Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Work

(7 Posts)
ladydawn9 Mon 05-Mar-18 11:43:57

Hi everyone
my son has to have an operation and I let my boss know as soon as I found out and that I would need the day off to care for my grandchildren. Well after weeks of reminding him he has finally said he can not find the cover to allow me to have time off. So now the operation is days away and I am panicking.
my family are my priority but I need my job.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Mar-18 11:56:15

Can you take it as annual leave?

Nonnie Mon 05-Mar-18 12:05:01

I know exactly how you feel. DH had to have a brain scan and my boss said I couldn't have the afternoon off because there was an important announcement being made that day. I already knew what it was, she just wanted me there to deal with the flack.

Did you book the day as holiday? I think you can insist if you did but that depends on what he will let you do. If you need the job I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Sorry I'm not any help.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Mar-18 12:23:32

Can you arrange a swap with another colleague, or are you the only one who can do your job? When I had a breast cancer screening recall, the boss in the Co-op would not give my DH the day off to accompany me.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Mar-18 12:31:12

Have you checked your work contract to see what it says about time off?
If you have given plenty of notice, I'm sure there must be something that can be sorted out, regardless of whether your boss wants to or not.

Beavermist Mon 05-Mar-18 14:33:52

Speak to Human Resources maybe they can intervene or a union rep ? Perhaps offer to take it as unpaid leave

ladydawn9 Mon 05-Mar-18 15:24:11

Thanks guys,
turns out he hadn't "asked everyone" to see if they can cover me. I rang a team member and she said she hadn't even been asked! anyway she said she will cover me thank god.
(my job is care assistant in the community)