Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Out of date

(9 Posts)
Lilygran Wed 05-Mar-14 12:52:44

Had my first DS at 29 and DDiL had hers at 30. You could get disposable nappies in the early 1970s but they were inadequate and inefficient. I was given several 'romper suits' for my DS -bare legs in November for a newborn! The convenient collapsible push chair took three hands to collapse and was too heavy to carry onto a bus. All buses had steps. Shops had signs on the door saying, 'No pushchairs' so you left your precious infant out in the street while you transacted your business. Buggies had arrived by the time DS2 was born and what a difference they made!

Elegran Wed 05-Mar-14 12:46:35

There were no disposable nappies in 1965. It was square terry ones. (and when I was born my grandmother cut up old sheets for nappies - which my mother was not exactly grateful for, as grandmother then said that she needed new ones - guess who bought them for her)

Ana Wed 05-Mar-14 12:41:25

Watch with Mother ended in 1974, so it's perfectly possible that a gran now in her 70s watched it with her children.

When I had DD in 1981 I didn't use disposable nappies - couldn't afford them!

Elegran Wed 05-Mar-14 12:30:19

I had my first in 1965 when I was 25 and am now 75. The oldest grandchild is now 19 and the youngest 10. I don't think I am out-of-date. None of my family has ever said so, anyway.

Not all grandparents are old and decrepit - but not all of them are in the prime of life either. We are all different.

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:22:44

On the other hand, I deliberately bought my 1985-born daughter a video copy of 'Watch with Mother' because I loved it! The disposables then were pretty dire - much better by 1995 when my son was born and I even had pullups! I know what you mean, people shouldn't pigeonhole grannies as I have a friend who had her first when she was 18 and her last at 46.

ninathenana Wed 05-Mar-14 12:14:30

I had my children in 1987 and 1991 respectively I was 33 when I had my first.
I agree 'Watch with Mother' is something I did not my children. I also used disposables and had a folding buggy. It does seem rather outdated.

Elegran Wed 05-Mar-14 12:02:30

The Good Granny guides have to cater for everyone, sarahlouise You had your children young, and they had your grandchildren young - but the average age of a mother giving birth in the UK for the first time is now almost 30. That is the average so there must be many who are a lot older Guardian

dollie Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57:52

I was a granny at 42 ...the ages on here vary a lot and we all have different experiences with our grandchildren and of course different views.... i disagree with you saying some of us are 'out of date' my youngest grandchild is now 20 and things have changed a great deal since she was a baby and no doubt things will be changing more in the future....if and when i have great grandchildren it will be a whole new experience for me...

sarahlouise Wed 05-Mar-14 09:46:51

I'm a proto-granny and so have been avidly reading the selection of advice available for new grans. Very surprised to be told that when my children were little they watched 'Watch with Mother' and to advised how to put on a disposable nappy! I had my children between 1986 and 1993 and we had a huge range of children's TV, disposables, car seats and folding buggies. Not only that, we were in the initial phase of the 'Back to Sleep' campaign. I am 54 - I'm sure this isn't young for a granny - much of this advice would be more suitable for my own mother's generation. Catch up Good Granny Guides!