Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

grandparenting classes

(63 Posts)
angie73 Sat 27-May-17 10:49:26

I have read a lot about the growth of grandmothering classes recently and wonder if anyone knows of any in London or close by.

ajanela Tue 30-May-17 20:12:05

The class I gave was free.

Norah Tue 30-May-17 15:15:43

My GD is doing baby led weaning with her child (my GGD). All seems well to me. She brings me the food she wants her daughter to eat and we get on to it. Bits, work to clean it all up.

dumdum Mon 29-May-17 23:41:51

The one that did the baby led weaning eats anything and everything now, so think it has helped.The eldest, now nearly 10 went through the jars etc, but never seemed to really enjoy them, and is now the fussiest, slowest eater of them all.
Again, their parents were very gentle and kind and gave me a book to read which made sense, when we were doing the baby led weaning. No regrets. Don't think I'd do Grandparent classes, just listen to what parents want you to do.

cornergran Mon 29-May-17 23:06:23

Have just survived baby led weaning. smile. Fortunately our daughter in law is both approachable and kind. She explained why she wanted to do it (as she had with sleeping and other aspects of care), how to do it and then trusted us to do it the when we were caring for Littlest. She even suggested the foods he was least likely to choke on for our shifts! Terrifying at times but we all survived! To be honest I'm not sure it has made much difference now, but who knows, it may have. The key for us was listening and understanding the preferences of the parents and then applying their wishes as much as we could. Would I have gone to grand parenting classes? I might if it had been just one or two and I could make the day and time, approaches evolve and it's good to know current thinking.

dumdum Mon 29-May-17 22:31:54

Anyone come across 'baby led weaning'? As GP need nerves of steel at the beginning to go with this, but, I did as I was asked, and all worked well. I was terrified dgs was going to choke though

DIL1991 Mon 29-May-17 21:02:15

I'm Canadian not American and out health system is at par with the UK (WAY better than the he US)

TriciaF Mon 29-May-17 20:38:19

If this continues there will be fewer grandparent carers.
Next thing it will be compulsory, and after that Police checks?

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 20:28:06

watching young children and caregiver do not sound like British expressions to me, more an American turn of phrase.

Perhaps DIL1991 lives in America and their health visitors may have different ideas than ours, or perhaps have only just caught up with the advanced methods of the British.

rafichagran Mon 29-May-17 19:49:25

Idid not have a 1st aid certificate when my children were young and they came out unscathed, so why does PP think we should as Grandparents?
There have always been different ways of thinking when it comes to babies, how about that thing called common sense I found it very useful.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 18:02:51

I should add that my sister-in-law is older than me and all her children are quite a bit older than mine too!

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 18:02:08

I think they did that many years ago, my sister-in-law recommended it to help DD1 sleep at night - but that was over 40 years ago. I didn't take up the recommendation, it was a no-no even then!

Norah Mon 29-May-17 17:58:11

DIL1991, Because whenever I try to explain the new concepts we usually get the handwave of "yeah yeah I know" and are ignored.

It sounds like you do have a problem being ignored. I would not allow anyone who ignored me or did not follow my rules to childmind. To the rest of us who do as we are asked classes would be to waste time.

janeainsworth Mon 29-May-17 17:52:14

jalima Cereal in bottles - who does that?

I left DD2 with my DM when she was about 8 months old. When I got back, DD was squawking and DM looking puzzled. DD it seemed, couldn't suck the milk out of her bottle.
On examination I found that instead of mixing DD's milk with formula, DM had tried to make it with Farex which had blocked the teat shockgrin

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 17:46:52

During hot weather, keep your baby in a cool place, out of the sun. Offer her plenty of drinks. If your baby is only breastfed, she won’t need extra water on a hot day. But if she is formula-fed or on solids, offer her water, too.

You can tell if the baby is dehydrated by gently running your fingers over the fontanelle. It will be depressed.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 17:43:37

Thanks for the explanation re the water.

I think most of us are aware that too much water can cause problems but I don't remember electrolytes messing up babies' systems or making them very sick during very hot summers. No-one would give a baby more than an ounce of boiled water anyway, certainly not a bottle full.

But if the DP said 'no water' then that is a simple enough rule to follow without going on a course.

Doctors, health visitors change their minds so regularly regarding what is right and wrong for babies don't they.

Ilovecheese Mon 29-May-17 17:43:08

There was a thread on here a while ago from someone who had just found out she was going to be a grandmother and was dissapointed that her friends could not share her excitement.

If these classes had been available she would have been able to meet others who would understand her excitement. I would have liked to go to classes like this and meet others in the same position.

DIL1991 Mon 29-May-17 17:40:42

Not all parents are first aid trained. But if you care going to be a regular caregiver for a child you should be first aid trained. Hospitals and doctors try to encourage parents to be first aid trained as well

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 17:40:07

Well, I suppose if grandparents don't have time to take a class so you are educated with the new concepts you have no business watching young children then the parents will simply have to pay for childcare themselves.

May I ask what is with watching young children - I have heard it once or twice recently and it sounds very odd. Watching - surely 'caring for' or 'looking after' is the term used for GP who do this lovingly and willingly?
Watching sounds odd and although I must admit that it is fascinating to watch children play and use their imaginations, most of us are more pro-active with our DGC than merely watching.

DIL1991 Mon 29-May-17 17:39:26

Straight water is just that giving an infant water to drink. Babies who are breastfed or formula fed already get all the water that they need. Giving a young infant water can mess up the electrolytes in their systems and can make babies very sick.

Jalima1108 Mon 29-May-17 17:35:13

The rules changed from tummy to side to back to sleep in the few years when my DC were babies. Back to sleep was the norm 35 years ago.
What is 'straight water'? Or is that something that will suddenly change if we have an extremely hot summer?
Cereal in bottles - who does that?
And I think most grannies know about honey but a reminder would be helpful.

I think most grandparents would ask 'any particular things to remember re feeding, sleeping etc?'

Are all parents certified in first aid? I did not realise it was a requirement of parenting/grandparenting these days.
It is a good idea for everyone to do a First Aid course, I will agree. My knowledge must need updating and it is work-based.

DIL1991 Mon 29-May-17 17:31:15

Because whenever I try to explain the new concepts we usually get the handwave of "yeah yeah I know" and are ignored. And honestly if you don't have time to take a class so you are educated with the new concepts you have no business watching young children. I mean all educators/daycare workers have to take refreshers usually yearly to stay up to date.

Norah Mon 29-May-17 17:21:11

DIL1991, Why not tell mum the new ideas? I do not have time for a class.

DIL1991 Mon 29-May-17 16:54:04

Well a lot of things change over the years. Like "back to sleep". No blanekts in cribs (sids risk), no straight water for infants who are under 6 months old, no cereal in bottles, no honey (botulism risk). And countless other things.
I would also be much more comfortable leaving my baby with someone who knows what the current safety recommendations are and who are certified in first aid (most grandparentong classes offer first aid).

rafichagran Mon 29-May-17 15:07:28

Sorry alot of rubbish, just my opinion.I heard in one class they taught a Gran how to fold the pram. My daughter showed me in less than 2 minutes. Think I will spend my money on other things.

Sheilasue Mon 29-May-17 13:24:19

Quite agree annodomini after all we know best x