Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New to Gransnet

(22 Posts)
Lilith Sun 14-Mar-21 11:29:16

Hello... I am due to be a grandma very soon and would like to know how folk feel about the whole new world created by new baby and parents as their world is begun anew. I see it as an adventure however I am aware that the first few weeks are tough not just on new parents but on us as grandparents... I will not interfere, will not expect perfection whatever that is, and will support and be there for the new family. My daughter is very relaxed and laid back which is lovely, both parents are prept and ready, I'm not... I am hoping I can deliver what the new parents need, hence advice would be most welcome... Thank you :-)

Newbienanna Wed 10-Mar-21 23:18:05

Hi everyone. My first grandchild is due any day now. He was actually due last Friday but he’s biding his time at the moment! I’m interested in any ideas that people have on how I can be supportive and welcome him into the world without crowding my son or his fiancée. One idea I have had is to batch cook some food for them to put in their freezer. It would be good to hear other peoples views and ideas.

Jackie12 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:13:29

Hi Nanne
Its a shame that was your experience. I've only started one post and I must say I felt the responses were really helpful as they enabled me to view things from a lot of different angles. True, I didn't necessarily agree with all of them, but I was very humbled that people had taken the time and effort to try and help me.
I would say, don't let one experience put you off and if you need support at any point there will always be people here who are caring and will offer their time and support.
Take care.
Jackie

mrsbirdy Mon 15-Feb-21 18:39:45

smile

Blossoming Mon 15-Feb-21 16:05:43

I would tell her, then she knows she doesn’t need to buy one. Congratulations on your forthcoming grandchild, hope all is going well.

mrsbirdy Mon 15-Feb-21 15:55:56

Hi. My daughter has her 1st baby due in May. Nursery shops are not open and she is ultra careful so they don't go out and haven't got anything yet.. I need your opinions. I bought a Bugaboo pram in an Auction. It's new. Black and Sand. Now do I keep it at my house for when she comes? Do I tell her I've got it or is it mean as they haven't got one yet? Am I over thinking?

Jaxjacky Sat 21-Nov-20 16:32:55

Nanne welcome, try the Good Morning thread every day, starts me off well.

Toadinthehole Sat 21-Nov-20 16:21:36

It’s real life I’m afraid. Imagine picking out a selection of say 50 people, taking them all to a cafe,( not at the moment I know!?), and putting a problem to them, asking them to write it down initially. If you got 50 identical answers, you’d most likely think it a bit strange! The problem starts when posters don’t accept opinions, and become confrontational. I steer away from the more contentious threads, perhaps posting once, and no more. I usually just try to answer the OP, and then read other responses afterwards, so as not to be influenced by other opinions. Good luck, hope you stay and get stuck in ?

Nonni53 Fri 20-Nov-20 23:08:55

Hi all -
I am new here too. I just joined...looking for a place where I can discuss being a grandparent and also a place of support other than what has been out there for years, such as Facebook which I quit two years ago and will not return to.
I am hoping this site works out...it seems to offer a variety of topics which is good. I also am searching for a place of positivity. I stopped watching the news, I just can't take it anymore and I cannot take anything negative. It's a very tough world out there now. I find joy in my grandkids. I have 3 granddaughters. I don't get to see them much due to the pandemic, which isn't so great but I do get pictures and videos ...not ideal but I will take it!
I'm hoping everyone had a good day today, wherever you are smile

Franbern Mon 02-Nov-20 13:08:46

If you are able to get an appointment with your dentist - then go for it. They will have so much Covid-safe rituals in place that you will hardly be breaking your isolation.

Corfidorfi Tue 20-Oct-20 12:53:29

Hello I've been a member for quite a while and this is the first time I've needed to call on your good advice. I am well over the vulnerable age for covid 19 but in good heath. Today, the cap on one of my front teeth came off. Is it worth me breaking 8wks of self imposed isolation and seeing a dentist? Or, does anyone know whether the gap it left should be seen by a dentist fairly soon?
glad of any advice. love emojis but I don't there's one for me now lol

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Jan-18 20:22:55

Nanne I was just wondering if you have found this thread helpful and/or supportive?

paddyann Fri 19-Jan-18 20:15:47

why not tell us about your GC ? Everyone wants to share stories about the wee people in their lives ..in fact I'm sure I bore some people to tears I talk about mine so much .I have 4 from 6 to 14 ...everyone a joy and a delight ..most of the time .They make me laugh so much that I cant wait to tell friends what they do and say

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jan-18 19:50:05

Welcome from me too Nanne Gransnetters posts go from plain silly to serious, from happy to sad, positive to negative in fact a true reflection of the world we live in
No one can chat with you until you post a question, a story or an experience to share I bet you ll find plenty of support when you do
Looking forward to more posts from you

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 19:43:02

And this page lists all the topics. www.gransnet.com/forums Clicking on one of them will show you all the conversations on that topic.
Ignore the negative ones!

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 19:40:48

You would probably find what you are looking for on this list www.gransnet.com/forums/grandparenting It has all the conversations on grandparenting.

NanaandGrampy Fri 19-Jan-18 18:59:13

Welcome Nanne , the threads are very diverse and we discuss everything from politics to toilet cleaners.

Are you expecting more threads on actually being a grandparent? Why not start one on a subject you want to talk about ?

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Jan-18 18:46:20

Nanne welcome smile
Are you using the active page to read the threads?
I can't think of any that I have read today which have been negative.
I don't expect everyone in GN to share the same views or ideas.

Please take another look on the active page.

ninathenana Fri 19-Jan-18 18:31:21

Sorry I've just realised that's basically what MissAdventure said

ninathenana Fri 19-Jan-18 18:28:57

Welcome Nanne
May I suggest you start a thread asking for help with what aspect you feel you need support with.
Yes, there can be negativity on certain threads but people asking for help/advice usually get a lot of positive replies.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 17:40:55

Hello Nanne, not all of the threads are negative. Some are very, very supportive, I think. Try not to be put off from posting, because there is lots to talk about!

Nanne Fri 19-Jan-18 17:37:05

I've been a member for a few months and have been very disappointed with the forum. All the posts I see seem to be very negative. As a first time GM I was hoping for more support on how to be a GM and what a positive experience it is