Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

child minding

(14 Posts)
disgruntled66 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:30:01

My daughter has just told me (by text) that her Dr said her one year old has another virus and it's nursery's fault. Apparently he said to her "Ask you mum to look after her instead of paying nursery, buy your mum a cardigan".

annsixty Fri 14-Aug-15 12:36:34

It beggers belief shock

aggie Fri 14-Aug-15 12:48:21

Huh some Doctor that ! They must have put upon their dear old Mum for the odd crumb ! The child is going to meet viruses at school anyway

Bellanonna Fri 14-Aug-15 12:59:31

Damn cheek! What's a cardigan got to do with anything ? How rude and flippant is that, too. I notice it's a male doctor. Just saying...

MiniMouse Fri 14-Aug-15 13:02:56

Perhaps you should have replied that your DM doesn't need a cardigan as she knits her own while sitting in the corner in her rocking chair wink

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 13:24:40

I think he was having a bit of fun; reckon your DD must be a nice chatty sort of patient smile.

hildajenniJ Fri 14-Aug-15 14:11:45

I just read that babysitting your grandchildren decreases the risk of you developing dementia. Apparently it increases cognitive function. This is a good thing. Babysit the DGC all you can, and accept the Cardigan with good grace.grin

marfin41 Fri 14-Aug-15 17:52:06

I feel Taken for granted. I've been a very good gran despite having rheumatoid arthritis. I looked after my first grandchild 3 days a week 8 years ago. I babysit for the 3 now when needed, had the kids for 2 weeks whilst my daughter and sil went away. She's arranged a night out for her 30th. I asked her today whose having the kids. She stormed out saying I was being difficult cos I knew I'd be having them overnight so why am I asking. I'm going mad here. Is it me or is that disrespectful?

marfin41 Fri 14-Aug-15 17:57:49

Sorry meant to start a thread. But your situation beggars belief!

Luckygirl Fri 14-Aug-15 17:58:35

That sounds a bit like being taken for granted, and, unless you asked the question in a sarcastic way, rather bad mannered of your DD. What a strange thing for her to say. No wonder you feel a bt fed up.

If looking after the children so much is difficult for you and taking too much of a toll on your health, then maybe this is something that needs to be discussed.

Falconbird Fri 14-Aug-15 18:21:35

My dil said that I was irritating because she always had to ask me to babysit.

Well how else am I expected to know when I was needed. confused

I sent her a text ages ages before saying "If you need me I'm there."

Maybe I should try to develop physic abilities.

rosesarered Fri 14-Aug-15 20:30:14

It's true that attending nursery does seem to mean a lot of viruses are spread around, my DGC have them all the time.I help when I can, and I would quite like a new cardigan.grin

NotTooOld Fri 14-Aug-15 23:12:02

Bloomin' cheek, Disgruntled. I would have felt the same as you. Incidentally, have you wondered why your DD told you this? It wasn't a hint, was it?

Pippa000 Sat 15-Aug-15 10:02:02

Just read today that if grandparents were paid for looking after grandchildren their average wage would be £22,000 a year. grin