Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Motherly/Grandmother ly instincts

(12 Posts)
SpanielNanny Tue 10-Apr-18 16:41:32

Today I had coffee with a friend and we got talking about the saying ‘mother knows her baby best’ and telling mothers to ‘trust their instincts’ -excellent advice in my opinion. My friend said she too had these instincts with her dgc.

When my ds was tiny, I took him to the gp because I thought his umbilical chord wound wasn’t quite right. I was correct, ds had an infection. The dr was amazed at how I knew, as ds was my first (and only) child showing no real symptoms and the area didn’t appear particularly inflamed. His last words as I left were that he always listened to mum’s, because they always knew their babies.

Fast forward almost 33 years and my dil found herself in a similar position, adamant that something was wrong. I just couldn’t see it, and spent weeks trying to reassure her that it was first time mum jitters. GP’s & HV’s also dismissed her concerns, until the baby was 9 weeks old, when it turned out dil was right.

My ‘instincts’ clearly stopped with my own son confused But what about anybody else? Have any of you kept this special connection with your grand babies? I’d love to hear your stories.

downtoearth Tue 10-Apr-18 16:53:41

I was very much involved 19 years when my DG was born to my then 18 year old daughter 4 years later my daughter died and since the age of 4 have been mum/ Nan, and had to relearn the instinct when all was not right, in my case it was like giving birth to a 4 year old overnight, those long forgotten instincts kicked in overnight.

SpanielNanny Tue 10-Apr-18 17:06:34

I am so sorry about your daughter downtoearth and how wonderful of you to step in a raise your dgc. It’s lovely to hear that those instincts never left you flowers

downtoearth Tue 10-Apr-18 17:55:26

Thank You spanielnanny

ginny Tue 10-Apr-18 18:57:17

My DGS (2) had a slightly red eye a few weeks ago. DD consulted the Doctor and ended up taking him to the hospital (long story !). They told her it was just conjunctivitis and sent them home with drops. Next morning , I just felt that the diagnosis was wrong and when I called Dd to ask how he was. Shesaid she was taking him back to the hospital as his whole face was red and his eye swollen. He actually had a far more serious problem which required rapid antibiotics and could have affected his sight. Maybe I have retained some instinct.

kathsue Tue 10-Apr-18 18:58:07

Ditto, downtoearth. My dgs was born when my dd was 19. She died aged 24 and I've been mum/dad/nan and everyone else to him since then. The instincts did kick in and we're very close.

downtoearth Tue 10-Apr-18 19:13:50

* kathsue*we don't forget do we ...sorry for your loss flowers

SpanielNanny Tue 10-Apr-18 20:20:17

kathsue I am so sorry flowers but again so moved to hear you are now raising your dgs. It’s wonderful to hear that those instincts were still there.

ginny that is a very similar story to the one my friend was telling me. It’s fascinating to hear how those special instincts are now looking after your dgs.

kathsue Tue 10-Apr-18 21:12:32

Thank you both for your sympathy, but don't feel sorry for me. My DGS has given me a purpose in life and we support each other. Coping with the loss of my DD has given me a strength I didn't know I had.

Sorry I've gone off the original thread.

aggie Tue 10-Apr-18 21:26:48

I knew there was something Wrong with DD3 , Doc gave me tranquilisers , she had a dislocated hip and ended up in hospital for 4 months and plasters for 9 months , I had gone back to Doctor and saw a locum who sent her for xray to shut me up

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Apr-18 12:34:58

Strangely, when our DS was home for Christmas he saw his brother, who cut us out of his and our only GC's lives more than 5 years ago.

I never ask about them but Mr. S. sometimes does and during a conversation with our DS, he was told that they'e having trouble with the youngest. He's becoming aggressive, pinching and biting, and his speech, or lack of it, is giving cause for concern.

When Mr. S. told me, instinct kicked in so I suggested that DS suggest to his brother that they get the child's hearing checked. Aggression could be frustration due to him finding it difficult to make himself understood as he's not hearing words correctly.

DS looked rathershockand asked me what had made me think of that so I said well I'm a mother and all be it in name only a GM so I guess it's instinct.

I told him it might be better if he didn't say the suggestion came from me. Of course I don't know if any thing's come from it as I've not asked.

Deedaa Wed 11-Apr-18 20:43:34

DD once called me because GS1, who must have been about a year old had been screaming all night. I went round to see him and, although he was very unhappy, there didn't seem to be any pain in his limbs or body so I suggested earache. We took him to the GP who confirmed that it was a nasty ear infection. When DD said "That's what Mum said" the GP said "That's what we have grannies for"