Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Today's the day!

(97 Posts)
AshTree Mon 22-Jun-15 05:06:31

Here I am, up at the crack of dawn to take my DD in for an elective c-section. She has to report at 7.15 (along with at least two other ladies that she met at the pre-op on Thursday). So we don't know what time she'll be meeting her little one, but hopefully sooner today rather than later.
I will keep you posted. SO EXCITED!!! grin

Judthepud2 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:13:36

Yes AshTree jaundice is very common in the first few weeks. Liver sometimes not yet functioning fully. Because your DD had a c-section she is still in hospital so getting the UV treatment. 3 of my DGCs were home within 24 hours and developed mild jaundice. DDs just told to give plenty of fluids. It went away after a few days. Frightening for a new mum though. sad

Hope all settles down soon.

Our newest GC has just turned back to back, little rascal. So we will probably be waiting a bit longer for her to arrive!

pinkprincess Wed 24-Jun-15 20:23:14

Hoping the jaundice clears up soon Ash Tree
I am sure it will it is common in newborn babies
My second granddaughter who is now 21 was jaundiced at 2 days old. She was home from hospital by this time and the midwife told DIL to put her cot under a window, fine but it was February so not much sun!
They had to give her plenty of boiled water between feeds as well but it soon cleared up

Sending all three of you best wishes

AshTree Wed 24-Jun-15 18:42:28

Thanks all. I'm here with her again today and I must have misunderstood because she can take her out of the uv crib to feed. But yes, it is a bit of a struggle so she'll top up with formula until her milk comes through properly. Goodness, I'd forgotten just what a steep learning curve it is! But at least my DD is feeling quite calm and not stressing too much about it, thank heaven!

Tegan Wed 24-Jun-15 13:25:38

It's good to hear that she has a supportive midwife flowers.

downtoearth Wed 24-Jun-15 12:57:04

congratulations ashtree and to your family,was at the birth of DGD 16 years ago that bond is so special between mum,and her mum and the newborn ...exciting times ahead sunshine flowers

Bellanonna Wed 24-Jun-15 12:23:31

Poor girl, she's just got over pregnancy and her C Sec. She must be physically and emotionally exhausted. Seeing little Indigo taken off to another ward and needing extra attention is worrying at this vulnerable time for her. DD2 herself was jaundiced over 40 years ago but wasn't given any special attention, so things do change. Do reassure your DD - well, of course you have - and Indigo will be fine and latching on very soon. The latter can, as we know, take a bit of time, but they'll both get there in the end. sunshine

grannyactivist Wed 24-Jun-15 12:14:14

Ash Tree my sons have Gilbert's syndrome so both had long lasting jaundice after birth, but are now great strapping young men. Your daughter doesn't really need advice - just encouragement for a couple of days as she comes through the 'baby blues' and as Indigo gets better.

when the change in practice from when my boys had jaundice and I was actively encouraged to breast feed is due to research showing that breast-fed infants have higher bilirubin levels than formula-fed infants.

flowers for you.

AshTree Wed 24-Jun-15 11:59:06

Thanks when and Brenda. I know she'll come through it soon, it's very common in newborns. I'm more worried about my DD because she's upset!

Brendawymms Wed 24-Jun-15 10:18:40

Both my kids were jaundiced, one all over and the other top half only, very strange. Then it didn't make any difference to care at all with no special care. It will clear soon enough once the liver starts processing.
Do not worry about it.

whenim64 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:09:12

I hope the jaundice reduces quickly, Ashtree. I've not come across the practice of making the baby stay under the UV light rather than breast feed. My jaundiced grandkids were in and out like yoyos for their feeds just a few years ago. Don't things change on maternity wards?

AshTree Wed 24-Jun-15 09:18:32

Thanks pinkprincess and janea

The poor little scrap is now under UV light with jaundice sad. They had to be moved in the early hours of this morning to the transitional care ward. This in itself was a logistical nightmare, because in an effort to keep her small space on the ward free of clutter, we had taken her bag home, intending to bring it back on discharge day and pack everything to bring her home. So they had to find boxes to pack everything up and transfer two floors down, which took two trips blush.

It means that Indigo can't breast feed now as she can't leave the UV crib, so the midwife is helping DD to express and feed her with a syringe sad

On the plus side, we're hoping this will mean they stay in for an extra day, which they probably both need.

janeainsworth Wed 24-Jun-15 03:37:39

Only just seen this Ashtree - many congratulations!
What a beautiful little girl and lovely names sunshine

pinkprincess Wed 24-Jun-15 00:45:34

Thankyou Ash Tree

I think you did very well, your daughter must be very proud of you.
My DS2 is father of five children and was present at all their births, including one by C-section she was a premature baby who is now a beautiful nearly 19 year old.This surprised me as he would turn up his nose at the sight of a dirty nappy.
It is a lovely feeling holding your newborn grandchild, mine are all long past the baby stage now but last year I became a great grandmother so it is starting all over again.
Best wishes to your daughter as well from me, I hope she makes a speedy recovery , coming from one C-section mother to another.
I also think you would have made a very good theatre nurse, I am a retired nurse so know what it is.

Give your granddaughter loads of cuddles I know you will.I also know that you will be helping your daughter very much. Look after them both, you are a star.

AshTree Wed 24-Jun-15 00:18:54

pinkprincess I'm not usually in the least squeamish, so wasn't worried about being in theatre. But it did occur to me that I might feel altogether different seeing my daughter under the knife shock. As it happened, I was only concerned for how she was and the baby, of course. After the baby was born, I was standing and helping DD to hold her as DD's arms were tingling and shaky. I could therefore see over the screen, and saw them putting her all back together again (including seeing her uterus outside and being put back in again shock). Didn't bother me one iota. I was quite surprised at my non reaction. #shouldhavebeenatheatrenurse #missedmyvocaton grin

pinkprincess Wed 24-Jun-15 00:08:19

Congratulations Ash Tree

43 years ago last Sunday I was giving birth to my DS2 by emergency C-section, but it was under GA and I did not get to see him until two days later, times have certainly changed!. He is now a grandfather but it still feels like yesterday when he was born.
Your new granddaughter is beautiful and how
good of you to see her born, my mother nearly fled out of the room when she visited me later that day because I had an IV drip up!.

It is lovely being a grandmother enjoy all your happy times ahead.

AshTree Wed 24-Jun-15 00:07:00

Thank you Judthepud2. And you're about to have a new DGC too! Good luck, do hope all goes well and I look forward to your news on here smile

Judthepud2 Tue 23-Jun-15 23:15:49

Aww what a lovely photo of your new little DGD. Congratulations to your DD and to you. I have been thinking about your DD and hoping all was going to plan. So glad to hear the good news of the baby's safe arrival. flowers smile

Waiting with bated breath for my number 6 to arrive any time soon.

AshTree Tue 23-Jun-15 22:49:35

Thank you Deedaa smile

Deedaa Tue 23-Jun-15 20:23:06

What a gorgeous baby Ash Tree congratulations to you and your DD of course smile

AshTree Tue 23-Jun-15 18:49:32

Thank you all so much for your good wishes (which I've been showing my DD, btw smile).

Isn't it funny - we don't really 'know' each other on here, but all your congratulations really do mean so much to me and to my DD. It's been so lovely reading all your posts and feeling the shared sense of happiness.

Thank you again smile

Katek Tue 23-Jun-15 13:18:41

Congratulations Ashtree!! Lots of good wishes winging their way to you and your family.

etheltbags1 Tue 23-Jun-15 11:27:16

Ash tree I wish your DD good luck its the best thing in the world to see you DGC born. It was the best day of my life x

bikergran Tue 23-Jun-15 11:01:37

lovely jubbly ...enjoy smile well done to all.

KatyK Tue 23-Jun-15 10:30:42

She's beautiful. Congratulations flowers

kittylester Tue 23-Jun-15 09:45:54

What a gorgeous baby and with such lovely names. Congratulations to you all! wine