Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandson's appetite

(12 Posts)
Ginny42 Mon 28-Dec-15 18:23:42

Is it me? My seven year old GS is small for his age, but he's a very healthy little boy. He is seldom ill and has fantastic levels of energy. He's a bright and lively child taking an interest in everything. However, my DD worries constantly about how little he eats.

I think he eats enough. He's given healthy food; it's a struggle to get him to eat vegetables and we camouflage them by shredding them into pasta, etc. He eats cereals, eggs, fruit, fish, some meat e.g. ham. He eats fruit like apples, pears,kiwis, grapes; he will eat pineapple and mango. He is reluctant to eat fruit for breakfast - DD says, 'We eat fruit for breakfast in this house and he's got to get used to it.'

However, I feel she serves him too much food and every meal becomes a battle ground. I try not to show my concern, but if he's full, he's full. I've tried to say to give him less so that he can actually finish a meal.

She says, 'Mum, he only eats enough to stay active. He's not eating enough to grow.'

It is me or is that just nonsense?

loopylou Mon 28-Dec-15 18:29:20

So long as he's healthy and happy I wouldn't worry - he'll probably have a growth spurt soon.

rosesarered Mon 28-Dec-15 18:45:27

Hard to say, I have two DGS's ( different parents) and neither eat enough to keep a flea alive and both are underweight and under sized.Encouraging them to eat, bribing them to eat, being cross etc does no good at all.They are both fit and active ( how?)

Luckygirl Mon 28-Dec-15 18:50:44

If they are fit and active, then just ignore it. The less attention given to it the better, or it will become a weapon to beat Mum and Dad with.

The only thing I would say is that it is important that snacks between meals are kept to a minimum.

Children eat what they need, and that need fluctuates. If your wee GS is picking up on his Mum's anxiety about his eating then it will become a problem, which it isn't at present.

My DD worries about her DD who is a picky eater, but is as fit as a flea and of normal build. I tell her not to worry - she is a canny little lass and will use this for attention if given half a chance!

Deedaa Mon 28-Dec-15 23:35:37

I saw GS1 (9 years old) on Boxing Day when he was changing to go out. Stripped off he is like a skeleton. he's tall for his age and always has been but he has always eaten very little. He eats cereal and pasta, some fruit and a few vegetables but not much meat. He's always been a very picky eater but is very fit, runs like the wind and is rarely ill. His 3 year old brother is completely different, eats far more variety of foods and in larger quantities, and always has done. Although not as thin he is just as energetic and athletic as his older brother.

Personally I like to see a child really enjoying some of the food it is given rather than just eating stuff because it's on the plate.

gillybob Tue 29-Dec-15 00:06:36

Well my three DGC. (5,7 and 9) eat like horses.

They technically should be massive but they are very, very active and mega sporty. We always say they don't keep still long enough to gain any weight.

They do love good food though. Traditional dinners with heaps of vegetables are their favourites.

Having said that they all have muscles like junior Popeyes (sweet peas). smile

Jane10 Tue 29-Dec-15 13:28:48

I have one GS who seems to go for days without eating anything much then has days of eating everything he's offered. Its such a worry when he stays with us and doesn't eat. However there are times when it's 'yes please' to everything. He's very tall and skinny for 4. The other one is built like a tank and will eat anything in sight. That's a worry too! He's 2. They are brothers btw. Couldn't be more different.

TriciaF Tue 29-Dec-15 14:21:49

Ginny42 - it can be upsetting watching mealtime battles with grandchildren, and it's another situation where I've had to hold my tongue. One grandson was very difficult at mealtimes for years, and his parents would argue about it too. He seemed to deliberately eat very slowly and drove them up the wall!
He eats fairly normally now (he's 13) maybe since he's been having meals at school.

gillybob Tue 29-Dec-15 14:34:59

Slightly off topic but I was just remembering my old neighbor who had daily meal time battles with her DD, who for one reason or another would only eat white food. White bread, milk, potatoes, cauliflower, porridge etc. but no meat. everyone said she would grow out of this (including her child psychologist) as she got older but she is now 14 and her mum tells me that she is exactly the same but has added pizza bases and garlic bread to her list of foods to eat. Strangely her little sister eats everything perfectly normally.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 05-Jan-16 00:43:39

parent is making it a battle she will not win. Unfortunately you will make it abttle you can not win either if you try and force the issue. grin

Ds decided he was not eating weetabix for a few days, no toast either. He had left over dinner for breakfast, which was probably healthier but a pain inthe butt to make and remember to put aside. Did not make a big deal of it:there is no point. We are back to the weeta bix now which can be made with only one eye open. less healthy though

try the... "what have you tried?" "have you thought about.... " "what does the GP/school nurse think?"

Some hills are not worth dying on. If the overall diet is adequate, whether it is via meals, snacks etc then it will be fine. A bit of research will show you what micronutrients are needed, and which foods they are in. Always good to know when you are worried that they never eat brocolli, say.

slimgramma Tue 05-Jan-16 01:04:24

I remember 32 years ago. My friends son ate almost nothing but peanut butter and syrup sandwiches! He is now about 6'2" and a heft guy!

Ginny42 Tue 05-Jan-16 01:10:38

Thank you for your responses. I just wish my daughter wouldn't set him up to fail by giving him too much to eat. I feel she's deciding how hungry he is which is ridiculous. I just imagine feeling full and then someone insisting that I eat more. Ugh!