Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Involving Grandparents in nursery/playgroup fundraising

(10 Posts)
janeainsworth Sun 25-Jan-15 22:26:48

If you need equipment, could you ask parents and grandparents to donate things they no longer need?

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 19:29:49

DGC love spending my money at the school fêtes, also the other granny's, whereas mum and dad give them some money to spend and when it's gone it's gone.

My purse is bottomless of course grin

Juliette Sun 25-Jan-15 19:01:42

Yes I know rosequartz, I'm not miserablr really! just thought I sounded so in that last post. Looking back I've been on a committee somewhere for nearly forty years, from playgroup through school for the DC, did a stint at DGS playgroup, then attendance at school fetes etc. fortunately DH and I became an embarrassment to him when he was about fourteen so haven't had a go on a tombola for a couple of years. smile

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 18:33:48

We're not miserable, Juliette. We've been there, done that, got the t-shirt as they say!

I'm older and have less energy now, but am quite happy to contribute to the DGC's fetes, fairs, sports days - I could even find the energy to make a cake as a contribution, but we have done our bit! And the young mums I know are all so enthusiastic.

I am sure that Nana and Grandma will be more than happy to take the DGC around the stalls and the DGC will be more than happy to spend the Grannies' money smile

Juliette Sun 25-Jan-15 18:24:37

Agree with the other posters. I think my fundraising days are over. More than happy to spend a portion of my disposable income, provide raffle prizes etc. but wouldn't want to be involved in anything more. Good luck with your search for the grannies that are slightly less miserable than me.

Humbertbear Sun 25-Jan-15 17:35:21

I agree with Rosequartz on this one. I have a very busy life which includes an elderly mother, a sick husband and caring for the grand children twice a week. I am very happy to support the children and sponsor them, buy raffle tickets and take them to fetes etc but I feel I have done my share of fundraising committees and staffing stalls

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 23:15:18

Have you checked to see if you are eligible for funding ?

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 23:12:59

If you young ones organise it all I am sure the GPs will be happy to come along and spend their well-earned pensions and support in that way.

Speaking as someone who spent many years helping at playgroup, nursery and school fetes and is happy to step back and let the parents do their bit - but who is more than happy to come along and spend her well-earned pension (and let the grandchildren spend more of it) while mummy/daddy sets it up, mans/womans a stall and clears up afterwards!

rubysong Sat 24-Jan-15 19:29:21

Our WI vintage tea party went down well last year, with embroidered table cloths and napkins and three tier cake stands. They had sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and cream. Of course there was lots of tea from tea pots, served by ladies in frilly pinnies.

DonnaP Fri 23-Jan-15 19:58:36

Hello Grans - wisdom wanted please!

My three year old daughter recently started nursery, it's a charity one (not government run or profit-making), run in the local village hall and is largely reliant on fundraising for new supplies and equipment. I've joined the fundraising committee and am after some ideas!

Also, the reason for posting on here specifically (apart from the fact the you've been there- done that!) is that I'd like to find a way to get grandparents involved in the fundraising. My daughter is very close to her Nana and Grandma and it occurred to me that lots of the grandparents would probably like the opportunity to be more involved. A bit of a generalisation (sorry!) but they may have a bit more time and disposable income than parents too.

Have any of you been involved in fundraising for your granchildren's playgroups and do you have any ideas for how I can involve grandparents?

Thanks,

Donna