
*It is fine to have a temper tantrum if grandma switches off the TV, but not if 3 year old does it.
*All 15 cushions on the sofa are for the den, and adults must sit with none.
*It is perfectly acceptable to hide your dummy in the potty till you need it.
*If grandma tells you to wash your hands, the dog's water bowl will do!
*Grandma's sense of humour is a bit random, so she might not laugh as much as you when you swing the fire poker round and miss the dog by an inch
*No matter how tired and emotional the 3 year old is, grandma will still be waiting for a cuddle

Annobel Fri 13-Jan-12 09:48:12

Got your word, Butter. I must start one of my own. Watch this space...

Butternut Fri 13-Jan-12 09:26:50

You sound like a very cool, chilled-out grandma.

Butternut Fri 13-Jan-12 09:25:43

That gave me the first belly-laugh of the day - especially the last one! Thanks grandmaAnge
grin.

bagitha Fri 13-Jan-12 09:10:41

You sound like the ideal grandma, ange! smile

GrandmaAnge Fri 13-Jan-12 09:08:07

It struck me forcibly while helping look after our four grandchildren aged from two to eight that we, as grandparents, make some remarkable compromises in this enjoyable role. So I made a list and would love other grandparents to add to Things That Grandparents Have To Accept:

* Table manners are very subjective and, yes, fingers can do the job of forks
* Food as a hat is a clever fashion statement
* Swear words may not be generally acceptable but playing down their importance in ordinary conversation is
* Going to the toilet can be a group activity (this is a tough one)
* Searing assessment of (a) your clothes and (b) your weight are perfectly OK, however cruelly accurate
* Thomas the Tank Engine and Hannah Montana are rivetingly exciting TV and should be compulsory in everyl home
* You need to offer the same kind of enthusiastic enjoyment of your grandchildren going on the slide and then the swings at the park for the 100th time on the trot as if it were the first time
* Knock-knock jokes of dubious punchline are as hysterically funny to you as they are to your grandchildren, at every telling
* Just like a complicated, genuinely interesting tale, it takes time for a three year-old to relate absolutely nothing
* There is no point in reasoning why an eight year-old wants to wear striped leggings with a yellow floral top. If it's his choice, go with it