Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Teaching `Times Tables

(10 Posts)
mharriet Wed 07-Mar-18 20:36:09

I'm new to gransnet - I do hope I'm doing this right. I help take care of my grandchildren 3 days a week. I've been given the task by my daughter to try and help teach my eldest grandson his times tables. A daunting task indeed seeing I find it very hard to try and keep him still for anything. I needed to share with you all a wonderful way of teaching TIMES TABLES. A good friend of mine shared it with me and after so many weeks of frustratingly trying to teach I was so happy to find it I just had to share it. It's called Table Fables. I can't quite remember the web address but I hope you will be able to find it. Do let me know how you get on if anyone reads this.

Blinko Thu 08-Mar-18 09:59:59

Hello and welcome, mharriet. What a lovely, helpful first post. Can't comment on the Times tables thing as my GCs (that's GN speak for GrandChildren) are a bit older and their mums are teachers. Nice to hear from you, and I'm sure you'll get others with younger GCs joining in.

Franbern Thu 08-Mar-18 10:17:26

When my children were small, we used to chant tables in the car. Think they preferred doing even that to me trying to sing!!!!

M0nica Thu 08-Mar-18 10:52:25

Franbern me too. DGC cannot do this as they live only a short walk from school, but they are drilled in them at school and get tested at home when a tables test is flagged up.

For those interested the site mharriet is referring to, is, I think, tablefables.net/public/Instructions.aspx As she says it is easy to find online and should help many a weary parent or grandparent try to tie down active GC to help them with table learning

Cherrytree59 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:56:32

Thank you and welcome mharriet smile
I will check it out my GDS started reception class last September,
I'm sure its never to young to ease children in without it feeling like a chore for them or us!

Cherrytree59 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:58:04

Thank you M0nica saves me a bit of searchingsmile

mharriet Thu 08-Mar-18 11:02:51

Hi All! This whole new chat thing is new to me - so bare with me. I have the web address that I can pass on which should make things easier. It's www.tablefables.net . It really is working wonders for our little Jake. Oh - thank you Monica - you've posted it already. How clever!

Lyndylou Thu 08-Mar-18 11:13:45

My 10 year old GS's teacher mentioned the other day how good he is on his times tables now (he has SEN and special Maths lessons). I said to GS - see how all that chanting tables while walking the dog has paid off. He didn't seem impressed, I don't think he likes to encourage me in case I find something else to work on with him. hmm. We also had a regular Sunday afternoon slot before Sunday dinner for 10 mins on Hit the Button.

M0nica Thu 08-Mar-18 11:50:23

mharriet, delighted to have you on board the GN express. We are friendly lot, most of the time, although, lets be honest, we do, on occasion, have our moments.

mharriet Thu 08-Mar-18 22:03:40

Well it's moments I'm after! Life can be so dull sometimes. Wonderful to hear your GS is great at his tables Lyndylou.... nothing wrong with the good old fashioned way of learning (which is how I learnt). I can't help but feel that my GC's brains work in quite a different way to how mine did - I can understand the struggle that teachers and parents are having. Trying to teach my GS times tables through chanting as I did wasn't even an option for me! Perhaps I need to make him come dog walking with me - that could be just as hard!