Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents names

(11 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Meme123 Sat 30-Jun-18 19:53:53

My name given to me by my first Grandson is ‘Meme ‘ after me showing my Grandson Oscar a photograph of myself when he was 18 months old He was puzzled and kept looking at me so I promoted him by saying “Is me me “ and he’s called myself ‘Meme ‘ ever since and he’s now 5 so cute

hildajenniJ Sat 30-Jun-18 20:08:48

My DGS 2 has speech problems and can't pronounce Granny so he calls me Dandy. He calls his Grandpa Dampa. ?

ginny Sat 30-Jun-18 20:33:11

Our 2 year old DHS calls us Nana and Nan Nan.

ginny Sat 30-Jun-18 20:34:41

He calls his two Aunties Ray and Bob which confuses some people !

glammanana Sat 30-Jun-18 21:09:16

My eldest DGS 27 now,started by calling me nanny ana,which over months changes to just nana and has stayed that with all DGCs that followed,when DGS1 was born I was 41 and far to young to be called grandma (such vanity)

JustALaugh Sat 30-Jun-18 22:07:28

I've always been Mamma, my husband used to be Gan Gan, but is now just Grandad

agnurse Sun 01-Jul-18 18:02:54

My DSD has 9 grandparents, eight living. (Two sets of natural grandparents, two sets of step grandparents, plus SFIL.) She has two Grandpas (my father and her mother's father), one Grandma (my mother), one Nanny (MIL), two Granddads (FIL and SFIL), one Nan Nan (stepdad's mother) and one Pop Pop (stepdad's father). I am only 20 years older than DSD so I could be a young grandmother. I am thinking about asking if my grandchildren could call me Mimi or Nana. To me, "Grandma" is somebody who is much older than I might be. (If DSD has her first child before 30, I would be a grandmother before I'm even 50 years old.)

Marylou1977 Wed 11-Jul-18 16:36:52

I’m Mimi. My granddaughter’s other grandma is GiGi. Great grandmother is BaBa.

Anniebach Wed 11-Jul-18 17:02:56

My youngest grandchild age 19 has called me Bro since she was 5.

Middle granddaughter age 21, calls me queen babe

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jul-18 17:09:03

If you're a new grandparent and looking for some inspiration, we have a great page on names for grandparents: www.gransnet.com/grandparenting/names-for-grandparents

My personal favourite is 'nanoo' grin

DoraMarr Sun 02-Sep-18 22:36:11

I opted for Grandma after my first grandaughter was born. Her other grandmother is called nanny by her other grandchildren, and because she is shorter (and slimmer) than me I thought I would inevitably be called "Big Nan." However, she couldn't say "grandma" and called me "mam-ma." Now that's what everyone calls me. Ironic, because my first choice of name was "Mamie', which is what my French cousins calls their grandmothers, and what I really wanted to be called, but it was vetoed as pretentious, as was "nonna."