Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Out of the mouths of babes

(14 Posts)
sluttygran Sat 14-Jan-17 16:53:58

When we got off the local bus, DGD age not-quite-three, asked me why the lady who had been sitting near us didn't smell very nice.
I explained as simply as I could that washing and bathing kept us all smelling sweet, and that some people couldn't manage it very well.
A couple of weeks later, same bus, same rather smelly person, and DGD pipes up:

"SOME people don't wash their bottoms! WE always wash our bottoms and WE smell like flowers!"

Several passengers started to titter, smelly lady in question smiled indulgently and remarked what a dear little girl DGD is - obviously unaware that she herself was the subject of the conversation.
I was madly trying to distract the tot, and praying she wouldn't make any further remarks, when fortunately the lady reached her stop.

We always inform children that they must tell the truth, so how do we get around the problem of them sometimes stating that truth in a less than diplomatic way?
Also, why are people smelly in this day and age when washing facilities are so freely available? I understand that homeless folk have problems, as might the disabled or sick who find difficulty managing their personal hygiene. I have the greatest sympathy for them, but as a frequent traveller on buses and trains, I am appalled by how many apparently fit and healthy passengers seem unaware of their own pungent odour, even early in the day when they haven't been sweating for hours.
I suppose the simple answer is that THEY don't wash their bottoms! grin

Luckygirl Sat 14-Jan-17 16:56:44

Truly enormous lady approaching us in the street as I was wheeling 3 year old along. I prayed that she would refrain from comment....however: "Mummy, why has that lady got no knees?"

paddyann Sat 14-Jan-17 17:02:35

my daughter at two was obsessed with big girl pants ,when she was being potty trained,I lost count of the number of skirts she attempted to look up ,one day in the chemist she succeeded and her dad was very embarrassed but at least she piped up with "Nice knickers "to the assistant so at least he didn't get blamed

grannypiper Sun 15-Jan-17 16:42:59

paddyann that is hilarious.

morethan2 Sun 15-Jan-17 16:45:42

smile

grannypiper Sun 15-Jan-17 16:49:19

Over the years the children i my classes have told me so many family secrets, and as we all lived on military bases i knew their parents which made it worse, i know the Dad who wore mummy's dresses, i know where most Mummies kept their wine and the letters they hid from their Husbands, and which Husbands were in trouble for scratching their bits in public, calling their bosses rude names and which ones went to the bookies and left the children outside with sweeties

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 16:55:50

I don't understand why the father of the child in Paddyann's story would/might have been blamed...confused

Izabella Sun 15-Jan-17 17:24:52

The poor smelly lady may have had a continence problem rather than not washing her bottom as the OP discusses. She may have a stoma or any array of things causing problems. My cousin has ESRF and smells but there is nothing anyone can do apart from donating a new kidney.

Riverwalk Sun 15-Jan-17 17:36:56

Where do you live slutty that has so many smelly bottoms?

I live in London and also a frequent traveller but rarely come across fellow passengers with 'a pungent odour'.

varian Sun 15-Jan-17 18:22:48

Yesterday we (dds dgds and me) went to the theatre to see a modern musical.

As we were going out one of my dgds (aged 8, who has recently started acting lessons) spotted one of the cast in the foyer. She went up to this chap (a short fat actor of about 50 who had played several character parts) and said to him "you were brilliant"

He was bouyed up by her appreciation and I was very proud of her.

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:58:30

grannypiper, your post gave me a good chuckle ??.

Granjan06 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:06:13

A few years ago I was with my granddaughter, then aged 3. We passed a gentleman who said hello, granddaughter said In a loud voice"he should have washed his face before he came out, it's very dirty" the gentleman was Jamaican and lived on the next street to me.

sluttygran Tue 17-Jan-17 19:52:13

I live in Southampton, riverwalk, and I must say that this problem has been a recent one. Maybe it's because the water rates here are so high - I pay as much for water as I do for electricity, so showers are as brief as possible. Maybe some people don't wash at all!
Izabella I did mention that I understand and sympathise with the fact that some people have problems which interfere with their personal hygiene - I'm not a complete arse!

MissAdventure Tue 24-Jan-17 19:42:45

I dunno. You never know what folk are going through.. depression? Loss of a loved one? Sometimes washing your bottom just doesn't seem that important, I guess?