Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Present for 7 year old grandson

(11 Posts)
pattieb Fri 18-Sep-15 14:47:43

My Grandson will be 7 next month and we need to think of a suitable gift for that and for Christmas.
I have asked his dad what to buy and given a couple of suggestions which he didn't think he would like (a simon game)

He is in to Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Harry Potter and Lego.
I just haven't a clue as to what to get and don't know what he already has.

Any ideas gratefully received especially for something a bit unusual.

hildajenniJ Fri 18-Sep-15 15:05:56

Have you seen Robo fish, my DGS's had them last year, you can also get Robo turtles and Robo mermaids the latter perhaps not for a boy. They love them. Have a look at a stomp rocket, I have bought one for my 6 yr old GS. You can't go wrong with Lego. You can get all sorts of sets. I am sure that they do star wars, and Harry potter sets.

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-15 15:28:18

I would agree that Lego is good especially for boys! DGD1 is 7 next week and we have bought her a microscope as she is really into nature at the moment.

I try not to ask for suggestions as I think some of the best presents children get are ones where someone has thought 'outside the box'.

rubysong Fri 18-Sep-15 15:29:36

I have just sent DGS plastic Meccano. I don't know how successful it is, I haven't had any feedback yet but the ages on reviews looked about right. DH and my brother loved the metal Meccano years ago.

M0nica Fri 18-Sep-15 17:35:40

Can you ask him what he would like for his birthday? We tend to take the direct approach in our family, unless there is something so obviously wanted it is a no-brainer.

We do not necessarily guarantee that what is asked for will be given, but if the request is made in a general discussion and you too could suggest items, enough of an air of uncertainity can be created for whatever arrives on the day to be surprise.

Luckygirl Fri 18-Sep-15 17:39:42

Magic set? www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Magic-Set/dp/B0036MDQP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442516668&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+tricks+for+children This looks like a good one.

SewAddict Fri 18-Sep-15 18:56:35

My grandsons love Lego. They do all kinds of sets, including new Star Wars Lego that is just out as a new film is out soon. I just bought Ninja Turtle lego for a birthday present. Science based toys go down well with boys too. Magnetix is good.How about this from Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/Geomag-Piece-Space-Glow-Pieces/dp/B0052XL2Z2/ref=sr_1_1?

It's magnetic, glow in the dark and space themed!

joannapiano Fri 18-Sep-15 20:22:06

A football, basketball or rugby ball? A favourite of our DGSs. Good for lots of fresh air, exercise and running off excess energy!

TwiceAsNice Sat 19-Sep-15 00:17:11

Lego is good a set such as a fire or police station perhaps or a castle with Knights. If outdoors how about roller skates or a go kart

pattieb Tue 22-Sep-15 15:22:19

Many thanks for all you comments and ideas. I really appreciate them.
Magic set sounds great Luckygirl and thanks for the link.

I really like the glow in the dark space thingy SewAddict, thanks for that link too.

Loads of ideas for Lego, even though he has the lego we kept from our children and plays with it at our house. I don't think any one ever has enough it's such fun!!

My Daughter fancies the robbo fish Hidajennij (she is 34!!!)

rosequartz Tue 22-Sep-15 17:55:34

I watched an 11 year old perform magic at a children's show with DGS (who is 7). I must say, DGS was very intrigued, so that could be an idea for part of his Christmas present. Thanks Luckygirl.

We won't be there, unfortunately, so he can drive the rest of the family mad entertain the rest of the family with tricks [ grin]