Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What happens at grandma's stays at grandma's?

(103 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 02-May-17 13:25:10

Or does it - once they are old enough to tell ? grin

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Nov-17 22:23:15

I have to wary of what to use as treats for my DGS2.
He has various allegies so I have to read all the lables in the house.

He does like snacking on grapes, tomatoes and strawberries all of which need chopping up to avoid choking.

I have often said "don't tell Mummy" when mummy is there it is a sort of benign conspiracy.

I would not seriously go against her parents wishes and DD is fairly laid back anyway.

Starlady Sun 26-Nov-17 21:28:09

Jess, I understand what you are saying. But if you never plan to leave your ds with the gps, then you have no problem, do you?

I get that you would prefer if they would simply "follow your lead." But you can't force that to happen. You can talk to them about it once or twice, I suppose. Maybe they will say "okay," that they'll respect your rules when they watch your child. But if they argue or brush off your concerns, then you'll know you can't leave ds with them. In that case, please make other childminding arrangements when you need it and just have family visits with the gps.

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Nov-17 23:07:43

Cauliflower cheese will have to be a good substitute tomorrow with roast dinner.

grannyactivist Sat 25-Nov-17 23:05:31

All of my children think of macaroni cheese as THE food of their childhood. It was always a favourite and was requested for birthdays and when friends came for dinner or sleepovers. Even now it's a shorthand for mum's comfort.

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Nov-17 22:58:02

Ingredients in Mac 'n' Cheese (in a packet):
www.livestrong.com/article/87143-ingredients-kraft-mac-cheese/

I think I'd prefer gillybob's

Deedaa Sat 25-Nov-17 22:12:16

Really can't see anything wrong with Mac n' Cheese (yes it annoys me too!) Millions of healthy Italian children have been raised on versions of it. I don't think ice cream is particularly sinful unless it's lagged with cream, chocolate sauce and so on.
All the American ladies I talk to on Facebook definitely mean macaroni cheese!

gillybob Sat 25-Nov-17 17:57:25

My DGC love home made Macaroni Cheese ( with extra cheese on top) and cauliflower cheese too. Delicious . They also love ice cream served with tinned fruit ( oranges or peaches are favourites) .

I have never been told what to or what not to give my DGC by my DS or DDiL, they just seem to trust that we will feed them well. Good good and the odd treat. Can't see the point of making rules just for the sake of it .

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Nov-17 17:45:40

I think you can buy Mac 'n' Cheese in packets here now too finnochio! I think I ate it once (in Australia) but we were camping at the time so it was allowed.

Why does Mac 'n' Cheese annoy me? Macaroni Cheese doesn't need shortening!

Love the OP!

MissAdventure Sat 25-Nov-17 16:58:09

I think my daughter trusted me to do the right thing by my grandchildren, even if slightly differently. Maybe more lax on certain things, but she was always telling them how she would never have got away with some of the things they did. And she was right! I would have come down on her like the proverbial tonne of bricks!

ffinnochio Sat 25-Nov-17 16:55:56

Friday Mac ‘n Cheese is, as far as my American grandchildren are concerned, macaroni in a cheese sauce. In fact, there are boxes of the instant variety called just that in the States. Dreadful stuff and bright yellow, but they love it. grin

Big Mac is a burger with cheese with other dubious additions.

merlotgran Sat 25-Nov-17 16:47:46

My child minding days are behind me now but I always felt that the DGCs respected the fact that I wouldn't give them anything they weren't allowed at home.

Treats were only allowed 'If mummy says it's OK' which included things like ice creams on days out.

There was never any conflict.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Nov-17 16:29:08

The definitive Mac & Cheese, courtesy of Panera where I think it originated
www.paneraathome.com/products/categories/mac-n-cheese-and-pasta/mac-and-cheese

Friday Sat 25-Nov-17 15:27:31

Two nations divided by a common language?

Friday Sat 25-Nov-17 15:26:04

Never heard of Mac and cheese, except in the states when it meant a Big Mac with cheese.

paddyann Sat 25-Nov-17 10:52:15

we dont have food restrictions ,restricting causes problems further down the line .NO food is junk food .We make everything from scratch ...even burgers although they do get a McDonalds now and again.Mac and Cheese is a firm family favourite and children AND adults need fat in their diet.The obsession with "clean eating" causes as many issues as it claims to solve.If we give them a good variety of food then even sweets wont do any harm.My daughter didn't get any sweets when she was little,a neighbour gave her a very small bar of chocolate as she walked past the gate when D was 4 ...she loved it.I still kept the to the no sweets stuff rule though.How stupid we can be when we're young...we think nobody ever raised a healthy child and we'll do it RIGHT .Both my kids have never had a filling ,both now 30 and 40 are chocolate addicts ....acording to D ,its all my fault ....lol.A few years ago there were multiple reports of children who had malnutrition from an obsession with healthy eating...these kids were being denied foods the needed for healthy growth.

grannyactivist Sat 25-Nov-17 10:32:35

I'm fortunate in that my daughter and son-in-law raise their boys along the same lines as I brought up my own children, so we have never had any conflict. I am slightly stricter and more consistent with my grandsons than their parents and we are in agreement about things like fresh fruit every day, only water to drink etc. 'Granny's house, granny's rules' apply, but usually that means I don't permit something they may do at home.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Nov-17 09:59:28

Friday Mac and cheese isn’t a burger.
It’s baked macaroni in a cheese sauce with extra cheese on top, quite delicious and not unhealthy unless you’re lactose intolerant.
I don’t buy the argument that because grandparents have raised their own children with varying degrees of success, that automatically qualifies them to look after their grandchildren without regard for the parents’ values and boundaries. People behave very differently with their grandchildren from how they behaved with their own DCs.
I would never allow my DGC to have anything or do anything that I knew was contrary to what their parents wanted them to have or do.

Friday Sat 25-Nov-17 09:59:06

????

MawBroon Sat 25-Nov-17 09:54:43

GUM not HM balls tcrblush

MawBroon Sat 25-Nov-17 09:53:25

Take that back about the “Mac and cheese!” blush and absolutely agree with HM balls!

Humbertbear Sat 25-Nov-17 09:32:11

If we don’t follow the rules we don’t get the children, simple. Children should NEVER be encouraged to have secrets from their parents as it puts them at risk. The one thing we have always done though is read to them while they eat. It started as a means of getting food into them but now it gives us topics for discussion with them and has built a store of of happy memories for both them and us.

Friday Sat 25-Nov-17 09:12:51

Of course I’m not referring to you and yours. For all I know you’re a trim size 12 with a dazzling smile.

Friday Sat 25-Nov-17 09:11:26

A mac and cheese is a burger MawBroon (love your name!) in the US. Gum balls are chewing gum - a choking hazard.

And in reply to your comments about good teeth and no sugar addiction....isn’t this the generation that ‘invented’ wholesale obesity?

Judging from some of the threads on here of my peers are overweight, and their many of their teeth are not their own ?

MawBroon Sat 25-Nov-17 08:17:12

Healthy eating is one thing but can we please not let what WAS a lighthearted OP descend into another PC anti-grandparent barney.
Re-read my posts of Sunday 15 May.
However jess I see you have an issue and a point about healthy eating. Macaroni cheese is not such a dreadful meal, though is it but I am not sure what “gum balls” are and they sound like sweets? And are doughnut holes what I think they are? The “middles” , high fat, high sugar. You are not being consistent then are you.
I suppose the issue of what children eat at meals at grandma’s may depend on whether this is a one off or a regular occurrence. Surely there must be room for discussion?
In defence of us grandparents, all I would add is that we somehow managed to raise you our adult children, presumably with all your own teeth, no sugar addiction and (still) in excellent health.
Can’t be that clueless then tchsmile

loopyloo Sat 25-Nov-17 07:39:53

I agree, don't think children should ever be told to keep secrets. Except at Christmas.......