Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Being enthusiastic

(13 Posts)
JackyB Mon 28-Dec-15 11:47:35

Should I be me or should I overdo it?

After over 60 years on the planet, nothing really excites or even annoys me any more. But I remember particularly my mother-in-law, who at 81 could still get excited about little things like a dandelion clock, a leaf in the breeze, or chasing a dice or a table tennis ball across the floor. She generated the same enthusiasm and sense of wonder in my children when they were toddlers and I think this is a Good Thing - children should be amazed and enthralled by everything.

So how do I go about encouraging enthusiasm, inquisitiveness and a sense of fun in my DGC's if I don't really feel it myself? If I pretend, they'll surely see through it immediately.

Jane10 Mon 28-Dec-15 12:00:30

Its my DGCs enthusiasm for the little unexpected things that makes me enthusiastic. I enjoy seeing things through their eyes!

loopylou Mon 28-Dec-15 12:03:10

I felt a bit like that Jacky when DGS was born, and it's only now when he's 2 that I've felt more comfortable doing things like marvelling at a ladybird or chasing falling leaves..

Last night DGS and I had a wonderful bubbles session in the bathroom, blowing foam everywhere. DGS was in hysterics (he calls me 'Silly Nonna') and we had a lovely 20 minutes of being daft. DS and DDIL left us to it.

I think it's something that develops, perhaps pretending will start things off? This morning we spent half an hour playing hide and seek together, hiding under the table or under a duvet, and he certainly seems to enjoy our games together.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 28-Dec-15 12:57:32

Get them a subscription to some kids' wildlife magazine and let them sort it out for themselves. Either they will be nature kids or they won't. Plenty of other things in the world these days to marvel at.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 28-Dec-15 12:59:42

No point in tiring yourself out with a lot of false enthusiasm. Seriously.

JackyB Mon 28-Dec-15 13:18:50

Well - they're not up to magazines yet, jingle, and it's not necessarily just nature I want to help them to discover.

But maybe I am growing into it. Playing peep-bo and clapping seem to be my contribution to their fun at the moment. My mother is not very demonstrative, but she could have fun with my DS when they were toddlers in her own quiet way. Probably I shall be like her.

DH, never a demonstrative type either, seems to enjoy making a fool of himself with them, to an extent that I find cringingly embarrassing.

loopylou Mon 28-Dec-15 13:30:12

It'll grow as the DGCs do, I'm sure.

My DH goes ott too but DGS seems to appreciate it even if the rest of us roll our eyes and cringe!

Each to their own, my mum's like yours too JackyB, just as I am too.

rosesarered Mon 28-Dec-15 13:32:03

Put on a bit of enthusiasm if you really don't 'feel it', ( that's what I do) however don't feel you need to be like a children's tv presenter either!

Greyduster Mon 28-Dec-15 14:22:53

It gets more difficult the older both you and they get. My grandson (nearly nine) loves to play monopoly - my heart sinks at the mention of the word monopoly, but i will play because he loves it. I love to cook with him, but these days, he would rather do something else if he can get away with it. We did make some cracking shortbread this Christmas though! The idea of going for a long walk is anathema to him these days, and football down at the park is becoming a bridge too far for both DH and me, but making football teams out of assorted Playmobil figures on the landing is good fun - and only limited by the amount of time i can spend on my knees! And there is always LEGO!!! Don't try and be enthusiastic about everything - it's all about finding a balance.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Dec-15 14:30:01

Enthusiasm and a sense of wonder are what make children such a joy to be around. I took my 2 year old GD to the village school to see their show and she went to the toilet there. I cannot tell what joy it was to her that the soap was frothy and the towels were made of green paper! If only I could find such joy in such small things!

OlderNoWiser Mon 28-Dec-15 14:52:04

Unfortunately, or maybe luckily, I seem to be the exact opposite ... life is marvellous and if only we take the time to stop, stand and stare more often we will find things we have never seen before worth getting enthusiastic about. I feel sorry for people who have lost that ability and hope I will never get there.

When my grandchildren tell me I am silly I take that as a compliment - there is nothing better than playing daft games with them. We have had Indian tents made of blankets in the back garden, made magic potions from water, a bit of dirt and a few dry leaves, and have sunflower growing competitions to see whose is the tallest.

If I had to chose between these things and some grand foreign holiday adventure I would take the magic potion everytime smile

Anya Mon 28-Dec-15 15:21:41

I'm a naturally enthusiastic, optimistic type of person still. But there are those around me who are becoming very grumpy and negative as they age, DH being a prime example, and they can steal my energy if I'm not careful.

Energy vampires!

But the GC are great for helping me to see the world through their eyes. Just be prepared to enter their world; listen to them and join in grin

grannyactivist Mon 28-Dec-15 16:24:41

It's my natural inclination to be a cross between a pantomime character and a stern schoolteacher. I thoroughly enjoy being with children and must give off vibes that encourage them as I am what my family describe as a 'child magnet'. I taught Sunday School for 27 years, ran children's and families clubs, lunchtime clubs for children and have taken more school assemblies than I can count. I'm happy to make a fool of myself and don't mind getting down to the level of the child. I find that children's natural enthusiasm fuels my own and I often 'catch' their excitement at simple things.

Just opposite my house is a lane that leads to the river and there is a manhole cover with the sound of water flowing beneath it. When he was younger my grandson and I would spend many minutes listening to, and being captivated by, the different sounds of the water; rushing loudly or quietly trickling. Last Christmas my older son gave me a gift of a photo taken of my grandson squatting down by the pothole cover listening to the water - a beautiful memory captured.