Silver Cross Surf 2 Pram and Travel System - overall rating 9.8/10
(2015) I received the Surf 2 travel system to review from Silver Cross, in Black. It comprises a chassis, newborn carrycot (for use up to 6 months) and a pushchair seat for use from 6 months +. You can also use the Simplicity Car Seat with the Surf 2 chassis, which I would thoroughly recommend.
Our baby is 4 months so we've only used the newborn carrycot so far, but we're hugely impressed with the Surf 2.
- Easy to fold up to put in the car - just one motion and one touch of a button and it collapses down flat and clips together so you can carry it easily in one hand.
- It's relatively lightweight for such a sturdy travel system.
- It's really easy to remove one or both wheels to make the chassis narrower for packing into a car. We found this really helpful at Christmas time when we were travelling around with the vast amount of stuff you seem to carry around with a newborn as well as Christmas pressies etc.
- You can adjust the handle to have it at 4 different heights, which is really useful as my husband is taller than me so likes to be able to extend it when he's in charge.
- The shopping basket is useful but is on the small side, and a bit tricky to access when you're using the carrycot, but it looks like it'll be easier when we move on to the 6 month+ seat.
- The suspension is fantastic - our local park is quite gravelly and it feels like the baby will get bounced around a lot at first but they don't because of the rugged back wheels and great suspension. We've also used the buggy off-road in muddy fields and in sandy playgrounds and it copes fantastically with both of those terrains.
- The handling is also great - the turning circle is tiny and it's so easy to steer. Great for use in town (have been into central London with it lots of times with no bother) and in the country.
- There's a wheel lock on the front wheels, which means you can set the wheels so they only go back and forth in one direction - useful when you're trying to rock the baby to sleep in the carrycot.
- The carrycot and Simplicity car seat both clip in and out of the chassis really easily.
- Made of lovely fabric - hard-wearing on the outside and lovely and soft on the inside
- It's big enough to last until 6 months (I hope) - our baby is 4 months now and still has plenty of room to grow and she's a tall baby. Several of my friends with babies the same age are already growing out of their carrycots before they hit six months, so I think this one is on the larger side but without seeming too big.
- You can use the carrycot for sleeping in too, which we did a couple of times when we went away for weekends when the baby was very small. Saves you having to think about a carry cot or taking a Moses basket.
- The rain cover is easy and quick to fit and seems very waterproof. it also packs away very small into a little pouch that can go in the shopping basket which is handy.
- The only negative about the carry cot is that when the apron is on, it's not that easy to zip and unzip every time you want to get the baby in and out of the carry cot. That means you have it zipped up which makes it tricky to get the baby in and out, but it may be that we're not using it quite right! This won't be a problem with the pushchair seat.
We haven't used the pushchair unit yet but I'll come back and update this when we have.
Overall, an exceptionally high quality product where you can tell that every detail has really been thought about. I'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for a travel system that meets all your needs.
VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jul-15 14:41:56
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:44:49
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:48:43
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:51:01
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:55:14
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:57:13
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:01:33
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:03:21
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:04:59
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:36:06
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:40:18
HelenRGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 30-Jul-15 15:30:15
adamjohnson Mon 21-Sep-15 11:54:36
ConnieP Wed 23-Aug-17 09:57:00