Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Long distance fathers

(5 Posts)
suzy Wed 12-Mar-14 10:30:57

I have two sons who both have been fantastic dads to their children. sadly both of their marriages came to an end. They always paid maintenance, saw their children during the week and had them every other weekend. 2 years ago my eldest sons ex moved 250 miles away with his 2 children.a 10 and 14 year old. This was to go and live with her boyfriend. He sees them about every 5 weeks, but it costs so much in fuel and staying in a hotel. I will never forget the lost look in his face the day he said goodbye to them. Heartbreaking. Now my other sons ex is moving 350 miles away with his 11 yr old daughter. Another heartbreak. The cousins will be living opposite ends of the country so it will be difficult to get them all together. I do understand why people want to start a new life but its hard on my sons.

Greenfinch Wed 12-Mar-14 11:04:27

And it must be so hard for you suzy to have your grandchildren living so far away from you.sad

Mishap Wed 12-Mar-14 11:12:54

It is indeed hard on your sons and you must feel for their sadness. All you can do is to support them as best you can - and be a rock for your GC.

suzy Wed 12-Mar-14 11:50:25

Yes it has been hard and even more so now my other GD is moving. She has always stayed here the weekends my son has her. Sad also for my 5 year old GS who loves his cousin and often stays here when she does. It seems at this moment the whole family is splitting up.

Grannyknot Wed 12-Mar-14 14:44:57

sad