Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Access Offered

(10 Posts)
Cley2013 Tue 20-May-14 18:00:15

Hi we feel a bit of a fraud coming on here looking at the depth and complexities of other peoples problems. We have a Granddaughter we haven't seen since much earlier in the year following our son not paying his way around CSA when he lost his job. Our son was not even allowed to see his daughter following an acrimonious split. we started legal proceedings on his behalf as a parent but these seemed to drag on and if we're honest didn't achieve anything.he has now landed a job and is due to start paying again so has been allowed access himself albeit for a couple of hours supervised a week. We have been offered a full day once a month unsupervised and would like other peoples opinion of whether this is an offer worth accepting bearing in mind Grandparents rights, or if we should as Grandparents fight for more.

Ana Tue 20-May-14 18:03:31

I'd say grab the opportunity with both hands!

Sorry, I have no first-hand experience of your kind of situation, but I do think you're very lucky to have any sort of access offered at all - as far as I know, grandparents have no 'rights' at all at present.

Cley2013 Tue 20-May-14 18:08:32

Thanks for your feedback Ana

Nelliemoser Tue 20-May-14 18:25:23

No question! Just go for that! If it can be seen as successful it might make a good start for something better.
That is better than many grand parents who live far away from GCs can get.

Do not feel a fraud, Gransnet has a lot of collected wisdom on all sorts of issues and dilemmas.

I hope it goes well.

Faye Tue 20-May-14 18:39:29

Cley it's your granddaughter who will miss out if you don't take the opportunity to see her.

I always feel annoyed when I hear of children suddenly denied seeing one of their parents or grandparent. It's their relative and they should have every right to be able to keep in contact.

tanith Tue 20-May-14 19:11:38

I agree with the others grab it with both hands and hope that tensions ease and you will be able to negotiate more time with your GD.

Agus Tue 20-May-14 19:13:52

I would say definitely take any opportunity to have any access to your granddaughter. It's a positive move which hopefully will lead to even more access in the future.

My best wishes to you and your family and I sincerely hope this first move is a sign of better things to come flowers

Minty Tue 20-May-14 19:19:23

If you have the opportunity of seeing your grandchild for how ever long is worth the world.

Cley2013 Tue 20-May-14 19:43:52

Hi, minty thanks for your kind words.

Cley2013 Tue 20-May-14 19:50:05

Hi, Agus Thankyou for your lovely kind words.