Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Does Gransnet have a rival?

(25 Posts)
mcem Fri 01-Dec-17 08:03:20

I've just spotted a new site for grandparents and wonder what others think.
It's www.chotapeg and seems to be in direct competition.
First impressions are quite good - more modern format and font but haven't yet had a chance to delve into the content.

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 08:43:00

What a strange name - it conjures up images of retired Indian Army officers with large moustaches sitting around drinking brandy! I will have to have a look!

Chewbacca Fri 01-Dec-17 08:49:01

It doesn't seem to be very active. The last posts made on most forums were over a week ago and there are only 6 forums. Maybe it's very new? But I agree that the style and font is good.

NanaandGrampy Fri 01-Dec-17 08:52:07

I went for a peek and its a nice layout with almost no content at all. I'm not very keen on the chat layout but it will be interesting to see if it grows or goes :-)

Pittcity Fri 01-Dec-17 08:52:37

Had a quick look and there's not much content to look at.

Marydoll Fri 01-Dec-17 08:55:09

A bit disappointed in it, not very active. However, it does have an attractive layout. The style and layout look very much like American blogs.

ninathenana Fri 01-Dec-17 09:36:35

Greyduster upon Googling I found that it does indeed come from colonial India and refers to an alcoholic drink smile

I don't think GN has anything to worry about. I didn't like the look of it at all.

kittylester Fri 01-Dec-17 10:07:30

In answer to the op - no!

I thought it was hopeless!

cangran Fri 01-Dec-17 10:21:45

It looks like this new site plans to focus on grandparents who look after grandchildren regularly. With so many grandparents, it would seem there's plenty of room for more than one site. As well as GN, I do like the emails on various topics for discussion sent by www.sixtyandme.com (and the yoga course they sell).

grannyactivist Fri 01-Dec-17 10:32:34

Well, they either didn't do their research or they chose to ignore the existence of Gransnet. If they honestly don't know about GN then it doesn't say much for their own media savviness (perhaps a grandparent could help them with google searches grin) and if they do, but are choosing to pretend GN doesn't exist, then they are being disingenuous. Either way it doesn't inspire confidence in me. They also mentioned they had funding to develop the site; where from I wonder?

grannyactivist Fri 01-Dec-17 10:38:11

A-ha. Found out a little more for anyone who's interested.
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vMCHSLww7U0J:www.crowdfunder.co.uk/online-community-for-grandparents-chotapeg+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 11:20:33

I'm impressed at how tech-savvy you all are. I know my way around the internet but I have just posted my first post on FB and it took me an hour - couldn't get the photo to appear!

kittylester Fri 01-Dec-17 11:45:11

I found that first thing GA and don't hold out a lot of hope for it lasting long! grin

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 11:48:53

Well I can’t be very tech savvy. After I posted this morning I went to the website; it kept coming up with this crowdfunding thing and wouldn’t open the page. So I am none the wiser, chaps! Is it time for tiffin yet?

Greyduster Fri 01-Dec-17 11:51:38

Ah, found it! Thank you for the link, ga. Why haven’t we got a “lovely things” area? hmm.

Niobe Fri 01-Dec-17 12:51:58

Chota peg translates literally as 'little tot'. Very clever name for a forum aimed at grandparents who look after grandchildren IMHO!

GrandmaMoira Fri 01-Dec-17 13:54:41

I've just had a look. I'm not impressed that the ads are right in the middle of the page.

NannyTee Fri 01-Dec-17 14:21:26

When I tried to look it said it was a wedding bar ???

ninathenana Fri 01-Dec-17 14:30:07

NannyTee it did take me a bit of searching from the name in the OP there are a few sites listed when you Google

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:49:32

NotTooOld I downloaded all my photos from my camera on to my computer but can't open the file at all, let alone post one on to FB!!

tanith Fri 01-Dec-17 15:03:43

Just took a peek but it looks like they want visitors to pledge money, they have £85 donated so far but it actually says unless £16000 is raised by December 18th the whole project won't be funded. The site is run by Suellen and Sharon from Hemel Hempstead their FB page link doesn't work and it's a crowdfunding page, has no one else got any suspicions?

NannyTee Fri 01-Dec-17 15:31:21

Finally found it. Yes it seems more commercial than Gransnet. I wouldn't be interested. I'm all for the friendliness on here x

NannyTee Fri 01-Dec-17 15:33:00

It's very fishy if you ask me Tanith. Beware sites asking for money eeek !

Luckygirl Fri 01-Dec-17 15:55:49

All they need is ads, not crowdfunding.

tanith Fri 01-Dec-17 16:25:30

I didn't spot that Luckgirl maybe all is well then.