Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Tying shoe laces

(52 Posts)
Maniac Thu 15-Nov-12 13:16:42

A recent survey found 45% of children aged 5 to 13 couldn't tie laces. When my children started school parents were asked to ensure children could tie their own shoe-laces.Due to the wonder of Velcro this is no longer a necessary skill - Can your GCs tie shoelaces -or tie a tie?

Jendurham Fri 16-Nov-12 22:44:30

Thanks Trendygran, someone understands.
He was wearing nappies, or rather pullups, when he started school because he had problems going to the toilet. He had to have medication every day, because his diet was so limited, with not liking foods mixed, and foods not having to touch each other on the plate. When I am in the kitchen, he will come and help me get the vegetables ready now and eat half a dozen cherry tomatoes before they get to the table. And if he has not been to the toilet for a couple of days, he will raid the fridge for tomatoes, because he now knows that vegetables are better than medication.

At school they have been studying the Victorians, poor, middle and wealthy. Someone cooked gruel for them, and he liked it! It was salty, he said.

Maniac Fri 16-Nov-12 23:04:31

One of my pairs of trainers (from 'Lands End' )has elastic laces.Putting on and off is so much quicker and easier.

absentgrana Sat 17-Nov-12 08:29:29

Joan A friend's child was told off for writing his name on his drawing at pre-school because "he's not supposed to learn that for another year". confused

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 08:53:23

I would have blown my top and complained to the "management" if any nursery/pre-school 'teacher' had said anything so stupid to me. DD3 was able to write her name at nursery school without being 'taught' – she just copied and repeated. As children do when they're interested in something.

Nanadog Sat 17-Nov-12 08:53:44

Rubbish.

Nanadog Sat 17-Nov-12 08:54:57

Oops. That was a reply to ansinthe not you bags

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 09:04:01

Love the way you nearly called her absinthe wink

absentgrana Sat 17-Nov-12 09:19:53

Nanadog What are you doing to my screen identity today? That's the second time. hmm

Bags Isn't absinthe illegal?

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 09:23:41

I've no idea, absinthe!

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 09:24:28

Seems you can buy it online, so apparently not.

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 09:25:03

You could clean your chopping boards with it quite successfully, I imagine.

absentgrana Sat 17-Nov-12 09:28:15

I wonder if it's real absinthe. I thought wormwood and alcohol was a brain-damaging combination and so banned. Perhaps that was bad science and it's allowed again now. I prefer hot soapy water – for chopping boards, not to drink.

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 09:40:43

Same here, re cleaning chopping boards. Have you seen today's Beeb article about germs on chopping boards?

Hunt Sat 17-Nov-12 10:07:10

To return to shoe laces. The reason they come undone is because people are tying granny bows and not reef bows. My husband was 40 before I discovered he was tying granny bows-no wonder his laces were always coming undone. Another skill that has vanished because no one seems to need it anymore ,is tying a bow behind your back-for an apron or a sash.

Greatnan Sat 17-Nov-12 10:15:52

The poisonous ingredient has been removed from absinthe - Juragran lives in the centre of production and is full of knowledge of the history of the drink.

I think I have posted before about a TV programme I saw about nomadic people in Mongolia. They follow the reindeer herds and these supply almost all they need. A boy of four was using a very sharp knife to clean skins and his father was surprised when the reporter commented on this - it is just accepted that everybody will learn the skills needed to survive from a very early age. I think we infantilize our children in the West. They could probably do much more for themselves if we gave them the chance.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Nov-12 10:21:25

Isn't Absinthe what all the parisienne artists used to rot there brains with? I think it could be be hallucinogenic. Didn't Van Gogh do a painting of Absinth drinkers.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Nov-12 10:28:47

Oh has the BEEB nothing better to do than repeat the studies about the germs on chopping boards. I think that when there is nothing else to write about they dig out the bit about how many germs are on x y z surface and keep changing the type of surface so we will think its new news. wink

Oh NellieM stop being such a cynic and go and do some work!

Elegran Sat 17-Nov-12 10:29:47

There are (or used to be fifty years ago when I studied a very modest bit of anthropology) so-called "primitive" tribes where no-one could read or write, but tiny children used sharp knives and knew exactly what term of respect to use toward their many and complicated relatives and the elders of their society. Children learn what it is important to know in their lives (and what interests them) If Velcro and elastic laces had never been invented, then tieing laces would be an essential skill.

kittylester Sat 17-Nov-12 11:22:05

Because my son can only use one hand with any dexterity, he uses shoe laces that look like corkscrews. I must check out exactly how they work (I imagine they twist together) but it was a big thing for him to be able to have shoes with laces rather than velcro. smile

absentgrana Sat 17-Nov-12 13:05:11

Nelliemoser I think that was Toulouse Lautrec.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Nov-12 13:59:58

absent Thanks I thought it was one of those debauched artists from that group."

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Nov-12 14:02:01

Thinks! If you can have the word "debauched" is there such a word as "bauched". hmm

Greatnan Sat 17-Nov-12 18:28:34

I repeat - absinthe is now perfectly safe! Horrible, though!

Maniac Sat 17-Nov-12 20:37:25

amazing how shoe laces turned into absinthe !!
confused

Bags Sat 17-Nov-12 21:56:18

Gransnet's good at morphs like that wink