Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Getting your priorities right!

(27 Posts)
kittylester Wed 22-Feb-17 08:44:33

I usually collect two of our dgc from school and take them home for tea on Wednesday.DD told them that DH would be meeting them today as my Mum had died last night. As a treat (and because it's easier for him!!) he is going to take them to the pub for tea.

She then asked if they wanted to ask any questions about anything she'd said.

dgd aged 8 said, 'are we allowed a fizzy drink at the pub?' grin

grannypiper Thu 23-Feb-17 14:19:40

you gotta love em

hulahoop Wed 22-Feb-17 22:19:32

Sorry for your loss kitty ? Arn,t kids great levellers .

grannyqueenie Wed 22-Feb-17 18:08:42

There's nothing like a youngster to help us see that life does go on, even in sad times

Lona Wed 22-Feb-17 16:53:28

Bless her kitty she must read Gnet! ?wine

SueDoku Wed 22-Feb-17 16:39:03

So sorry Kitty flowers
Sounds as though your DGC will be lighting up your life in the days to come - and keeping you focused on what's most important..smile They sound lovely...

Legs55 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:25:09

Children are wonderful for just taking it all in their stride, being honest with them is best & be prepared for questions later, usually when you least expect them.

My DGS told DD the other day that he is going to play "peek a boo" with his baby brother (when he's born) because that's what Gramps did with him & Gramps isn't here anymore. He's almost 7 & my DH died 4 years ago. My DD almost criedsmile

Grandchildren bring smiles even in the darkest timesflowers

Jan51 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:18:32

Sorry for your loss Kitty. Children have such a simple factual view of things. Just after my FIL died we were at my parents when my Mum had a funny turn. A little later DD, aged about 5 asked if she was feeling better. My mum said she was to which DD replied 'oh that's good nanny because we don't want another dead one'. What can you say to that lol .

MiniMouse Wed 22-Feb-17 12:41:02

Kitty Is your GD going to be DM Mark 2?

Lupin Wed 22-Feb-17 12:04:34

My condolences KittyLester. I love your humour too.

Crazygrandma2 Wed 22-Feb-17 11:49:27

Losing your mom is so hard. Take care of yourself. Our GC kept me going when mom died. They just see the world so differently and long may that last. flowers

inishowen Wed 22-Feb-17 11:48:40

My GD tells us that we will be dead when she grows up. She is so matter of fact about it. She is also waiting for her cat to die so she can get a rabbit.

mcem Wed 22-Feb-17 11:15:07

It's lovely that your sense of humour shines through, thanks to your DGD.
On Saturday my GD (6) was admiring a colourful new scarf of mine. As she wafted it around she asked in a very matter-of-fact way if she could please have it when I pass away!
I said she could of course and I'd be sure to mention it to her mummy!
The wee ones will be a great comfort and a distraction to you at this difficult time.

Funnygran Wed 22-Feb-17 10:52:14

Sorry for your loss kittylester but your GD's question did make me laugh. Trust a child to get her priorities in order. ? to you and your family.

VIOLETTE Wed 22-Feb-17 10:40:16

Had to laugh ..although it is of course not funny !! Maybe sometime in the future she will ask where great grandma is ...meanwhile I the innocence of youth this looks like a great day for a fizzy drink !

All the best to you and sorry for your loss ! Courage ! flowers

Kim19 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:38:03

My elder GD (4) asked me a very personal and difficult question right out of the blue (as they do, of course). I answered truthfully and steeled myself with an inward panic going on as I awaited her supplementary to my reply. She was silent for a moment, kind of shrugged, then said 'ok then' and skipped away. That moment stays with me.....

radicalnan Wed 22-Feb-17 10:16:55

Kids stick to the routine when given momentous news and process it slowly.

I think a fizzy drink is in order and hugs for you........xx

Cherrytree59 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:15:37

Yes too rightgrin

My Mum sadly passed away when my DC were very young, they kept me sane!

Through all the sadness your DGC will be the sunshine in all your lives .

Disgruntled Wed 22-Feb-17 10:00:31

Brilliant question!! I'd send her a bottle if I could. flowers

palliser65 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:59:45

Fabulous! Hope all's well with you.

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 09:45:33

You and DH will probably feel you could do with a fizzy drink too, or at least one with ice in it before today is out.

annodomini Wed 22-Feb-17 09:43:18

I do hope she got her fizzy drink! smile

DanniRae Wed 22-Feb-17 09:32:24

grin

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 09:22:33

Bless her! smile?

Teetime Wed 22-Feb-17 09:10:03

Sounds very healthy to me

Rinouchka Wed 22-Feb-17 08:52:13

Sounds about right for an 8 yr old! Adults see nuances where they see essentials(for them).