Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

They've just gone!

(23 Posts)
wisewoman Mon 03-Jun-13 18:22:30

I am sitting down in the middle of chaos - toys everywhere in lounge, drawing materials, glitter, stickers etc in living room and remnants of a a very complex imaginative game in the office and as for the kitchen! It will take a while to clear up but I am sitting here thinking how very lucky I am to see so much of my five wonderful grandchildren and to listen to their chat and their games. They are still little but so interesting. I just wish I could twitch my nose and everything would jump back into place. Does anyone else know the feeling??

janeainsworth Mon 03-Jun-13 18:25:08

Yes wisewoman
The mother of one of my friends was fond of saying 'It's nice to see the family, and it's nice to see them go grin

j08 Mon 03-Jun-13 18:42:03

Oh yes! Indeed I know just what you mean. Leave the clearing up till tomorrow. Have a restful evening. smile

They do grow up so quickly, and then they, quite rightly, have so many interests these days. sad

wisewoman Mon 03-Jun-13 19:15:53

You are right JO8 the eldest is nine now and would rather be on a computer or spend time with his friends rather than grandparents so I am enjoying the tinies while they still think I am wonderful!!

shysal Mon 03-Jun-13 19:27:27

I can't relax until the mess is cleared away, and then I flop with exhaustion. The same applies when the family all come for a meal. It is a family tradition that visitors or I do not wash up, so that nobody is stuck in the tiny kitchen instead of enjoying the company. As my house is small, I keep 8 folding chairs and 2 extra (heavy) table leaves in the loft. Hauling them back up the stepladder wears me out!

Aka Mon 03-Jun-13 19:33:08

Wisewoman how lovely smile The mess is to be treasured. I tend to have a couple of big toy boxes and everything gets shovelled back into these temporarily until I have the energy to to return everything to its rightful place.

absent Mon 03-Jun-13 20:10:49

I'm happy to say I do share the feeling. Four of my five grandchildren came over on Saturday morning and stayed until Monday afternoon (the Queen's birthday is a national holiday in New Zealand). It's the first time that the one-year-old has stayed overnight and I was a little concerned that he might not settle. I needn't have worried - he slept like a baby (?????) and cheerily shovelled in Vegemite soldiers for breakfast both mornings. The fruit basket is empty, the laundry basket is full and Mr absent and I were both worn out - but it was worth every moment.

Ella46 Mon 03-Jun-13 20:29:03

How lovely for you absent. Half way round the world was definitely worth it then grin

grannyactivist Mon 03-Jun-13 21:14:00

Oh I would have been green with envy to be reading this last week, but I'm now well enough to have my grandson (he's 3) coming to stay with me for the weekend on Friday. grin It seems like such a long time since he last stayed over and I've really missed him. We're going out for a meal with him on Friday and then grandad is taking him for a bike ride on Saturday morning whilst I rest. Saturday afternoon is for having fun indoors and on Sunday we're going out, hopefully to the beach if the weather holds. I'm so looking forward to spending a great chunk of time with him.

Grannylin Mon 03-Jun-13 21:29:23

That's good!Have you fully recovered yet ga?

grannyactivist Mon 03-Jun-13 21:44:01

I'm getting there at last thanks grannylin. I'm getting out a bit and although I get tired really easily I'm able to do more every day. My husband (and the rest of the family) are watching me like hawks so that I don't do my usual trick of doing too much too soon and then 'crash and burn'. grin My GP has been brilliant as usual and has kept a close eye on me. I do still need a sleep during the day which is a bit disconcerting because if I don't 'plan' it I find myself falling asleep anyway and waking up in all sorts of uncomfortable positions, usually dribbling. NOT a pretty sight for my husband to come home to!! grin

wisewoman Mon 03-Jun-13 22:15:54

grannyactivist glad you are feeling better. You do need energy to keep up with little ones and it is only when you are under the weather that you realise just how much energy you need!! It's great that your family are looking after you. flowers

Mishap Mon 03-Jun-13 22:26:26

Mess is good; mess=fun! It will still be there tomorrow and you can tidy it then.

wisewoman Mon 03-Jun-13 22:42:13

Like shysal I have to clear it up so before I can sit and relax with a G and T. Couldn't leave the chaos. I say clear up and I mean clear up - I don't mean cleaning or anything just making some order out of the chaos. There is still glitter and bits of stickers lying around waiting to attach to the unwary.

Mishap I do agree that making a mess is great and glad children feel relaxed and happy making things. I still wish I could twitch my nose though - like the lady in "Bewitched". Can't remember her name.

Sel Mon 03-Jun-13 22:51:02

Wisewoman my house is back to normal after a half term week. Great fun but exhausting - and expensive. I'm quite happy now to revert to order and peace smile

harrigran Tue 04-Jun-13 00:05:48

absent so nice that you could have DGC to stay, tiring but oh so nice smile

Hunt Tue 04-Jun-13 09:53:48

I think the lady in Bewitched was called Samantha.I agree DGC do slip away when they reach, say their teens but the nice thing is they come back when they reach the 20s. My DGS is a frequent visitor (he is the only one who lives near) and the others are very good with texts.

FlicketyB Tue 04-Jun-13 11:54:30

At the last minute an accident to my DiL meant we spent half term with them instead of them coming to us. Both children (6 & 3) are endlessly active.
Three days during which we spent first, four hours walking round a National Trust property and playing in the grounds, followed the next day by three hours walking (climbing) around a castle followed by fully 6 hours walking around a Country park, which as well as the stately home, also had a bird 'zoo' and a fun fair. Followed by a 200 mile journey home in sluicing rain and taking an alternative (unknown) route part of the way home because of an accident on the motorway meant that on the fourth day, after I got home I was exhausted. Fortunately of the fifth day we had booked a spa day with out daughter to celebrate her 40th birthday, boy, did I enjoy that.

Now I am ready for the next visit!!??

annodomini Tue 04-Jun-13 12:44:33

My solution is to go to them! My house is too small to contain two young tearaways. They went bounding up hill and down dale on Saturday. I took the easy route, but managed to fall and get the most enormous bruise on my leg - luckily nothing worse. On Sunday I survived swimming with 5-year-old while their dad got in some practice for a triathlon and big brother had his last lesson with a swimming teacher who is about to emigrate. The rule at the pool is that you are supposed to keep under 8s at no more than arm's length. Fat chance with a 5-year-old who goes off like a torpedo and swims far faster than I can nowadays! The train journey home was quite restful... grin

ninathenana Tue 04-Jun-13 18:09:25

I used to think the guy I worked with was a miserable old git when he said he loved it after the grandchildren had gone home.

I didn't have any at the time. Now I know what he means. DH and I enjoying that time right now.

Movedalot Wed 05-Jun-13 12:41:25

Nothing we like more than having the whole family here. Don't clear up at all until they are gone and consider ourselves fortunate to have a loving family to clear up afterwards.

golfina Sun 09-Jun-13 22:14:37

Dear Absent

Are your grandchildren in New Zealand or are you? I have a grandson in New Zealand - we are go out there twice a year and I am so thrilled that we can manage to do this.

grannyactivist Sun 09-Jun-13 22:23:57

My grandson (3) has gone home today after spending the weekend with us. He's a lovely little chap and his manners are amazing for such a youngster - but he's not awfully keen on tidying up after himself. hmm Still, it's the first time in months that he's stayed, so I actually didn't mind the clearing up and I'm pleased that my daughter and son in law had a bit of a break.