Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

So upset with lack of discipline for GCs

(67 Posts)
Philippa60 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:46:59

Hi, I feel like my mother criticizing how we brought up our kids back in the 80s and 90s and now here am I doing the same....
My daughter and her husband have 3 kids (9.5, 6.5, 4.5) and we are very close, see the kids several times a week and look after them a lot.
It REALLY upsets me to see the lack of discipline!
The kids are all allowed to spend almost unlimited time on cell phones playing games, on the XBox, and also eating junk all day long.
I have tried to discuss it with my daughter and she doesn't disagree with me, but seems unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
It kills me to see the grandkids turning into little monsters from the "no limits" policy...
Any suggestions from any of you?
TIA!

skinnypuppy40 Sat 08-Dec-18 15:33:23

It is not uncommon for parents to treat their children like possessions. I see many comments like ones expressed here "Their Kids their rules" I think it should be "Their kids their responsibility" having said that there is not much you can do except when you are with the GC to try and engage them in a more positive direction. Arguing with parents over their parenting skills, is likely to come up short of the desired result.

SuzanneB Tue 20-Nov-18 18:02:27

I have a 13 year old grand daughter who is uses her mobile lots. I probably see the family about once a fortnight. When I call it's as though I am invisible, there's no communciation with her.
My greeting is ignored or half heartedly acknowledged. I find it upsetting and sometimes it causes silences which are uncomfortable. It happened before and then suddenly she started saying 'hello' but she's reverted again. I have never said anything to her, perhaps her parents have had a word. I think she is old enough now to work it out for herself, which I think will benefit her in the long run.
That's my grouse.

Grandma2213 Tue 23-Oct-18 00:40:40

Thanks Jalima1108 Heard 'Wind the Bobbin Up' in the changing rooms at the swimming pool on Friday (Mum singing it to a tired and hungry child, trying to get him changed)! I had just got rid of it!!! Back to the darkened room. sad

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 11:50:23

No, I'm not googling it grin

I had enough bother with 'Wind the bobbin up' when they were younger!

Grandma2213 Mon 22-Oct-18 00:22:46

Philippa60 and Jalima1108 You are so lucky! Avoid it at all costs!!! Just off to lie in a darkened room and sing the National Anthem which is supposed to get rid of earworms. shock

JustGrandma Sun 21-Oct-18 20:13:59

Philippa60 and Jalima1108 - exactly as GrannyGravy13 said. My 4 year old grandson watches it over and over, and I had that very ear worm all summer. Aaaaaargh!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Oct-18 13:24:55

Baby Shark do do do do do do do - is a children's song, complete with actions which seems to have permeated every media outlet over the summer - google it if you dare, as you will have it as an ear worm for an awfully long time ?????

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:49:17

perhaps it's rap music Philippa
(I wouldn't know, they're not into it yet thank goodness!)

Philippa60 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:49:42

JustGrandma - I don't understand that comment!

JustGrandma Sat 20-Oct-18 20:59:38

I have only one thing to say - baby shark do do do do do do! smile grin

BlueBelle Sat 20-Oct-18 09:08:33

Absolutely I think many of our generation believe our way is the only way and it’s definitely not my big teen grandson loves rap music loud and in your face stuff, I hate it but I dance with him to it and he thinks it’s great he knows I m not keen on it but appreciates me having a go at joining in (I remember only to well how my Nan hated my Rolling Stones records) , it s my way of connecting and he ll something’s find my lovely blues and soul and play them for me and he likes those too
We have to open up to this new world even if it’s not our own enjoyment I m another who was always getting told off for reading under the table at mealtimes, in the loo, under the bedclothes it was my entertainment I m sure if I was young now I d be on the Xbox ( as it is I m on the iPad far too much must get out more )

Philippa60 Sat 20-Oct-18 08:37:58

It's been a while since I posted and I wanted to share an update on this topic.
My daughter and SIL went away for a few days and we were with the kids.
I actually moved in and slept at their house but I suggested that H didn't stay there (from a previous post, I explained how he gets irritated very easily - grumpy old man syndrome!).
It worked SO WELL! I was much more relaxed and H enjoyed the more limited time he spent there.
Another update re. the time on XBox and such - I decided to be a bit stricter and limited time on the gadgets (we played a fun game where I hid the remote and then gave it back so limited their time). The amazing thing was there was NO problem with the kids about this!
It's like they are looking for someone to set restrictions....
The other idea that came to me was to buy a puzzle, bought a 1,500 piece puzzle with a picture of New York (which is where the parents were visiting). It was a stroke of genius if I say so myself!
It kept the eldest engrossed and bonded her so much with H - we were all thrilled.
Just wanted to share these positive updates in case they can help anyone else
Phil

Grandma2213 Thu 04-Oct-18 23:37:15

gmelon grin grin grin

JUSTGEE Thu 04-Oct-18 17:14:27

just chiming in with a wee tidbit,
fortnite is a child predators paradise. We here have had many reports of adults preying on kids through this game.
Please make sure kids are checked on after certain periods of time playing this game and just like the old days of "do not talk to strangers" this should apply online too. Lets keep our grandkids safe.

gmelon Thu 04-Oct-18 11:16:03

Grandma2213 Oh but just think, ghosts can get away with all sorts !

Grandma2213 Wed 03-Oct-18 02:10:49

gmelon so good to hear an echo. It proves that I exist .... I sometimes wonder if I am actually a ghost!!!

gmelon Tue 02-Oct-18 13:41:42

I

gmelon Tue 02-Oct-18 13:41:19

Grandma2213

Their dad I can do nothing about

Oh how echo your feelings. flowers

tickingbird Mon 01-Oct-18 19:49:03

My grandchildren eat total junk and play on phones and ipads. My son tends to put a stop to it but DIL is the same regarding food and lives on junk behind my son’s back. My 7 yr old gd mire or less lives on sweets. It’s awful.

Helmsley444 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:59:56

Ubfortunatly we are out of touch thats what getting old means.
Every new generation that ever came abt thought their parents and grand parents were out of touch.Its the way of the world.we had our time .Now were hasbeens

Philippa60 Sat 29-Sep-18 08:10:42

Lots of great suggestions from you all, thank you very much. I think I may have been over-reacting with this. Perhaps by being less stressed about this due to your encouragement and reassurance, we actually had a lovely evening with DD and the 3 GCs yesterday, and DH was much less grumpy than usual :-)
Thanks again
P60

Grandma2213 Sat 29-Sep-18 03:19:57

gmelon I sympathise. My son also lives with me and I have his children 3/4 (or more) days a week. He is never off his phone and does not respond to anything I say to him, apart from the occasional grunt. The DGC are also IMO too much on screens though if Dad is not there I do distract them with 'real playing' which they usually enjoy.

DGS at age 11 however disappears to the bedroom onto his phone and curls himself up onto the bed for hours at a time. I worry about his posture and the inevitable weight gain.

DGDs aged 6 and 9 rarely play games but watch horrible American u tube stuff about teenagers being nasty to each other, and an emphasis on make up and boyfriends. I have listened to what is being said and honestly it is nothing but omg and words saying nothing much! When they play with their dolls this rubbish is constantly repeated and they are usually arguing and hitting each other (the dolls,
but occasionally the girls too!)

On the plus side the school has involved them in spelling and maths games which has helped them a lot. I hide my laptop and Ipad except to allow these games but then they sneak onto the other things unless I am vigilant! Their dad I can do nothing about!! sad

Shizam Sat 29-Sep-18 01:10:14

Children are being taught coding in schools now. It’s a different world,from the one we grew up in. We need to embrace it. But also to encourage them to get outside, too, on a bike, walk a dog, wash a car, skateboard, find a bug, watch a bird, cook a scone. Embrace all of it. They do multi-task quite well!

notanan2 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:45:07

I remember when the older generation thought that comics were uneducational & dumbing down kids, now older generations are like "why can't they just read a comic or something? grin

& escapism is great, I love the odd trashy non educational book!

Back to what to do: explaining tasks to others is a good skill/mental workout. Ask them to teach Nanna to play fortnite grin That'll make it educational grin

notanan2 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:29:05

I would suggest taking an interest in what they are doing online when you visit thus making it a social thing. Get them to explain what they are doing/playing, this will be particularly good for the younger ones language skills etc.

Things don't have to be an "educational" app to have educational value, get them to explain their planning and strategy to you if they are playing fortnite. Ask the older one to help you find useful tutorials on youtube. Connect with what they are doing at their house. Then at your house: your rules!