Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Baby with only one kidney

(4 Posts)
JaniedL Fri 19-May-17 09:56:26

Hi
Hope someone can offer advice. My daughter is expecting her second baby and had her 20 week scan yesterday. She is having a girl (yay!) but they told her that the baby only has one functioning kidney. This is a real shock. She is being referred to a bigger hospital for further investigation.
Has anyone been through the same thing? If so, I would love to hear your story.
Janie

tanith Fri 19-May-17 10:08:34

'JaniedL' your other post about the same subject got lots of response about the problem.

Regalo Fri 19-May-17 10:12:27

Our seven month grandson was diagnosed with a Wilms tumour on one kidney. After major surgery to remove the tumour, the kidney and 5 months of chemo, he is on 3 monthly check ups and doing well. It is no problem to have one kidney as it is perfectly capable of coping...think how many people donate their kidney and the other one takes over. The only thing we have been told is no boxing....but I am more than happy that he never boxes in his life! It may be that your grandaughter will need regular checks. Certainly our little grandsons one kidney is working perfectly. I hope the referral is reassuring for you all. Let me know. Xx

JaniedL Fri 19-May-17 10:25:11

tanith, sorry! New to this and thought first post hadn't worked!
Regalo, thanks for your post. Really made me feel better.