Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Behaviour of 6yrold granddaughter

(23 Posts)
Elrel Sat 25-Aug-18 11:46:18

Just ignore the tongue and say hello to her. Or ask her whether she can roll it or touch her nose.

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Aug-18 11:26:21

Or try “Ooo, that’s a long tongue, if we hang a clothes peg on it it’ll get even longer. Shall we try?” !!

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Aug-18 11:03:50

‘you’re not in the school playground now’
I used to say to my DC 'You can leave your playground manners where they belong - in the playground'.

annep Sat 25-Aug-18 09:39:00

I wouldn't condone being cold, but critical of sticking tongue out- whats wrong with that?

Iam64 Sat 25-Aug-18 09:17:49

easy bee - I'm a grandmother and I simply cannot imagine being so cold and critical with a grandchild, or indeed any child. To threaten to send a child away is not acceptable in my book. Bad behaviour is dealt with instantly, firmly and with meaning but never in a way that rejects a child.

eazybee Sat 25-Aug-18 09:11:54

Your daughter is at fault here by not correcting her daughter.
For a child to stick her tongue out repeatedly at an adult is rude and hurtful, implying contempt; it is not a joke and she will get short shrift if she tries it at school.
Does she do it to other people or just you?
Personally, I would tell her (granddaughter) firmly, but without animosity, that I don't like her behaviour so if she is unable be polite she must go home, but then I am a teacher and not a grandmother.

Iam64 Sat 25-Aug-18 08:55:17

What janeainsworth said. Turning the back is a strong message.

annep Sat 25-Aug-18 08:18:57

Try to ignore but mum should say its rude.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Aug-18 08:15:31

I would put on a disapproving face and make some comment like ‘you’re not in the school playground now’ and then ignore the child until acceptable behaviour has been resumed.

She’s testing boundaries & it needs to be spelled out what these are.

mrsmopp Sat 25-Aug-18 08:02:25

Praise good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour is the best advice.

loopyloo Sat 25-Aug-18 07:50:46

Have been looking after my 2 DGC aged 7 and 11 over the hols and my daughter said they had reported that I was the most civilised member of the family because I didn't shout at them.
Children go through phases. Ignoring bad behaviour and quiet firm consistency goes a long way.

Coolgran65 Fri 24-Aug-18 22:52:16

I'm with phoenix. Our two older dgc age 10 and 7 are looked after by us one day each week and have been since birth. The eldest would not be difficult. The younger will occasionally try it on. I give a stern look and hold his gaze until he realises and then walk away.
If he tries it on again he gets a warning that his iPad will be removed. If necessary I remove the iPad for the rest of the day and give it to mum or dad on pickup.

When mum or dad drop them off they know that 'granny has the power'.
They know where they stand because I am consistent, and can't wait to visit us.

Melanieeastanglia Fri 24-Aug-18 21:51:34

I like trisher's idea.

I'd try ignoring her for a while to see if she gets bored with being so silly. Children do go through phases.

I do admit that your daughter ought to tell her off but I think it would be difficult for you to do so.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Aug-18 21:00:19

Surely it’s something most kids do, I must have cos I can remember being told ‘ If the wind changes your tomgue will stay there ‘

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Aug-18 20:16:52

I would ignore her and let her mother deal with it as she sees fit. Just carry on as if you haven't noticed. She knows she gets a reaction from you.
I must say that DIL and DS would be very cross indeed and my DGD would only do it once - twice if she dared!

FlexibleFriend Fri 24-Aug-18 19:25:29

Laugh.

phoenix Fri 24-Aug-18 19:23:03

A stern look over the top of the glasses (if you wear them) followed by ignoring the child and speaking to the mother.

trisher Fri 24-Aug-18 18:49:03

Stick your tongue out at her. Then smile sweetly and chat to your DD. (actually the tongue sticking out is optional) and ignore her.

Daddima Fri 24-Aug-18 18:45:06

Another vote for ignoring the behaviour.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Aug-18 18:42:59

As above.
I would totally ignore her.
No audience, no show.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Aug-18 18:41:38

I’d ignore it she’s just enjoying your shock and horror and doing it for the reaction you give her

Ilovecheese Fri 24-Aug-18 18:41:32

I think I would ignore it and just start talking to your daughter about something else, so your granddaughter is not getting any reaction.

patriciaann71 Fri 24-Aug-18 18:34:28

My gd is 7 in 2months. She’s always been a lovely sweet child and her and I have always been close. However, the last 6 weeks off school (they had 2 weeks off for our family holiday!)she has been a nightmare with me. She is rude and puts out her tongue as soon as she sees me so we get off on the wrong foot. I reprimand her but my dd says it’s just a joke - this is the same every time she’s rude. She’s not like it with her parents and I’m at a loss as to how to react.