Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

anxious about imminent arrival

(20 Posts)
Morgana Fri 28-Apr-17 20:42:18

Getting very edgy now. D.D.'s 2nd expected in next week. Worse than having my own babies! We r two hours away and will be looking after G.D. During hospital stay. Let's hope it doesn't arrive during rush hour. ..

Starlady Sat 29-Apr-17 00:20:10

Imo, it can be scarier for us gps because we're not in any kind of control this time, can't make choices and just have to wait and see what happens.

But I'm sure all will be well. Congratulations!

Cherrytree59 Sat 29-Apr-17 00:22:41

Hope all goes smoothly
Agree much harder than having our own babies and also the added responsibility of looking after DGC.
I'm sure it will work out fine and soon you will all have a beautiful bundle to cuddle.
I'm quite envious there's nothing quite like the joy of s new baby in the family.
Let all us GNers know when your new grandchild arrives .
In the mean time flowers

rubysong Sat 29-Apr-17 13:43:00

We dashed to Bristol, 3 hours away when DGD1 was born, fortunately the call came in the middle of the night and we were there in plenty of time. The best thing we did was take a very fancy (charity shop) fire engine, which did a great job of distracting DGS when his parents left for the hospital. All was well and they were home again with the baby before bed time.

radicalnan Sun 30-Apr-17 09:19:20

lucky you, I am sure it will all go smoothly, all best wishes x

lizzypopbottle Sun 30-Apr-17 09:41:04

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I needed it! ? Luckily, my son arrived home with goodies (although fairly restrained i.e. no chocolate) and I nipped out later for naan bread and beer to go with a very good green fish curry (no.1 son is an excellent cook but forgot the accompaniments!) and I fell victim to a bag of giant chocolate buttons, so my craving was fully satisfied! ?

lizzypopbottle Sun 30-Apr-17 09:42:00

Oops! Sorry, I'm on the wrong thread! ?

lizzypopbottle Sun 30-Apr-17 09:46:22

My own daughter had her second baby a few weeks ago. Luckily, I was already there to help out in the last couple of weeks of her pregnancy. My two year old grandson and I had a lovely time when mum and dad went off to the delivery unit. Baby was born naturally an weighed in at 10lb 6oz! My daughter is a remarkable woman!
My

Greyduster Sun 30-Apr-17 09:54:13

I was talking to my DiL's sister last night, whose first grandchild is due in a few weeks. She is mega excited, mega nervous! Took me back ten years, when snow was due and my biggest fear was that DD would go into labour and they wouldn't be able to get to the hospital! I had visions of SiL having to call out his father with the tractor and trailer! It didn't happen of course; fortunately, as it turned out to be a difficult birth. Hope everything goes like clockwork, morgana!

paddyann Sun 30-Apr-17 10:00:16

my dads mantra when I was growing up was dont worry your mother ,so when I went into labour everyone was instructed not to tell ,sadly baby no1 died days later so not telling when baby no 2 arrived was even more important as she would have been climbing the walls with nerves.Baby two was on time and healthy ,baby 3 was 11 weeks and 4 days early and we had to tell her when he survived his first few days ,in those days no one was allowed to visit SCBU except the parents so she was stressed to the max until he was well enough to see at 2 months old and then only through glass .I was with my daughter when she went into premature labour,though asked to leave by the consultant I sat outside the door and prayed ...and I'm not religious

joannewton46 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:26:35

Given how much quicker a second delivery can be, tell them not to wait too long to tell you once contractions start!
Be prepared and trust all will be well.

SueDoku Sun 30-Apr-17 11:29:17

Morgana Snap..! We're in exactly the same position smile Hope all goes well for your DD

inishowen Sun 30-Apr-17 11:30:57

I'm in the same position. My daughter is due to give birth on the 24th of May. We will be dashing to her house to look after her five year old, and take her to school. My daughter and her husband are going on a Babymoon this week. I'd never heard of it but it's a short holiday before baby is born. They will be away Wed, Thu, Fri. Our granddaughter is going to stay with us and we will battle through the rush hour traffic to get her to school. I don't know how it will work out as granddaughter doesn't like sleeping in her own bed. She says she gets scared.

Legs55 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:40:14

Morgana I'm in a similar position as DGS2 is due in next few weeks. At least this time I only live 10 miles away.

When DGS1 was born we lived 3 hours drive away. I was half packed ready as we were going down to spend the week to help DD. Things didn't go according to plan, after several hours in labour she needed an emergency caesarian, quickly packed & made sandwiches, jumped in car. When we got to the Hospital I was told we couldn't go in as she already had two visitors, I wasn't sure whether to cry or shout at nurse & tell her how far we'd come. Luckily DD's OH & MiL came out. DGS weighed 9lb1oz & was 18 days early (my DD was also born 18 days early). This time if baby doesn't make an appearance in next 2 weeks she's booked for induction on 16th May, I will be jumping at each phone call.

Good luck, hope everything goes wellflowers

Jan51 Sun 30-Apr-17 15:26:57

Hope all goes well.
DD2, who lives 300 miles away, had her second baby on 1st January. She rang me at 9.30 in the morning to say she was in labour, DD1 was on her way to collect DGS and the midwife would arrive in due course. DD1 rang at 10.40 to say the baby was born at 10.20. DD2 had decided to have a bath too help with the pain and our beautiful granddaughter just slid out. Queue paramedics followed by midwife. DGS who is 9 heard her scream at her OH so stayed in his room and cried, bless him. Luckily she had discussed with him the fact that she would be in pain but that it was good pain. DD took it all in her stride. It was just like a small interruption to her day.

pollyperkins Sun 30-Apr-17 19:38:33

I was sick with worry when DD had her baby as scans had indicated there could be problems with the baby. When she went into it took so long that i phoned SiL to ask what was happening and he said there were oroblems so she was going for a caesarian. I was frantic with

pollyperkins Sun 30-Apr-17 19:39:44

Sory pressed send too soon.
Franic with worry but all turned out fine. Difficult labour but baby ok and is now a lovely little boy

pollyperkins Sun 30-Apr-17 19:40:55

My point is its very stressful for us GPs, more than our children realise!

Aslemma Tue 02-May-17 01:56:51

I remember getting a phone call from my daughter at 6am on 2nd January 17 years ago to ask if I could go over as baby no.3 had announced his imminent arrival and she wanted me to be there for her two older boys. She was booked for a caesarian a week later but baby had other ideas. I don't drive but rang a taxi, threw some clothes on and was over there in less than 30 minutes. When the boys got up I asked if they were surprised to see me there but apparently they heard their parents say they might have to ring me the night before.

MawBroon Tue 02-May-17 10:33:32

Still not there?
DD 2 was 2 weeks late, went into early labour the day before she was due to be induced (resisted that ) and DGS took another 4 days.
Next time I am asking for a General Anaesthetic (for megrin )