Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler on holiday

(16 Posts)
granjules Thu 20-Aug-15 17:04:16

Thanks for all the advice. The holiday went very smoothly. We had a downstairs room and DGS found the balcony bars too high and too narrow even for his escapist tendencies. I bought European plug covers which went on as soon as we arrived- just as well as he was keen to investigate them.
A holiday with two small children is never going to be relaxing as you have to keep your eyes on them the whole time,but DD and I and the children all enjoyed ourselves.

seasider Wed 22-Jul-15 07:31:19

If the balcony has no gap at the bottom and you remove any table/chairs DC could climb on they should be ok. We have travelled with young children with no problem. Ground floor rooms can be noisy but if you are on the back by the pool it is generally quiet when the pool closes.

trisher Tue 21-Jul-15 11:27:53

Depends on the location of your hotel and its security. There are places I wouldn't want a ground floor room, mostly large city/holiday venues. If you are somewhere secure I would go for ground. Has also the advantage that afternoon naps can be taken whilst adults sit outside. Close the shutters and not the windows at night if it is a quiet area.

thatbags Tue 21-Jul-15 06:38:32

do the rooms have mosquito screens across open windows? That'd solve the problem.

thatbags Tue 21-Jul-15 06:37:14

Victorian or not, I think that's very considerate, phoenix. I'd appreciate that kind of offer.

thatbags Tue 21-Jul-15 06:36:32

Don't balconies have balustrades (or whatever they're called) to prevent even adults from falling off them? Why is a balcony more dangerous than a house landing?

Won't the toddler be in a cot with high sides?

If I were really worried, I sleep on the floor across the open balcony windows so any escapist child had to climb over me to get onto the balcony.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 00:23:17

I would opt for ground floor with children, easier and safer all round.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jul-15 00:21:35

Phoenix that sounds very Victoriangrin

Anne58 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:19:05

When I was traveling a fair bit in previous job, I was occasionally asked if I would prefer a "ladies room" I was a bit confused until someone explained the policy with regard to "ladies" traveling alone, in that you were not put on the ground floor.

Lona Mon 20-Jul-15 14:55:52

A ground floor room has drawbacks too. If you leave the windows open there is the possibility of someone getting in.

J52 Mon 20-Jul-15 14:01:44

Is there air conditioning to put on at night? I wouldn't have the window open in case bugs or other unwanted got in.

x

whitewave Mon 20-Jul-15 14:01:03

We have always taken our grandchildren away until they are too old. It is pretty exhausting but very enjoyable and really all you need is sand and sea not even sun!!. You will probably spend very little time in the room apart from sleeping and we used to settle down almost as soon as the children to conserve energy for the next day

Luckygirl Mon 20-Jul-15 13:55:19

Nonnie - I think that the OP indicated that there was a possibility of changing the booking to a ground floor room. This would seem to be a sensible option - holidays are for relaxing!

Nonnie Mon 20-Jul-15 12:33:23

Not very helpful to tell someone who has already booked that they got it wrong!

If 17 month old will be in a cot you should be able to leave the windows open as a 5 yr old will be sensible enough. It might be that when you see the balcony you will have nothing to worry about. Is there such a thing as a folding stair gate you could take?

I doubt there will be too many plugs in the room so, if necessary, put a suitcase in front of each one!

Of course you will worry taking them away without their parents but you didn't ever expect it to be a relaxing holiday did you?

Have fun. Wish DiL would let us take the 3 year old as well as the 5 year old but she thinks it is OK to split them up!

Luckygirl Mon 20-Jul-15 11:58:10

To be honest I would not take a toddler to an apartment with a balcony - just too much hassle to be on edge all the time - perhaps an unfortunate choice of phrase but you know what I mean! Holidays are for relaxing.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clippasafe-2-Pin-European-Plug-Socket-Covers-/360523775476

Here is link to socket covers - there are lots on ebay and amazon.

granjules Mon 20-Jul-15 11:44:18

DD and I are taking DGD aged 5 and DGS aged 17 months to Spain. We are now starting to REALLY think about the complications of two small children in a hotel room with balcony! Should we ask for a ground floor room or stick with what we originally requested, which was for somewhere quiet? Is anyone going to sleep if we have to keep the windows shut at night? In particular, does anyone know of somewhere we can get plug covers for European electric fittings, preferably before we leave UK, as DGS seems to have a special interest in plugs?