Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Birthday present for 10 year old boy

(23 Posts)
Mishap Fri 18-Jan-13 22:00:26

Help! - having produced 3 girls I am at a total loss what to get my GS for his 10th birthday. They live in a flat so outdoor toys are only useful on outings to the park.

All ideas gratefully received!

Anne58 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:03:08

Lego, game for x box or similar? (I mean he might have playstation or Nintendo doo dah) books?

Anne58 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:03:44

Or try firefox, they have loads of sort of silly boys toys on there!

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 22:04:38

A knots kit! He tie granny up then!

Granny23 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:11:42

My fallback present when I am stuck is a camera. For the young and a bit careless perhaps just a disposable one (with printing included) and an album. For, say, a young teen a digital one + the means to connect it to the computer for download. Can be just a fun toy or could lead on to a lifelong interest.

whenim64 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:13:11

Mishap there are some fun books that my grandson loved as a 10-year old. Andy Stanton's 'Mr Gum' series were very popular with him. The Lego 'City' series went down well, and he was an American WWF/WWE Wrestling fan, so had a large wrestling ring and different figures. He had an indoor table tennis table that he would have matches on with all the family. The Wii is good, and there were lots of games that were suitable for his age. How about board games, a decent chess set, cinema tickets for him and some pals, archery lessons, does he like horse-riding? Maybe some lessons. Football kit if he has a favourite team......

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 22:29:04

My 8-year-old GS got a digital camera for Christmas and has already uploaded pictures to his web site. I think it would be a fine present for a 10-year-old unless he already has one. Is he a Minecraft fan? Most of them are. If you ask his parents they will know what he has and hasn't already got.

Gally Fri 18-Jan-13 22:44:18

My GS in Oz was 9 yesterday. He loves reading so he got books and I sent a box of tricks to make a lamp out of a plastic water bottle - hopefully encouraging him towards science! He loves Lego but he got lots for Christmas and he got the inevitable game for his play station too - he was so intent on playing it that he could hardly tear himself away to talk to me on Skype! Boys will be boys smile

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 23:01:36

I've given pocket microscopes to GSs. If he likes to investigate things, he might like one. Today I heard that my GS and his mum were investigating ice crystals under the microscope.

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 23:07:46

That's a brill idea! Gets them interested in science. I was using my fathers microscope at infant school, and I did the same with my dc.
DS was explaining genetics to his teacher in 2nd year junior!

Hunt Fri 18-Jan-13 23:13:05

I once gave my great nephew a fossil for his birthday( iI think it was an ammonite) The look on his face when he opened it ..... .His jaw dropped and he looked me straight in the eye with wonderment.

Fondasharing Fri 18-Jan-13 23:17:06

Bought my 11 year old grandson a kit from Amazon - Build an internal combustion engine. He was thrilled......and it runs on vegetable oil....so very eco friendly!

Also a subscription to National Geographic magazine for juniors......a present for him every month of the year.

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 23:35:30

When I gave my 7-year-old GS a microscope and a book about them - excellent Book of the Microscope from you-know-who - he said he knew all about them because they had them in the classroom at school. Fonda - I really like the idea of the NG subscription. If I gave that to GSs their fathers would end up reading it from cover to cover.

Mishap Sat 19-Jan-13 14:51:43

Thanks so much for all these great ideas!!!

megmega Wed 10-Jul-19 03:11:51

大声阿斯顿撒大所多

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jul-19 07:15:41

I would never buy a grandchild anything without consulting the parents because you don’t know what they re into/got/want Lego is usually brilliant but there are some kids not into Lego so you do have to ask
One granddaughter when she was about 11 begged me for a camera and even the particular one she wanted, but it was a 7 day wonder and really was a waste of money she used it for a week or two never been seen since
I d be guided by his mum unless you see him regularly and know what he’s into

M0nica Wed 10-Jul-19 13:43:25

Like Bluebelle I would not dream of buying a present for a grandchild without first consulting parents and probably the child himself.

DGS has just had his 9th birthday. He got a plastic tool box and a set of tiny paint brushes and selection of Humbrol plants for some war gaming figures he has taken over from his father, putting them in their new home and painting them. He also got a sheet of taxidermy British butterflies because he is becoming a very knowledgable naturlist.

All what he wanted, but not necessarily what every 9 year old wants.

fizzers Wed 10-Jul-19 14:19:45

just ask his parents what he is into

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Jul-19 14:56:44

Take him shopping and tell him his budget.

It's a nice day / afternoon for you both, you could include stopping for something to eat.

Peonyrose Sat 20-Jul-19 07:28:12

I always consulted the parent first, even if gc hád suggested something. What I liked doing was taking them out to choose their own, but only if agreed with the parents. I am always conscious I must fit in with the parents.

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Jul-19 06:16:22

'The Diary of a Wimpy Kid' - Book Depository sends them out post free and has the whole series. My 10 year old sits on the couch reading and shaking with laughter.

megmega Thu 08-Aug-19 03:12:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

fsweetpea123 Thu 22-Aug-19 12:22:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.