Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Saying words wrong

(97 Posts)
lynda1965 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:56:30

I was waiting for my youngest GS 22 months old to start calling me "Granny" with baited breath.

At last he is, but it's coming out "Fanny" blush.
Oh dear be careful what you wish for as they say.

Patticake123 Tue 25-Sep-18 16:03:26

Thanks to my granddaughter we have all been eating sgabetty bolognais for years!

Juliet27 Tue 25-Sep-18 15:37:53

My brother when small couldn't pronounce Julie so always called me Goolie !!?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 25-Sep-18 15:20:19

My little sister came home from the Brownies once and told Mummy that Brown Owl had told them all about buggers.

My mother promptly had a fit, and it didn't get any better when I tried to explain about "Boggarts" - English was not Mummy's first language so she didn't know the word boggart or very much about British folklore either, It took a long time to sort that misunderstanding out.

After that sister and I agreed that she tried new words out on me first!

Teaching English as a foreign language I was worried when a fifteen year old wrote in an essay "We went to the zoo and afterwards we had buggers". I was relieved to discover that he had meant burgers! I was less worried, but still concerned when I turned to his classmate's essay and she informed me in it "I spent summer at camp playing sucker" Fortunately, she meant soccer.

Nona4ever Tue 25-Sep-18 14:53:08

I knew someone whose little girl always used to mix up the words baby-sitting and sun-bathing.
So - ‘Mummy, will the sun-bather be here before you go out?’

MysticalUnicorn Tue 25-Sep-18 14:47:30

My DGD used to call chocolate cocklick. My DS when only a few months old and experimenting with sounds, managed during the Christmas service in church to put B and G together and make it sounds like bugger! Out loud, when the congregation was quiet! Later on at school when he could ask for what he wanted for school dinner as long as he had it written down, asked for an Iced Bum for pudding! I still have the note.

I love Gransnet, and am so grateful to be a part of it, whether the posts are happy or sad. It makes me feel I'm not alone, and I love the giggles too. Thank you. This thread has had me in stitches!

blueberry1 Tue 25-Sep-18 14:17:38

My oldest nephew use to say his legs were dizzy (pins and needles).My daughter used to sing into the "michaelphone",grandad was Gan-gan and her favourite toy was Pan'dan!

millymouge Tue 25-Sep-18 13:37:02

GS asking mum if he could have some "small geezers" as a treat as dad had bought him some once. Turned out it was Malteasers, but we never call them that any more!!!!

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:24:00

@ Liz46 “why did the butterfly flutter by, because a dragon fly drank a flagon dry”. One of those rather odd newish nursery rhymes my daughter taught me

Marianne1953 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:09:50

I used to call my Grannie, Bum Bum, which in those days the word bum was counted as rude. She managed to turn is round to BonBon and it was so endearing,that she signed her cards so. My Grandson now calls me BonBon and loves it. Now that he’s at school, I’m not sure how long he’ll call me it, but until then, I have a reference from mine to his.

Pearlsaminger Tue 25-Sep-18 12:55:52

My daughter called butterflies ‘flutter-bys’ too... along with Persketti (spaghetti) and om-i-oms (oranges but they were actually satsumas)

Fine at home - but forgetting myself and asking for 2lbs of om-i-oms at the greengrocers had the staff howling with laughter! Luckily the young man serving me knew what I meant as we shopped there regularly and always handed my daughter a satsuma when we went in..

And now to me.. I’m suffering with a bit of memory loss and can’t remember the words I need.

Yesterday I had pins and needles and told my daughter I had ‘stings and needles’ (it works for me. They were stinging!) And the potato masher has now became ‘that silver squisher’ gringrin oh the joys of becoming mature eh?

JanT2004 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:55:25

My grandson told his nursery teacher that mammy had told him and daddy off for fighting with their ‘dicks’ of course he meant ‘sticks’.

grandmaz Tue 25-Sep-18 12:35:34

My big brother evidently called the telephone the 'telling phone'... as a small child...because you 'told' people' on it! grin

felice Tue 25-Sep-18 12:35:13

OOmamOO, I am Ooma to my other two DGC it is Gran in Dutch an I chose it not to cause any ructions with Stepgran and maternal Gran.

Craftycat Tue 25-Sep-18 12:30:00

We still call ambulances DibDibs which elder son called them when small. Funnily enough HE doesn't & thinks we are potty.

marionk Tue 25-Sep-18 12:23:55

My DGD (3) has a pair of flingo wellies, named after the big pink birds on the sides

JanaNana Tue 25-Sep-18 12:21:27

My little granddaughter says " please nana can we have eggypots for tea and okala. This means boiled eggs followed by chocolate.

TillyWhiz Tue 25-Sep-18 12:21:21

My granddaughter had a phase when she insisted in calling her Grandad 'Ganker'. Her Gs weren't that good either...

Willow10 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:21:00

gmelon, I've just choked on my coffee! ??????

00mam00 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:20:59

Our GD couldn’t say Granpa, it came out as Chumpa, which has stuck. Although she is now a little embarrassed about having an Ooma and Chumpa, so away from family she refers to us as granny and grandad, very boring.

Willow10 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:16:33

When my niece was little in the early sixties, it was fashag (fag ash!) and shyadow (eyeshadow). My son called a butterfly a cockafwy - I still don't know where he got that from!

annietelephant Tue 25-Sep-18 12:12:45

Our youngest used to have ‘sparklers’ in her fingers, not pins and needles..still use the phrase and actually think it’s a better description of that odd feeling.

lesley4357 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:02:57

My grandson has progressed from Bum to Grum to Gram. We're getting there!

Blinko Tue 25-Sep-18 12:02:05

what, not 'hat'

coast35 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:01:54

My wee grandson called our local bus which was the 44 the horty hoar. We all called it that until they changed it to the 4a. Not as much fun.

lynda1965 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:01:51

Oh how funny kids can be. I have laughed out loud at the replies.

What a lucky lot we are.

Love this site, I've had so much comfort reading posts and knowing i'm not the only one who has problems now and again.

Thank you all xx