Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Recommendations for books for 9 year old boy

(36 Posts)
Liz46 Sun 15-Jul-18 13:47:21

My grandson loves maths but his reading is a bit behind. He is just not keen on reading. He will read David Walliams books because these are a bit naughty but my daughter thinks that these books are not too well written. I will be looking after him for some of the school holidays and will have more time to spend with him than his mother does. Could anyone make any recommendations please? He plays football and enjoys seeing how things work. They still have the 11+ in their area and would like him to give it a try.

Lindylo Tue 17-Jul-18 10:54:59

Stig of the Dump by Clive King. A great read for young boys.

Liz46 Tue 17-Jul-18 08:16:02

Thank you for the additions to my list Greyduster, MiniMoon and absent. I thought it would be an idea if I read some first and try to think of a way of interesting him in them. I'll start my homework today. He already has all the Beast Quest and David Walliams books.

My other instruction from my daughter is to teach my GD to sew. My GD realised from a very early age that Nana can mend things and every time I visited, she had a pile of mending for me. Her security blanket ended up with more darning than original blanket!

absent Tue 17-Jul-18 06:58:32

One of my grandsons loved Lemony Snicket and I gradually sent all 13 (?) books to him over time. He is now far too old to bother with them but they have passed down to younger grandchildren who also love them. There are younger grandchildren who might enjoy them in a few years. They are lots of fun but also rooted in a degree of reality. I rate them.

MiniMoon Mon 16-Jul-18 23:59:09

Another idea might be graphic novels. All sorts of full length stories in comic format. My DGC love them. They even read Shakespeare in graphic novel format.
www.bing.com/images/search?q=classic+graphic+novels+for+kids&qs=SC&form=QBIR&sp=5&pq=classics+graphic+&sk=SC4&sc=8-Here's a link for you to look at

Greyduster Mon 16-Jul-18 21:22:15

I apologise if I gave the impression i thought she was trying to control everything he read. Perhaps I misunderstood your OP. Anthony Horowitz’ ‘Diamond Brothers’ series are good reads, my GS tells me.

JustALaugh Mon 16-Jul-18 10:06:02

Encourage your grandson to read everything, even menus in restaurants, advertising billboards, things like that, when you're with him.

JustALaugh Mon 16-Jul-18 10:03:56

My 7 year old granddaughter loves all the Roald Dahl books, as well as the Beatrix Potter ones.

Liz46 Mon 16-Jul-18 09:57:54

His mother doesn't restrict his reading Greyduster. She is grateful if he reads anything! She does try to control the time spent on computer games though. Thank you everyone. I now have a list in the back of my diary and will start my homework ready for the school holidays.

BBbevan Mon 16-Jul-18 09:21:05

Excellent suggestion Greyduster. Luckily my two DGDs read anything and everything. They are 12 and 9 and have been surrounded by books from birth. I have been in many a home with no sign of a book or a magazine even

Greyduster Mon 16-Jul-18 08:45:58

It occurs to me that if your DD restricts his reading to books she thinks are ‘well written’ he may end up turned off reading. He should be allowed to sample a wide range of books and build his own reading tastes. All that matters is that he is reading. Take him into a bookshop and see if there is anything that takes his fancy.

Greyduster Mon 16-Jul-18 08:34:03

MiniMoon I had forgotten about Beast Quest. GS read those too and enjoyed them. I bought David Walliams ‘Grampa’s Great Escape’ for him and, most unusually, he never finished it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with David Walliams writing either, but it didn’t seem to be his thing.

mumofmadboys Mon 16-Jul-18 08:01:20

I would endorse the Alex Rider series. Our boys loved them. There is something about owning your own new physical copies though in my opinion.

hillwalker70 Mon 16-Jul-18 07:46:08

My 9 year old GD has read most of those mentioned above, I find it a completely ridiculous idea that there are girls and boys books, or clothes come to that, as long as they are reading it doesn’t matter. Fortunately we have long done away with grammar schools here, poor child being judged at 11.

OldMeg Mon 16-Jul-18 07:05:06

It doesn’t matter what he reads so long as he is reading. If David Wallians is his choice then so be it. All mine have been through a DW stage and survived it.

The Horrible Histories by Terry Deary might catch his interest too. Very popular.

agnurse Mon 16-Jul-18 01:35:41

He might enjoy the Magic Treehouse series or the Geronimo Stilton series.

NanKate Sun 15-Jul-18 20:43:06

For anyone with DGCs who are dyslexic or reluctant readers do point them in the direction of the Barrington Stoke publishers who have many great books from mainstream authors but adapted for this market.

MiniMoon Sun 15-Jul-18 20:07:54

My DGS is 9. He has ASD and is a rather indifferent reader. He loves the Beast Quest books by Adam Blade. There are several series of them, he's trying to get them all.

Lyndylou Sun 15-Jul-18 19:59:04

My DGS (10) was a very late starter in reading, he is still behind in his English at school but his reading has come on tremendously this year. He has always been surrounded by books and loved being read to, just couldn't seem to make sense of the words himself. Anyway I have been trying to get him reading more to himself and recently he brought one of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books home from the school library for him and his mum to read at bedtime. A few days ago he said to his mum "I was too hot to sleep so I finished that book by myself. Please can I have some more of those?". So I bought the set of 12 for £14.99 from The Book People and he is now working his way through them by himself. A great step forward for him!

Anyway my message is another vote for Diary of a Wimpy Kid and also for www.thebookpeople.co.uk. They are very reasonable prices and they set things out in age groups.

Liz46 Sun 15-Jul-18 19:14:10

That's where I was trying to go MissAdventure. His mother works very hard (daddy had a midlife crisis and has gone) and she needs all the help she can get. My daughter has a very good job but that comes with problems if you are the only parent.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Jul-18 17:55:34

I think it would be better for him to read something he enjoys.

grannyactivist Sun 15-Jul-18 17:42:54

My oldest son was, and still is, an avid reader, he devoured anything by Michael Morpurgo and thoroughly enjoyed the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. My younger son always read, but slowly, and preferred fact to fiction. We crossed the divide by buying him factual books, but also fiction in the form of audio books.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 15-Jul-18 17:36:50

What about Just William books by Richmal Crompton? I know they are about a boy during the 1930's but I think they might be suitable for your grandson as there are many of them so, if he likes them, there will be a large supply.

Also, they are well written. They were originally printed in a magazine for women during the 1930's so, although they are now considered children's books, I'd say they won't be too babyish.

I always enjoyed these books as a child but don't know whether you'd consider that a recommendation.

grannyqueenie Sun 15-Jul-18 17:13:45

Another endorsement for Alex Rider from me. Our 11 year old gs is a very competent reader, usually will only reads factual books but these caught his imagination and he loved them.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Jul-18 17:11:02

Greyduster I forgot about the Percy Jackson series, they are brilliant.

Greyduster Sun 15-Jul-18 17:08:09

Agree Tom Gates - GS was a fan, and also of the Alex Rider books. The five books in the Percy Jackson series were a big favourite as he likes Greek mythology.