Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

GROUPS FOR WIDOWS

(17 Posts)
issibon Thu 06-Feb-20 19:18:27

There is a meet-up for widow's and widowers in Liverpool every Monday at Tess Reilly's at 12 o'' clock they put on Sunday lunch and theatre give them a try sad

0205s Tue 14-Jan-20 14:50:10

Anyone interested in meeting for a coffee in Luton Dunstable area

Beechnut Sun 04-Mar-18 09:35:55

marylane1996 I haven't tried and neither do I know of anyone who has tried JD. I had similar feelings to you about the join up procedure and wasn't sure it was what I wanted anyway. Like many people I have joined U3A and found a group within that suits me. I agree with Maw and also bikergran last bit.

chelseababy Wed 28-Feb-18 11:59:02

Try the red hat society - not exclusively for widows.

Maranta Wed 28-Feb-18 11:30:51

After 11 years I still don’t like the word. Are men also asked to put down their marital status??

bikergran Wed 28-Feb-18 11:03:31

MawBroom I too after 3 yrs still hate the word "W" I feel like I have been put in a "category" I didn't choose for my dh to die.
One thing I did really get very annoyed at was when I had my scooter (2 wheeled version) once I had put the "W" word it shot up £40!!!! this I thought was discrimination.
I never pursued it as I just wasn't in the mood for fighting at the time.

Why! should we have! to put "W" grrrr......to me I am still
"Mrs" with capital M I am still married its just my dh isnt with me anymore..

MawBroon Wed 28-Feb-18 08:13:07

Can’t face using the ‘W’ word , I have twice had to give my “marital status” and only admitted to “widow” where I had to make it clear I now live on my own.
Other groups such as WI, NWR and U3A may have members who are single/married/divorced /whatever, and I prefer not to be defined by the fact that I have lost my husband. So many women go to things without their partners, it really needn’t be relevant.
I wish you well though and hope you find congenial company.

Luckylegs9 Wed 28-Feb-18 07:15:55

I too looked at Jolly Dollies, didn't sign up for the same reason. Found Way Up a tad intimidating and quite off putting tge amount of personal information they required, their network was outside the uk too. I joined U3A, made friendly acquaintances and enjoyed the classes, our local Widiws Club stopped because if the costs involved. One idea might be to start one yourself. Good Luck.

marylane1996 Fri 23-Feb-18 19:58:54

Hello Beechnut haven't been on for a while but you mentioned the Jolly Dollys and I have been slightly put off as there is no telephone communication just fill in a short form and pay up. Bit concerned being a cautious soul that they don't really give a head office address. Have you tried them or know of anyone who has

Beechnut Sat 20-Jan-18 10:27:08

marylane1996. A countrywide organisation called Jolly Dollies maybe what you are looking for. They could possibly have a group near you.

dogsdinner Sat 20-Jan-18 09:51:23

Townswomen's Guild is another to check out, ours consists of mainly singles and is a lot cheaper than WI. Meals out monthly, different groups weekly.

appygran Fri 19-Jan-18 23:18:11

Hi Marylane

Have you joined the Way Up online site for bereaved spouses and partners. They offer on line support and have local meet ups throughout the country, sometimes for coffee, sometimes a meal and even holidays.

I have attended one of their meetups in Chester it is a very friendly group. Sure there are regular ones in Warrington and Liverpool as well but once you become a member you can register your own interest in a local meet up. If I could put the link up I would but just google Way up. Maybe we will meet at one of the meetups in the future. smile

midgey Fri 19-Jan-18 21:36:34

Have you thought of the U3A, there are often lots of different groups and usually something that everyone might enjoy. Try googling it.

cornergran Fri 19-Jan-18 21:26:44

If there’s a CRUSE branch near you it’s worth checking their social groups. Different branches offer different things, just give your nearest one a ring and ask. I’m sure others will be along soon with better thoughts. Wishing you well flowers.

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Jan-18 21:25:45

St Helens is way out of my area I'm afraid. Does it hav to be widows? My library does loads of good stuff and the WI is fantastic. U3A is often recommended though I've not tried it myself.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Jan-18 21:18:27

Hi there marylane1996. Thank you for reaching out. We're sure there are gransnetters who will be along shortly to offer some suggestions.

marylane1996 Fri 19-Jan-18 18:59:54

Does anyone know if there is a group where widows can meet up perhaps have a meal together and do something to break up lonely days, St Helens area