Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Car sickness

(11 Posts)
Crafting Wed 11-Jun-14 20:16:47

My grandson has dyslexia and suffers badly from car sickness (which I understand is a common problem) Does anyone have any good ideas what might help? Thanks from a new member

HildaW Wed 11-Jun-14 20:45:43

When daughter was young...from age about 3 onwards she was very poorly in the car. It helped if she was sat in the front to ensure she was always facing forward (its the glimpsing stuff flashing past that causes a lot of the problem). However, what helped the most and usually ensured that even a long journey stayed vomit free was, have her listen to a story tape on a personal stereo. Technology has moved on a pace but am sure the modern equivalent would have same effect. She would sit there chucking to anything really rude by Roald Dahl, or Dick King Smith's lovely animal stories. When she was old enough to 'believe' we also introduced her to the acupressure wrist bands. They seemed to calm her down , the whole process of getting them out of the little box, positioning them carefully seemed to take effect. I am still not sure how they work but she believed in them, so we carried on using them until she was in her teens..

Crafting Wed 11-Jun-14 21:17:54

Thanks for your reply. I will try the acupressure bands. I have heard of them but wasn't sure if they would help. Will try stereo too.

Eloethan Thu 12-Jun-14 01:04:33

We didn't have a car when I was young but travelled by rickety old coaches stinking of stale smoke and petrol. I used to find sucking Polo mints quite helpful in warding off sickness - though I suppose there are more sophisticated remedies these days.

lankygran Wed 29-Jul-15 15:31:18

It sounds odd but I have always found sugar to be helpful - sometimes it's a drop in blood sugar that can make things worse and a sugary drink or a sweet or some dried fruit can really make a difference. A lot of children are worse on an empty stomach so feed regular snacks (nothing too sticky or greasy) and this helps too. A friend swears by (regular) coke for a travel sick child - particualrly if they have vomited - she says it helps them reover very quickly

valeriecoughlin Wed 29-Jul-15 22:52:28

Once helping on a school coach trip on which 30 children vomited.
On the return journey I purchased two boxes of Ticktacs.
I gave them to the children who were sick and told them that they were Anti Car Sick pills. The placebo effect kicked in and we had no sickness on the return journey.
I have tried this with my Grandchildren and it works perfectly.
The wristband does sound good also.

Nelliemoser Wed 29-Jul-15 23:31:28

Oh yes! It's something to do with balance and eye movements, I had to do a balance test when the OU did my dyslexia assessment.
I get can get motion sickness from watching television and in particular views from Helicopters.

It's contrary motion that seems to do it to me.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:40:46

I get car sick even when I drive myself! Its such an irritation. I've been seasick horribly and even been sick on a train. I'm not dyslexic just must be somehow predisposed to motion sickness.

tigger Thu 30-Jul-15 12:35:02

I used to get travel sickness. However after suffering yet again on a long coach trip an elderly lady sitting behind us told my mother to sit me on a newspaper. It worked and has done since with children and grandchildren. So simple yet effective.

grandmac Thu 30-Jul-15 21:31:19

Both my sister and I suffer dreadful travel sickness. Quite by chance we discovered that sipping 7UP throughout a journey relieves it almost completely. It also helps with 'morning sickness', or any upset tummies. We used it all the time with our children and they now use it with theirs when necessary.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-15 21:46:47

One of our grandsons suffers from car sickness even though he's now well into his teens. Stugeron is the only thing that helps.