Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I didn't know about honey!!

(149 Posts)
Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 20:23:16

I am new to Gransnet, but had to ask someone. Since when did honey become dangerous??! I have a great relationship with grandkids, but got told off for giving little one (just turned 1) honey today. DIL said it with a smile, but I feel out of date. I hate to think I have put the little one at risk. What else don't I know??!!

Esspee Fri 27-Jan-17 07:45:15

Should read cornflour hmm. Bit too early for my brain to function!

Esspee Fri 27-Jan-17 07:43:02

I should make it clear for those of you who like to use "talc" that some are really cornflower based which is safe to use. Just read the label!

Esspee Fri 27-Jan-17 07:39:21

Almost forty years ago I had a battle with my mother who insisted my firstborn needed to be dusted in talc. Being a geologist and knowing how close to asbestos talc is in habit (and indeed much talc contains a percentage of asbestos)I held my ground. Many years later she did read that use of talc by women contributed to cancer and admitted I had been right to throw out all the baby powder I received in gifts.

Ana Thu 26-Jan-17 21:58:32

Crikey, what a blast from the past!

I really don't think talcum powder these days contains asbestos (can't read the link as it keeps telling me I can make a difference if I pay...)

NanKate Thu 26-Jan-17 21:38:21

Interesting article MiceElf thanks.

I still remember the lovely smell of a bathed baby smelling of Johnson's baby powder, very evocative of the 1970s.

Talcum gets sand off your feet when leaving the beach and also can stop chaffing on a hot day.

MiceElf Thu 26-Jan-17 21:00:39

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/health/can-talcum-powder-really-cause-cancer/

joinedfromtheotherside Thu 26-Jan-17 20:39:41

NanKate - I joined from MN (I was having a nose at you all talking about us mums) to tell you please don't use talc it's known to have asbestos in it ?

Yes lots of people have survived using it but asbestos is such a strange thing a small amount can kill one person & another one is fine when exposed to loads.

There's some really nice smelling powders made with cornflour that are way safer. I use one from LUSH.

Carry on GN I've stopped being nosey & will go back to MN ?

Jalima Thu 26-Jan-17 12:00:32

DIL was very relaxed about what I gave the DGC but honey was definitely a no-no (and water was the preferred drink).

Jalima Thu 26-Jan-17 11:59:33

like munching cardboard

Actually, tiny DGD2 turned her nose up at those nice organic rice cakes and I don't blame her.

NanKate Thu 26-Jan-17 07:06:50

Slightly off piste. I miss the smell of a newly bathed baby with a dusting of talcum powder. I know talc is now a 'baddy' but my 42 year old DS survived. I still use talc myself but am careful to keep it away from the nether regions grin

A treat/snack for my two GSs are rice cakes yuk !

Araabra Thu 26-Jan-17 00:58:32

"But we gps need to do what the parents ask, anyhow, no need for them to give us a reason."

My DILs tell me precisely what my GC may eat or drink and without reasons. I have no desire to deviate from their rules, I'm a GP not a mum.

Deedaa Wed 25-Jan-17 18:38:30

DD told me about the honey when GS1 was a baby. Didn't know about boiled water, although I don't rmember the GSs having much water. I did hear that babies shouldn't be given filtered water, because once the chlorine has been filtered out the water could have bacteria growing. Tap water of course is chlorinated.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 17:06:29

Perhaps it's more about teeth and not getting the baby used to sweet things if he is one.

Starlady Wed 25-Jan-17 17:05:45

Haven't read all the posts yet, but just want to say I don't think you really need to know the why of things, Poly. Sure, look it up or ask here if you're interested - that's fine. But we gps need to do what the parents ask, anyhow, no need for them to give us a reason.

Starlady Wed 25-Jan-17 17:00:16

Oh wait... just noticed baby is 1. I thought honey was ok then. I guess it's changed? See? We need to check everything!

As for the water, you only suggested. Maybe next time better to put it in the form of a question. But it's not like you're pushing your ideas, so I think you're ok.

Starlady Wed 25-Jan-17 16:57:50

I never heard about the boiled water either. Shows that we grands need to check with the parents about any new rules for kids, etc. or just ask before we do something.

Grantasticpasta, sorry you didn't know about honey. That rule's been around a long time. But glad you accepted it and didn't try to fight it. Maybe that's why dil was so nice about it. I'm glad she was because some of them aren't.

judylow Tue 24-Jan-17 23:14:24

I knew about the honey but have never heard of not giving babies boiled water.

Momof3 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:45:17

Maybe because there is no accurate recording of allergy and asthma incidences. Parents can not afford the medication (I live outside of the uk and asthma medication is horribly expensive). Therefore children just die so maybe we shouldn't compare ourselves to 3rd world countries

M0nica Tue 24-Jan-17 22:25:25

Oh, I am not denying that, but the many that survive, survive in the same conditions that kill the others and grow up to have more.

notanan Tue 24-Jan-17 22:22:15

My 16month old GS drinks lots of tap water and is encouraged at every opportunity to do so

Water is fine for breastfed babies once solids are introduced

before solids, breast fed babies shouldn't be having water.

notanan Tue 24-Jan-17 22:20:05

Every country that goes through a big population boost (UK 1750 - 1850), many African countries today, does it when living conditions for adults, children and babies are very rough and ready, and not particularly hygienic.

ummm, populations with high birth rates tend to also have high infant mortality!

So you have 14 babies and 9 live, but hey-ho, the population is expanding….

Victoria08 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:46:05

My 16month old GS drinks lots of tap water and is encouraged at every opportunity to do so.
He is never given squash or sugary drinks, so he doesn't know any different.

I think it's important to be guided by their parents wishes, but I don't like being told of if I get it wrong. After all, we are only trying to do our best and after a gap of 35 years, you tend to forget what's what.
When my daughter was born I was given a book on Dr, Spock and avidly devoured it.
How times have changed.

wot Tue 24-Jan-17 21:41:06

That's interesting, Monica. I bet the children didn't have so many allergies or asthma either.

M0nica Tue 24-Jan-17 21:24:30

I think babies are much more robust than we realise. Otherwise there wouldn't be, what is it? 5 or 6 billion. Every country that goes through a big population boost (UK 1750 - 1850), many African countries today, does it when living conditions for adults, children and babies are very rough and ready, and not particularly hygienic.

wot Tue 24-Jan-17 21:22:15

Spanish bibles??smile