Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Fourteen year old granddaughter is harder to mind than when she was two - Part II

(14 Posts)
willa45 Fri 26-May-17 03:03:54

In March of this year I wrote to you with a problem. I wanted to give you an update and thankfully some closure!

For those of you who joined in, the issue was about minding our fourteen year old twin grandchildren for an entire week. The girl has a lot of friends and accommodating her social life became a challenge. My post was that I didn't know how to confront the issue without creating a serious conflict with my daughter.

As it happens, DD and our SIL are now travelling to Europe for ten days and they're leaving next week. We get the first five days and their other grandmother will watch them for the remainder.

Many of you wrote with good advice as to how to handle it for next time. Well I took it and had a 'talk' with my daughter. At first, I was met with hostility and defensive comments "....I have a different style of parenting etc. etc....she's afraid she'll be a 'prisoner'" and so on and so forth. (That conversation didn't end well). I told her in no uncertain terms that if we were going to watch them, both had to abide by our rules. She didn't exactly hang up on me, but said she had to go and then she hung up. I later got a text saying she could pay a sitter to watch them on the weekend until the other grandmother comes and we only had to watch them for three school days.

I responded by saying we had no problem watching them for the full five days including weekend as long as they abide by very simple rules i.e They have to concur that we are the adults, that we are responsible for them while parents are away, and that the adults have the last say...not the fourteen year olds!

DD responded with a very long (text) letter Letter that included GD asking permission for two or three planned activities. I said that was fine as long as there were no last minute surprises or changes in plans. She agreed. We were then told how much they appreciate our help, how much they love us etc. etc. End of story

So thank you my dear gransnet friends.... the advice you gave me was right on!

PS. I often give other people advice with such surety. Funny how one loses all semblance of clarity when a problem is up close and personal.

cornergran Fri 26-May-17 05:28:03

That sounds better willa. Well done smile. Wishing you all a happy visit with less worry and exhaustion.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 06:49:19

Glad to hear of the good outcome, willa. I've recently had to do a bit of drawing lines that aren't to be crossed by a certain teenager. It can be hard work but it's worth it when they finally get where you're coming from.

Tessa101 Sat 27-May-17 09:28:41

So pleased it all turned out well for all concerned. And thank you letting us know the outcome, as often I wonder how peoples situations turned out after giving advise and always hope it is a happy ending.

Disgruntled Sat 27-May-17 09:36:17

Oh well done, Willa! How heart warming to hear of a good resolution to a problem. Thank you for sharing that with us. I'm hoping it will give me courage if and when I need it....! (I used to think grandparenting would be a doddle! Maybe sitting on the sofa with one arm round a child, reading a book - hah!) flowers

grandMattie Sat 27-May-17 09:43:50

Oh*Willa*, I'm so glad it all ended well. Being distanced from one's DCs for such silly reasons is so very sad!
Well done for being firm but tactful.

Luckygirl Sat 27-May-17 09:44:02

Well done indeed! Teenage girls (I have no experience of boys) need firm (but fair) boundaries and you gave them a sense of security. It is brilliant that all this was achieved without a major falling out. Such good news.

ajanela Sat 27-May-17 09:55:58

Maybe the parents will now follow your guidance and set more boundaries and remember who is the adult.

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-May-17 10:02:21

I think it says a lot Willa about the good, adult relationship you have with your daughter. I hope this visit goes smoothly .

Kitspurr Sat 27-May-17 10:09:43

NanaandGrampy, exactly.

Thats a great outcome Willa

Jane43 Sat 27-May-17 10:13:24

So glad you had a happy ending.

Starlady Sat 27-May-17 12:49:11

Agree with NandG and Kitspurr.

Glad it all is working out fine. Hope you have a lovely 5 days!

Caro1954 Sat 27-May-17 13:59:09

Well done, Willa!

willa45 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:34:25

Update:
Things went well this time around! Twins came straight home with us after school every day. They did their homework, ate dinner, played Rummy with us on Wed night and we baked cookies on Thu night. They walked the dog every day (and didn't forget to feed him), put out the garbage, helped clear the table etc. all of this without any eye rolling or complaints.
On Friday, we rented a movie 'Dog's Purpose'. Despite initial reluctance, they sat down to watch with us. DGD later declared that she 'loved' it and DGS said it was 'really good'.

On Saturday afternoon/evening there was a birthday party (we drove them to and back). DD also left us four tickets for Sunday afternoon matinee (live play of Mary Poppins) and we took them to a restaurant afterwards. Their other grandma arrived right on schedule Monday morning and we handed her the house keys with a few instructions (and much relief). DD and SIL arrive Friday.