Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Car seats and pushchairs

(12 Posts)
Nelliemoser Wed 13-Aug-14 23:00:26

I would always suggest having a four door car if you have to get small children into the back. I had a mini and trying to get into the back to strap toddlers into car seats was dreadful.

As I think I have posted on here in the distant past, when no 2 was small I removed the front passenger seat put the carry cot wheels in collapsed down and the carrycot onto the wheel base.

Not legal now but you could not get a child seat and a carry cot onto a mini's back seat and the car seats were not suitable for very young babies. The thought terrifies me now.
I would glance down when driving and see my DD looking up at me with her lovely gummy grin.

susieb755 Wed 13-Aug-14 21:57:39

I shudder to remember how we sat with babies on our knees in the front, or in carry cots in the back..

susieb755 Wed 13-Aug-14 21:56:28

I struggle doing the clips on the maxi cosi as my disability means i have poor fine muscle control, Scarlett thinks its really funny though, especially when I say 'are you sat on the doodie scarlett, wriggle up'

guineapig Wed 13-Aug-14 20:23:52

Thanks everybody. I advertised at work and have picked up a second hand (but never used) Mamas and Papas first size car seat. My DD had to help me fit it in with the seat belt but as I have only a three door car I virtually had to deform myself to get in and out with it. How I will manage it with a baby in God knows! DD helpfully said things like "The baby's screaming by now" LOL! And it's so heavy...without a baby in it! Hopefully I won't need to do it very often.

MariClaire Sun 03-Aug-14 16:11:10

I received a 'Pac n'play', stroller and matching high chair from my staff who had a surprise 'Nana' shower for me. Relatively inexpensive items but worth their weight in gold. DGD has decided she prefers her Nana stroller, so off it went back home, 5 hours away!

I too would be cautious about the car seat. My DSIL sets his in the car for me, bought an adaptor too. Lovely man.

goldengirl Sun 03-Aug-14 15:59:39

I think there's a section on car seats in this months Which?

rosequartz Sun 03-Aug-14 13:37:14

I would advise you not to buy a second hand car seat unless you are absolutely sure where it came from and that it has not been in a car crash.

It's a good idea to have your own that stays in your car, as swapping car seats from car to car is a pain even with isofix. (we use the isofix AND the belt as well.)

Grannyknot Sun 03-Aug-14 11:18:03

Hi guineapig I became a gran for the first time on 19th July. My grandson's car seat is so complicated to put in the car or onto the chassis of the "pram" that I gave up. It's extremely comfortable to push though, and it doubles as a carrychair.

I've got quite a few good things on freecycle in my area for when they visit, including a bottle steriliser and a Moses basket, and a travel cot. Haven't got as far as thinking about taking him out on my own though smile

whenim64 Sun 03-Aug-14 11:12:53

Here's an Ebay example. Mothercare My4, which takes the Maxi Cosi car seat without need for adapters.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331268049887

Also, check out discussions on Mumsnet and Netmums. They have lots of good ideas.

Mishap Sun 03-Aug-14 10:48:05

Freecycle might be the way to go, especially as you do not know at this stage how often you will be in charge. Above all go for lightweight - the stuff we have has come from various DDs and we had no choice over it, but we struggle to lift some of it.

whenim64 Sun 03-Aug-14 10:44:35

A car seat that clicks on to a pushchair frame to start with. That'll see you through the first few months. Get a new car seat, but there are many pushchair frames like brand new that you can get second hand on Ebay, like the iCandy. Those frames will take the next stage seat, too.

guineapig Sun 03-Aug-14 10:28:42

I'd like to have a spare set for if/when I have to look after my grandson and mum's not around but the choice is driving me demented. In my day I had a carry cot and a McLaren buggy. Obviously nobody has carrycots any more but what do I need? The travel systems are ridiculously expensive and when I tried out a second hand bugaboo I couldn't take it apart after 5 attempts tbconfused! I'm thinking a basic car seat from Halfords and a basic pushchair but then I thought - what am I going to carry him in? It's frightening. He's not even born yet by the way! Any recommendations from all you old hands