Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I am going to be a greatgrandmother!

(22 Posts)
pinkprincess Sun 16-Mar-14 19:10:04

Thankyou Deedaa

Deedaa Fri 14-Mar-14 21:16:20

Lovely news pinkprincess sadly my grandchildren are too young for me to be likely to be a greatgranny.

pinkprincess Fri 14-Mar-14 20:03:45

Thankyou all for your kind wishes.

Yes I am a knitter, and have started something already.My youngest grandaughter who is 11 is very excited and has promised to help with the baby-but does not want to change dirty nappies!.My only grandson is hoping it is a boy as he thinks there are too many girls in the family.

My son is coming to terms with the prospect of being a grandfather, he has five children so he had better be prepared for more grandchildren.
The mother-to-be is 20, in a stable (I hope it lasts) relationship and both have jobs.
Two of my sisters are greatgrandmothers and my mother had fourteen greatgrandchildren.
Another chapter is beginning.
I said to my grandaughter yesterday that it only seems like yesterday when she was born.She only weighed 5lbs and was so light you could hardly feel her in your arms, and now she is going to be a mother!.

soop Fri 14-Mar-14 15:59:11

Oh happy day! Lovely news, pinkprincess flowers

ffinnochio Fri 14-Mar-14 15:24:25

Great news, Pinkp. I don't knit, but a neighbour is a wonderful knitter and is always happy to take a commission from me. smile

daffodilgirl1 Fri 14-Mar-14 15:21:32

congratulations our great grandaughter was an unexpected blessing - just cutting out a summer dress for her with matching sun hat - we are so grateful to be able to enjoy the grandchildren - step granchildren and now great grandchild - all so different - we love them to bits

janerowena Fri 14-Mar-14 15:03:29

Don't knock not becoming a ggma - it's a very expensive hobby! My best friend is one and she's only 60! A very middle-class family too, so they have really bucked the trend. Her daughter's due date was on my friend's 40th, and all through the evening Do the night before she was muttering 'Don't you dare make me a grandmother before I am 40' to her poor daughter.

So that granddaughter made her a great-grandma at the ripe old age of 59. grin I can't wait for the day when she becomes a great-great-grandma...

Congratulations pinkyprincess! wine

Galen Fri 14-Mar-14 13:45:47

Don't think I'll ever be one. DGD is 2 1/2 and I'll be 70 this year..

rosesarered Fri 14-Mar-14 12:46:37

I'm only just coming to terms with being a Grandma, let alone a Great Grandma!

glammanana Fri 14-Mar-14 10:24:27

Pinkprincess Congratulations on your lovely news,you just wait until the baby arrives your son will be an expert believe me.flowers and a big glass of wine so envious.

Marelli Fri 14-Mar-14 10:17:07

That's lovely, Pinkprincess! flowers I was made a great-grandma to a wee boy nearly 4 years ago now - I still marvel at him! My DGD was 18 when she had him and I was 60! Bliss! smile

ninathenana Fri 14-Mar-14 10:04:44

Congratulations pink your family are blessed my children never knew any of their great grandparents and my mum was the only grandparent they knew. It's rewarding on both sides when there are several generations in the family.
I hope you are near enough to see plenty of the new baby flowers

Mishap Fri 14-Mar-14 10:04:34

That is very exciting!

Lona Fri 14-Mar-14 09:34:13

Congratulations pink that must be so exciting flowers

Grannyknot Fri 14-Mar-14 07:46:43

Hi princess congrats, and don't forget to share those knitting patterns wink (I'm knitting for my first grandchild).

Aka Fri 14-Mar-14 07:38:56

Wonderful news!

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Mar-14 06:59:55

Congratulations! wine (that's champagne)

tanith Fri 14-Mar-14 06:37:04

How exciting get those knitting needles out.

Humbertbear Fri 14-Mar-14 06:34:37

Congratulations Pinkprincess. my mother is a great grandmother and my grand children adore her. My children had a great relationship with their g-g-mother. Your family are fortunate indeed.

pinkprincess Thu 13-Mar-14 23:40:58

Thankyou Jane.

My son thinks that at 41 he is too young to be a grandfather.I reminded him that he was just 19 when he became a father for the first time so what does he expect!.

janeainsworth Thu 13-Mar-14 23:20:39

Congratulations, Pinkprincess flowers

pinkprincess Thu 13-Mar-14 23:15:29

I am going to be a greatgrandma in November, my DGD2 has just told me today.
I cant stop being excited about a new baby coming into the family, I can knit baby clothes as well.