Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What would you do?

(52 Posts)
Frannytoo Fri 13-Jul-18 12:19:29

A 16 year old grandson is coming to stay from the USA. His girlfriend, who will also be in Europe, is coming to stay for two nights. Do I put them in the same room or in separate rooms?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 15-Jul-18 16:22:44

We would use two rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs and talcum powder spread outside the doors on the wooden floors!

Diana54 Sun 15-Jul-18 08:37:24

At 16 separate rooms, bunk them in with your own kids of the same sex if needed. Other countries have much more conservative views and surprisingly the US is one of them.
Over 18 ask the girl which she would prefer.

pollyperkins Sun 15-Jul-18 07:57:49

Oh I didn't realise they were only 16. Definitely separate rooms then.

Lisalou Sun 15-Jul-18 07:52:46

And dont rush em with their breakfasts!

Peaseblossom Sat 14-Jul-18 18:43:58

My ex husband put my daughter and partner (now married 5 years) in separate rooms. They were about 34 and 37 at the time and were already living together. Bloody ridiculous. If I were them I wouldn't have stayed with him and his wife. I would have said we are a couple and are already living together as you know. If we cannot share a room, we won't visit. He is doing the same with my younger daughter of 32 and her partner who have been living together for about 3 years.

Greenfinch Sat 14-Jul-18 18:41:59

Point taken Squiffy I hadn't thought of that. You are quite right. grin grin

Squiffy Sat 14-Jul-18 18:35:17

Oh no, don’t give them clues Greenfinch, they’ll be harder to rumble bext time! ???

Greenfinch Sat 14-Jul-18 18:32:33

My suspicions were aroused by the opening words. Would it not be more normal to write "My 16 year old grandson". Using the indefinite article suggests a hypothetical situation to me.

Elegran Sat 14-Jul-18 17:57:51

Because it is so similar to previous windups, and because the school holidays have started. The kiddiewinkies, bless them, have nothing better to do than see what the auld grannies will say about something they hope they will think mildly shocking. If you keep your eyes, you soon start to recognise the posts.

knspol Sat 14-Jul-18 17:55:24

At age 17/18 DS and long term girlfriend used to stay overnight. I always made up separate room for girlfriend and told her it was there for her to use if she chose and then left it up to them..

FlorenceFlower Sat 14-Jul-18 17:09:53

Why is this a windup? ?

Jane10 Sat 14-Jul-18 14:03:28

The other Grans just aren't getting that this is a wind up!

Oopsadaisy53 Sat 14-Jul-18 13:49:36

Schools have broken up again,

didn’t we have this question a while back, are they still on their way to the UK then?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 14-Jul-18 12:42:46

I don't know the law in the US regarding sex between teenagers, but in most states it is statutory rape to engage in sexual intercourse with anyone under the age of 18, but I don't know if that applies if both parties are under 18.

I would certainly put them in separate rooms, unless you are absolutely certain both set of parents know they are sleeping together and are okay with it.

Legs55 Sat 14-Jul-18 12:35:18

As they are only 16 it would have to be separate rooms, if they were older, had a longer relationship or were living together that changes things. I would also turn a deaf ear to footsteps in the nightgrin

maryhoffman37 Sat 14-Jul-18 12:19:16

Why not ask them? If they're both over the age of consent, a single room. Or if you don't feel comfortable about asking them, see if you can put them in adjoining rooms. What they get up to is their business.

Iam64 Sat 14-Jul-18 12:12:37

Plimsolls?

pollyperkins Sat 14-Jul-18 11:52:07

Agree with Jaycee. Imagine the embarrassment if you out them in a double room and they don't yet have that sort of relationship! Then they have a choice. They can creep into each other's rooms in the night or not as they choose.
Alternatively ask the parents or ask the couple themsleves (discreetly! )
I have to admit to being a bit old fashioned -I put each of my children's gf/bf in separate rooms - until they'd been going out for long time and had moved in together so I knew it was serious. After that there seemed little point and they all got married in due course.
My parents of course wouldn't have dreamed of putting me and my bf in the same room until after we were married. It seemed very weird to be sharing a room at my parent's house!

Bathsheba Sat 14-Jul-18 11:44:34

Put them in the same room and padlock them into their onesies. That should cause you some merriment grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 14-Jul-18 11:31:18

Great name Frannytoo?

Cornflakes possibly the better option than
maybe drawingpins or carpet tacks
Blood on the carpet

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Jul-18 11:27:45

Separate without question. Even better if at opposite ends of a corridor or landing.

Jaycee5 Sat 14-Jul-18 11:15:56

I would give them separate rooms but ignore footsteps in the night.

Eloethan Sat 14-Jul-18 11:12:06

widgeon Complicit in a pregnancy? A bit over the top I think - it's not a crime to have sex or get pregnant. And what a shame that you view this relationship in such a negative way. A lot of marriages fail. My friend's daughter's traditional marriage that ticked all the "responsible" and "respectable" boxes, lasted less than a year and I know of several similar examples.

If young people want to have sex they will do it anyway. Better, in my opinion, that they do it in a safe and unhurried environment where they are more likely to take proper precautions.

gillybob Sat 14-Jul-18 11:03:04

Oh dear

Pebbles77 Sat 14-Jul-18 11:01:51

Yes separate I agree