Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Daughter hospitalised

(16 Posts)
janeainsworth Fri 06-Jul-18 21:43:20

Do let us know the outcome, flaxseed.
It’s a good thing that you live so close to your DD.

Flaxseed Fri 06-Jul-18 20:31:48

Thank you so much everyone.
I know how debilitating migraines are but I am hoping it is that rather than a TIA or stroke.

The thing is - the numbness was 24hrs after her headache so that doesn’t really fit.
Plus her BP diastolic reading was very high in ambulance/hospital which leads me to think this is still all linked to the pre eclampsia.

As soon as her diastolic dropped, she started to feel better.
Thanks teetime - thats reassuring.

I was constantly checking when she has been on WhatsApp today even if she hadn’t been messaging me. It’s very handy/reassuring to be able to check when someone has been active on there or FB!

She’s getting keys cut for myself, her partners Mum and neighbour too.

Hopefully the MRI scan appt will be through soon.

Teetime Fri 06-Jul-18 09:41:52

Flaxseed I am sorry about your daughters condition but t does sound as though she is being closely monitored so that is a good thing. My own history of sever pre eclampsia with 2 babies which did not resolve after the last one was born has meant being on medication to lower my BP since the age of 25 and I'm fine so lets hope when they get her on the right meds the BP will settle. The meds are so much better now than when this happened to me.

Nanabilly Fri 06-Jul-18 08:19:00

For those of you suffering had migraines have you tried a course of feverfew?
I used to get regular severe migraines which put me in bed or at least off my feet for 3days at a time and I read about feverfew so I took it daily for about 6 weeks then did not have migraines for quite some time then they restarted so I took feverfew for a few months and I very rarely have a migraine now .
Sorry to hijack the post but migraines mentioned quite a bit so jumped in with my story.

janeainsworth Fri 06-Jul-18 08:07:28

Flaxseed No wonder you are worried.
But it’s perhaps good news that the medics don’t think it’s a stroke. Hopefully they will be able to give your DD a clearer diagnosis after the MRI scan. The waiting and not knowing is very hard.
I hope your DD makes a full recovery and has no more of these episodes.
Best wishes flowers

eazybee Fri 06-Jul-18 07:42:56

The symptoms sound like a TIA to me (I had one last year) the cause being a furred artery, which was cleared through surgery. It may be migraine, but it is reassuring that the hospital is continuing its investigations to find the cause. I am sure they will be able to deal with the problem once they do discover it, but I can understand how worried you must be.
Good that your daughter is sensible and having people with her. Hope all goes well.

PamelaJ1 Fri 06-Jul-18 07:06:09

Please don’t think that I’m being flippant when you must be so worried about yourDD.but if it is diagnosed as migraine then she may be able to control it by diet.
My husband suffered from them for years, not nearly as bad as your DD’s. He used medication to get him through.
He did an elimination diet to see if he could pinpoint any triggers. Bananas did it for him. He hasn’t suffered since cutting them out.
Hope it all works out for you all.

sodapop Fri 06-Jul-18 06:54:06

I agree with previous posters, this sounds like the symptoms of migraine which can be different for everyone. I know how worried you must be, that never stops whatever age our children are. I hope your daughter gets well soon and they sort out a treatment plan for her.

Grandma2213 Fri 06-Jul-18 01:36:43

I too get migraines with loss or disturbance of vision, numbness on one side, and sometimes struggling to understand or produce speech. This is usually followed by a bad headache. As I get older I sometimes worry that it could be a stroke as the symptoms are so similar. I have to go to bed and sleep before it goes eventually. I have 3 DS's and a DIL who all suffer too so plenty of sympathy in our family. Hope all turns out well for you.

Nanabilly Fri 06-Jul-18 00:52:08

I have frequent tia's aka mini strokes and I know when one is coming because of my eyes going funny. My vision goes pixellated in both eyes . I was told that if my vision goes funny in just one eye then it's an eye problem and if it goes funny in both eyes it's a brain \ head problem.
After every tia I have had I always sleep for hours afterwards.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Jul-18 23:08:13

So sorry to hear this can only add I hope it all turns out well and you can put it all behind you
Yes you’re right the worrying NEVER stops does it

paddyann Thu 05-Jul-18 22:54:41

it sounds very much like classic migraine to me .I just spent 3 hours with my GS at a neurology clinic because of symptoms that sound exactly like this.
He has been given medication and told if it gets worse to call them ..BUT they believe its classic migraine the same as his mother has and I have ,though rarely nowadays.
Try not to stress ,the tests will likely show its not stroke or anything too serious .If its migraine its treatable .

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 05-Jul-18 22:28:53

flaxseed I’m sure you will worry, we all would in this situation, but unless you are with her 24/7 I’m afraid you will have to hope she will be ok. Is there any chance of getting the scan earlier?
Our DD2 had cancer when she was 25 and I worry every time she is unwell in case it’s returned, but I try not to let her see how worried I am.
Just part of being a parent.

Flaxseed Thu 05-Jul-18 22:19:53

No she doesn’t live alone although her partner works. He took today off and is with her tomorrow.
I work full time too and although today was supposed to be my first day back in almost 3 weeks I didn’t go in. I have to go in for the next few days tho (she’ll be with someone most of those days)

She knows she must get straight back up there if it happens again but I’m so worried it’ll happen again when everyone is at work sad

I will get her to check in with me via text regularly but I will fret every minute inbetween confused

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 05-Jul-18 22:13:00

Does she live alone with the baby? If so can you go and stay with her or could she come to you until her scan?
You’re right it is very scary, but I think the fact that they are waiting for a couple of weeks before they do the scan means that they don’t think it is urgent. Maybe the trip abroad raised her blood pressure?
I hope that she is better soon, but as always when in doubt she should ring for an ambulance if she is feeling unwell again.
Your right again, the worry never stops with your children and then it’s the Grandchildren you worry about too.

I hope it all sorts itself out very soon

Flaxseed Thu 05-Jul-18 22:05:54

I don’t often post on here but everyone has been so lovely when I have and I need to talk to someone sad

Last year I posted about my DD2 having severe pre eclampsia. She suffered with her blood pressure and was medicated for 6 months after.
The GP eventually took her off of the medication and said to stop monitoring her bp but that she would assess her periodically.
In May at DD1’s hen party - DD2 had a funny turn. She felt lightheaded and vacant but after a few minutes recovered.

On Tuesday evening she had a bad headache and went to bed for a few hours (she gets bad headaches which go after a sleep occasionally)
I saw her and her 10 month old yesterday when we went shopping etc.
But last night she text to say the vision in one eye had gone ‘funny’
I immediately asked if anything else that side felt odd and it had.
I rushed over and an ambulance was already on its way. Her BP was once again high and they took her in and immediately started the stroke protocol which involved an immediate CT scan.
Luckily, this didn’t show anything significant - but they kept her in and did obs, neck blood vessel scan and bloods today.
Her bp stabilised as did the numbness.
They do not think it’s a stroke but are going to do other investigations including an MRI within 2 weeks.
She’s home now and feeling well but obviously upset by it all.
I just feel numb.
It seems the worrying never stops.
I am so very grateful it didn’t happen last week when we were all abroad for DD1’s wedding, but am nethertheless feeling very scared and feel I need to be in constant contact with her.
What if it happens again and she’s alone with the baby?

I feel so sad and helpless. She’s only just 25 years old!