Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Worried granny re daughter's pregnancy...

(10 Posts)
hapgran Sat 07-Jan-17 09:32:15

My DD is 38 weeks with her second child. Evidently the first lost weight in last 2 weeks before birth ( he was 13 days late). This time she had to have a growth scan before Christmas after midwife measured bump with tape measure. All seemed fine. Now she has to have another one on Monday after she saw midwife again. DD not worried but I am - any midwives out there who can help?!

Iam64 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:48:05

I suspect that because of your daughter's previous experience, she and her baby will be monitored very carefully at this stage of the pregnancy. I know scans aren't always reliable but in our case, a scan at 38 weeks led to a planned c section 4 days later. By that time the weight at birth was 2 lbs lighter than had been predicted 3 weeks earlier. The baby was small and very hungry. He's now running about, full of life and absolutely fine. We are very grateful to our local hospital and it sounds as though your daughter and as yet unborn grandchild are in safe hands hapgran. Best x

paddyann Sat 07-Jan-17 11:23:41

at 38 weeks I would have expected them just to admit her and get her labour started ,as she's had issues with her first.Probably isn't something to worry about if they haven't suggested that route though.I hope she starts her labour soon and that its a quick and straight forward delivery for her,

hapgran Sat 07-Jan-17 11:43:20

Thanks lam64 - that is very reassuring. Yes, paddyann, I am wondering if that is what will happen on Monday.

Welshwife Sat 07-Jan-17 12:34:03

I think the scans must show a lot about the size of the baby - when DiL was expecting twins she seemed to have a lot of scans especially towards the end and although a C section was planned she had it earlier as one twin was not getting sufficient nutrients - at birth one weighed over 7 lbs and the other just about 4. They kept him in the special Care unit for a couple of weeks.
They were two this week and both doing fine but there is still a size difference - the little one takes clothes for his age range but the other one has them at least one size larger!

Get ready for lots of cuddles and you have many on here wishing your daughter an easy time next week.

Starlady Sat 07-Jan-17 20:05:30

Not a midwife but I think DD is sharing TMI with you. I know this means a lot to her but she's not worried and you are. IMO, she needs to spare you the details and just let you know when baby is coming. Congrats on becoming a GM again though!

Deedaa Sat 07-Jan-17 21:44:38

In the pre scan days I was examined by a registrar about a week before DD was born. She asked me if I was sure of my dates because the baby was rather small. (No I wasn't sure because the whole pregnancy had come as an enormous surprise!) After she'd gone the liitle Houseman came over and said "Don't worry about what she said, you're quite tall, I think your baby is a perfectly normal size" As DD was 8lb 4oz who do you think was right smile

Swanny Sat 07-Jan-17 21:56:39

Deedaa I had a very similar experience in pre scan days. After being told I may have difficulties giving birth as my spine 'kinks' a bit to the left, the registrar said I should be ok though as it was quite a small baby. I'm 5'10" and my baby was 8lb 2oz - quite big enough thank you very much!

Penstemmon Sat 07-Jan-17 22:23:23

I am sure all is fine hapgran just good monitoring!

When I went for a checkup at Kings College Hospital with DD1 (pre frequent scans!) I was asked if I minded a student examining me. I said I did not. He then proceeded to feel my bump. After a minute or two the consultant asked him for his comments,'It is a small baby and I cannot locate baby's head' came the comforting reply! shock A few days later I gave birth to a vey healthy 9lb 3oz complete baby! I am 5'2" and my bump was huge!

Granjan06 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:45:23

I'm sure everything will be fine, just monitoring. My stepdaughter gave birth at beginning of December (6 weeks prem) she'd been in and out of hospital for over a month(due to unstable blood pressure) and had umpteen scans said baby was v small probably under 3lb when she was born was 3lb14oz and only in hospital for 2 weeks. Now 5lbs and her actual due date is this next week.