Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Teeny baby

(62 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Wed 14-Jan-15 00:37:24

I am the proud but slightly worried grandmother of a teeny tiny baby who was born at 27 weeks gestation last week. She weighed just over 2lb and is now just 2lb. Her mum had to have steroid injections as she was in early onset labour so the baby's lungs are a little stronger that they would have been. She is adorable and seems to be a little fighter. Has anyone any stories regarding tiny preterm babies who are now fighting fit. I am caring for her 15 month old sister while mum and dad go to the unit. Luckily she is a good girl and very easy to look after.

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 22:46:24

Photo of boys on my profile! Long hair (now 23) born at 26 weeks, 1lb 12oz. younger lad (now 16) born at 28 weeks 2lbs.

rosequartz Fri 16-Jan-15 22:48:35

I remember reading somewhere that many years ago it was advised to wrap premature babies in cottonwool and put them near the fire to keep warm.

ayse Sat 17-Jan-15 11:19:43

Congratulations. My daughter had twins recently and also had a steroid injection - she had to have a planned C section as they were the wrong way round and I thought they were small. In comparison, they are huge. Good luck and I'm so glad to hear so many wonderful stories about tiny babies growing up. smile

hildajenniJ Sat 17-Jan-15 12:03:46

My Dad is 91 now. When he was born, the smaller if twins, the midwife swaddled him and put him in the warming oven, to keep warm!shock

loopylou Sat 17-Jan-15 12:16:21

My mother was born in 1924 weighing 2lb 6oz. The midwife wrapped her up and put her in a drawer, obviously on a blanket etc and told her parents to keep the drawer almost closed, to keep her out of draughts!

Mishap Sat 17-Jan-15 12:38:20

How is this babe doing flower?

harrigran Sun 18-Jan-15 12:01:58

Congratulations Flower flowers
I have no experience of tiny babies, my last one was so big he looked three months old when he was born.

Deedaa Sun 18-Jan-15 21:07:01

My godmother's father was a gamekeeper and used to use the warming oven to revive sickly pheasant and bantam chicks.

Flowerofthewest Tue 20-Jan-15 13:56:15

Latest (Friday) Daisy is doing well, holding her own.

Anya Tue 20-Jan-15 14:00:44

Yes, a friend's daughter gave birth at exactly that stage - 27 weeks. She is now a healthy, feisty, 3-year old. I believe prem baby girls generally do better than baby boys.

Good to hear she's holding her own Flower (((hugs)))

Flowerofthewest Tue 20-Jan-15 14:01:46

harrigan my third baby WAS 3 months old when born (well sort of) he stopped growing for 6 weeks in the womb at 5 months gestation. He started to grow 6 weeks later. In those days no scans available so on his due date (Jan 16th) they X-Rayed me and found that he wasn't ready to be born. I was X-Rayed over the next couple of months and he was induced on March 10th. They were looking at his toe bones, apparently they could tell by the way they were growing when he was ready - this is what they told me. When he was born, a good 1lb 8oz heavier than my previous two he was on his tummy and lifting his head to the surprise of the nurse. He is now a strapping 6ft1" man and the proud father of the tiny baby, a toddler and two gorgeous teenagers. I have the card to prove that he was due Jan 16. My father had suffered a bad stroke at the time the baby stopped growing and the consultant (who I was sent to as baby hadn't grown) said it could have been the shock.

rosequartz Tue 20-Jan-15 19:03:00

That is amazing, Flowerofthewest!

DGS looked and weighed like a 3 month old when he was born; all small size clothes had to be given away!

Glad to hear that Daisy (lovely name) is doing well.

Mishap Tue 20-Jan-15 19:25:01

Good news that Daisy is doing well Flower!

Flowerofthewest Wed 21-Jan-15 20:51:43

Amazing Deedaa Lots of successful early babies on here. So lovely. Thanks all. My DS is now and 'expert' on tiny babies hmm he tends to become an expert on everything he experiences. I have ordered some tiny vests etc for incubator babies. He has told me that the have to be naked. I have to believe him as I know nothing about this. I have said that they can be sent back but his lovely DW jumped in and said that the little one will still only be about 3.5lb when 36 weeks (when she may come home) so they will keep them. I am so proud of my Dil and love her to bits. Her mum was my best friend and died 18 years ago leaving my DiL at 17 to make her way through college and become a success in her chosen career. Never thought that we would share grandchildren. Makes them even more special.

glassortwo Thu 22-Jan-15 09:47:33

flower congratulations I have just seen this thread. Glad Daisy is doing well. flowers
wine sunshine

rubylady Fri 23-Jan-15 03:07:54

Flower Daisy is such a beautiful name, taking after her grandma with being called Flower.

It is so lovely that you get on with your DIL and such a shame about her own mother. My SIL to be lost his mum when he was 12 but I seem to have been pushed out of their lives, maybe because of this or not, don't know. But I thought that they would love to have some older adult to depend on fo both him and my DD but they seem to want to go it alone, after they have milked me for most of their nursery stuff though.

It sounds like they have to have no vests on to watch her breathing. She will be warm enough and I am sure they will fit her when she gets home and be thankful her grandma has such good ideas. Good luck to you all. Have they weighed her since? I will keep an eye on with interest. Lots of love. flowers

Iam64 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:32:45

It's good to hear that Daisy (lovely name) is doing well Flower smile

Faye Sat 24-Jan-15 11:00:32

I popped in to see how Daisy was. Congratulations Flowerofthewest, you must have been very worried at first. Keep us up to date on Daisy's progress. flowers

Penstemmon Mon 26-Jan-15 19:38:39

pleased to hear that Daisy is doing well. grin

Stansgran Mon 26-Jan-15 20:02:25

I've just seen this thread and will add one more success story. DD2's best friend was a "bag of sugar" baby and is now a film producer nearly 40 years later in NY. I think the early struggle gives them the grit. flowers

Flowerofthewest Fri 30-Jan-15 22:58:52

Teeny baby has moved on to HDU, penultimate step to coming home, this will probably take a few weeks but she is doing so well. Off of C-pap now and thriving.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 09:45:40

That is really good news, flower.
She is a fighter! All good wishes [teddybear icon]

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:27:43

Good news, Flower! Happy for you all x

Nelliemoser Sat 31-Jan-15 13:48:19

I think now they are very keen on skin to skin contact to keep fairly small babies as well as they can be.
Not if they need lots of extra support but it is supposed to help keep body temperature and heart rhythms stable.

I have to look up how to spell rhythms every time.

Flowerofthewest Sat 31-Jan-15 18:47:24

Handsome lads Penstemmon