Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Anyone else think mind-reading lessons for grandparents would be a good idea?

(10 Posts)
Handynan27 Sun 06-Dec-15 14:32:05

Do you find that DS or DD are sparing with the finer details when asking you to have the grandchildren for the weekend? Is there an assumption you'll be dropping them back at home which you only find out about by text at short notice? Is mind-reading an essential skill for grandparents?

MiniMouse Sun 06-Dec-15 14:37:07

You didn't check the smallprint did you Handynan27? wink

granjura Sun 06-Dec-15 14:40:19

Yes ;)

rosequartz Sun 06-Dec-15 14:58:03

Ha ha ha!
"Oh, by the way, that's the weekend that DGC1 has a judo contest 20 miles away, DGC2 has a rehearsal for a nativity play in the church and DGC3 is in a pantomime in the village hall, two performances, ..... and the dog ....."
I shouldn't laugh but it helps!

Wendysue Sun 06-Dec-15 15:07:25

LOL! Don't you just "love" those last minute, "Oh, by the way" comments?

Yes, mindreading lessons would definitely help sometimes. I have to say though that my DD is very good about telling me the details, so I can't really complain. However, I have friends who are forever being taken by surprise with the "But we didn't want you to do that" remarks.

Short of mindreading, I think asking questions could help in some of these cases. I know if I'm not sure if DD would be ok with this or that, I just ask, even if it means calling or texting her after she has already left the GC at my house. Sometimes, she gets annoyed, but I figure better she be annoyed for a moment than angry at me later. Most of the time, she appreciates it or is just matter-of-fact about it. So I say, if you're not sure, ask!

mollie Sun 06-Dec-15 17:44:50

I ask. Its easier. But I've only one and she's only 4 and we haven't done all weekend yet so maybe I ought to learn mind reading for future use?

I'd forgotten how quickly kids change their likes so you hear 'but you loved those last time' a lot in my house. And 'but you had to sleep the other way you said!' And us it only my GD who gets more manic the more tired she gets? Why doesn't she wind down like the rest of us?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 06-Dec-15 18:55:26

I have a GS who gets more and more manic the tireder he gets too. Very difficult to understand, let alone deal with, although if you are aware of it, you can try putting an apparently manic child to bed and get a pleasant surprise when s/he doesn't get up again straight away, but goes straight to sleep!

Deedaa Sun 06-Dec-15 20:49:02

I tend to text at lunchtime and say "What am I supposed to be doing this afternoon?" To be fair I do spring the odd days when I've got doctor or dentist and can't baby sit - "OH darling, I was sure I'd warned you" tchgrin

cornergran Sun 06-Dec-15 20:55:15

Crystal ball alive and well here. tchgrin.

Scooter58 Mon 07-Dec-15 05:41:27

Oh yes,mind reading would be a very useful qualification.My daughter frequently insists "Mum,I told you that" or "Mum,I asked you to watch them on (insert day) ". When I know fine well she didn't smile